HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Primeau vs Nieuwendyk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=60827)

bennysflyers16 03-10-2004 03:48 PM

Primeau vs Nieuwendyk

The debate is getting heated in the general board, calling all Leaf haters to join the arguing !

FlyersGuy69 03-10-2004 04:12 PM

I'll take Primeau myself.

Teezax 03-10-2004 04:17 PM

I've already chimed in with my 2 cents ;)

Blindside9711 03-10-2004 04:33 PM

Personally speaking, from 11 years of experience, I say it's never worthwhile to argue anything with a Leaf fan.
They're kind of like Flyers fans, only they lack intelligence, reasoning, logic, common sense and accountability. :D

tytech 03-10-2004 04:34 PM

Greatest player and hockey mind of all time-->Gretzky, left Primeau off team Canada only two years ago but did have Joe playing. That has to count for something in this debate.

bennysflyers16 03-10-2004 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blindside9711
Personally speaking, from 11 years of experience, I say it's never worthwhile to argue anything with a Leaf fan.
They're kind of like Flyers fans, only they lack intelligence, reasoning, logic, common sense and accountability. :D

Awesome

Blindside9711 03-10-2004 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tytech
Greatest player and hockey mind of all time-->Gretzky, left Primeau off team Canada only two years ago but did have Joe playing. That has to count for something in this debate.

Gretzky lost all credibility in my books when he chose Fleury to play for Team Canada, yet left off Thornton, Bertuzzi, Primeau, etc. and he still wants the Prosthetic Hip to be Captain Canuck at the Worlds in the fall. What a farce.

donelikedinner 03-10-2004 04:46 PM

Quote:

Gretzky lost all credibility in my books when he chose Fleury to play for Team Canada, yet left off Thornton, Bertuzzi, Primeau, etc. and he still wants the Prosthetic Hip to be Captain Canuck at the Worlds in the fall. What a farce.

i agree. gretz is definitely losing his hockey mind. if lemieux plays in the worlds at the expense of thornton, primeau et al., he will show how far out of touch he has become with the nhl.

as for Primeau vs Nieuwendyk, no contest: PRIMEAU!

Bob Clarke Fan Club 03-10-2004 05:05 PM

Primeau....no question....although Joe is a class act and a credit to the Leafs and hockey in general. I even hate them a little less since he signed there. ;)

FlyersGuy69 03-10-2004 06:09 PM

Gretzky was a great player and mind ON the ice. as far as great mind OFF the ice, that reamins to be seen.

RoDu 03-10-2004 06:22 PM

neither are the point getters they used to be, but Primeau has adapted to his new role as the best shut down center in the league, Joe(not going to attempt his last name) is nothing more than a once great player in his twilight

anonymous* 03-10-2004 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
neither are the point getters they used to be, but Primeau has adapted to his new role as the best shut down center in the league, Joe(not going to attempt his last name) is nothing more than a once great player in his twilight

I have to agree. Joe is not the point getter and not a shutdown player either. He is a solid veteran presence.

I read some of the posts on the main board and most people who picked Joe (I'm not trying to spell that either) because of what he once did or give him credit for winning Stanley cups as if he was the only player on any of the teams he won with. I'm not knocking the guy, but some of the arguments are pathetic.

FlyHigh 03-11-2004 08:17 AM

Primeau is arguably the best defensive center in the NHL. While Newy is a class act and a great veteran player, I think that Preems offers more to a team with his defensive play and leading by example.

Teezax 03-11-2004 09:27 AM

Gretz invited Mario as a sign of respect. We're talking about the 2nd or 3rd best player of all time. It be stupid no to give him the C. And Mario did his part in the last championship, will se if he can do it again this year.

Volcanologist 03-11-2004 09:37 AM

Joe is still a really good player.

I think you guys are underrating him.

Coburnfan05 03-11-2004 09:49 AM

Throught thier careers Nieuwendyk > Primeau

As of today Primeau > Nieuwendyk

donelikedinner 03-11-2004 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan
Throught thier careers Nieuwendyk > Primeau

As of today Primeau > Nieuwendyk

Nieuwy was never a flyer. therefore for career and all other comparisons,
Primeau > Nieuwendyk. :yo:

Jackmangurl05 03-11-2004 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donelikedinner
Nieuwy was never a flyer. therefore for career and all other comparisons,
Primeau > Nieuwendyk. :yo:

No need to think about this one....

