HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   sticks and passing (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=606396)

felixno44 02-11-2009 08:46 PM

sticks and passing

hi everyone,

since everybody allways talks about how certain sticks (flex, curve, kind of stick) have an effect on your shot, i was wondering if anyone has noticed a difference regarding passing the puck with different sticks (type/brand).
if so, which stick would you recommend ? what is the difference to other sticks you´ve been using ? is there an effect at all ?

Backstrom #19 02-11-2009 09:32 PM

I've found that it's easy to make passes with a smaller curve. I've always had more pinpoint accuracy with a smaller, less open curve.

Gunnar Stahl 30 02-11-2009 09:45 PM

its mostly the curve. i used a kovalchuk curve and i hit my teammate in the shin with it

Jarick 02-12-2009 10:06 AM

It's all personal preference as to which stick, curve, and length, but there are some guidelines.

It's best to have as much blade flat on the ice for passing. To do this, you need the correct lie and stick length. If the tape on the bottom of your blade wears a lot more at the heel, try a lower lie (or a longer stick). If it wears more at the toe, try a higher lie (or a shorter stick).

The flatter the blade, the more predictable the passing will be. If you have a big curve, you need to push the puck differently as it rests on different parts of the curve. Obviously with practice you can overcome this.

BadHammy* 02-12-2009 10:17 AM

I think it's a trade off with curves and passing. Certain types will make saucer passes easier, but harder to keeper it down on the ice. With practice, you can overcome the limitations but it's something you'll have to concentrate on at first.

pfloyd75 02-12-2009 11:17 AM

I've found that if I am comfortable shooting with a stick then my passing is equally comfortable. I like a deep heel curve with a very slight open face... logic would say that I would have an easier time passing with a flatter blade but I find that the opposite is true.

I think its all really just what you are used to using.

Mr Jiggyfly 02-12-2009 11:23 AM

I can make any kind of pass no matter what the curve... it is actually the kind of stick that gives me a little bit of trouble.

I've noticed with a wooden stick I can make a saucer pass every single time... even if the ice is ripped up...

With a one piece, composite stick, I have to make sure I snap the puck off my blade each time to guarantee a saucer pass.

I can also pick up the puck lacrosse style with a wooden stick 10 times out of 10... but with the composite stick I can do it maybe 5 out of 10...

I've been using a composite for about 2 years and I always think I like it until I pick up a wooden stick and things just seem easier and more natural for me...