Primeau all the way !!!!

Blindside9711 03-11-2004 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Joe is still a really good player.

Agreed. He is a good player, when healthy, but admittedly he's lost a step or two from his days in Calgary and even Dallas whereas Primeau is just coming into his own as a Selke candidate and one of the best defensive forwards in the game today.

tytech 03-11-2004 04:56 PM

Quote:

You must be kidding. I have read some pretty amazing things on these posts but what Olympics were you watching? Do you not remember how well Fleury played and how well he aggrevated the other team? He was awesome. We had enough scoring punch to exclude Thornton and other offensive minded guys. Just like every team in the nhl we needed a fine balance of scorers, grinders, defensive offensmen and Fleury type players. We couldn't get any offensive brat that could put up numbers like Fleury could. He was a perfect fit. You have Ruutu, barnaby and other pests out there but none can score, play or be as electrifying as Fleury was. Especially at that time. He was leading the NHL in points when he skated off the ice with the Rangers. This thread is a joke.

Gretz proved himself as a player and did it again off the ice with his olympic picks.
You people bashing Gretzky's mind off the ice is insane. The guy is Genious. Ended Canada's Gold medaless olympics of 50 years. He didn't need, one two or three cracks at it. He put the right players into the right positions equivalent of a chess match. We embarrassed the states. It was the first time they had ever lost a game on home soil in the olympics. Amonte scored first and Canada still won 5-2.

What's it going to take? Another Gold? That'll come but I'll still read this kind of crap from non hockey sensed minds.

Gretz is no idiot. Lemieux brings to Team Canada what Francis will bring to the leafs, what Yzerman brought to the red wings on one leg two years ago etc. You get a team of superstars together and then one super superstar and there is your respect, captain, motivation, inspiration. Lemiuex played awesome on top of it all. He would play awesome with team Canada again too. It's just not inspiring for him to play with a bunch of AHLers in Pittsburgh but get together with sakic, Kariya etc and he would play just as well. He does htings that these guys admire. That's important and for you people to say that Gretz isn't thinking when suggesting Lemieux will be captain again if healthy, is ridiculous. Gretz (and myself) are thiking in way better terms then any of you who frown at the idea of Lemieux in 2004 and don't like the choice of Fleury in 2002.

I can't believe what I am reading.

Bob Clarke Fan Club 03-11-2004 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tytech
You must be kidding. I have read some pretty amazing things on these posts but what Olympics were you watching? Do you not remember how well Fleury played and how well he aggrevated the other team? He was awesome. We had enough scoring punch to exclude Thornton and other offensive minded guys. Just like every team in the nhl we needed a fine balance of scorers, grinders, defensive offensmen and Fleury type players. We couldn't get any offensive brat that could put up numbers like Fleury could. He was a perfect fit. You have Ruutu, barnaby and other pests out there but none can score, play or be as electrifying as Fleury was. Especially at that time. He was leading the NHL in points when he skated off the ice with the Rangers. This thread is a joke.

Gretz proved himself as a player and did it again off the ice with his olympic picks.
You people bashing Gretzky's mind off the ice is insane. The guy is Genious. Ended Canada's Gold medaless olympics of 50 years. He didn't need, one two or three cracks at it. He put the right players into the right positions equivalent of a chess match. We embarrassed the states. It was the first time they had ever lost a game on home soil in the olympics. Amonte scored first and Canada still won 5-2.

What's it going to take? Another Gold? That'll come but I'll still read this kind of crap from non hockey sensed minds.

Gretz is no idiot. Lemieux brings to Team Canada what Francis will bring to the leafs, what Yzerman brought to the red wings on one leg two years ago etc. You get a team of superstars together and then one super superstar and there is your respect, captain, motivation, inspiration. Lemiuex played awesome on top of it all. He would play awesome with team Canada again too. It's just not inspiring for him to play with a bunch of AHLers in Pittsburgh but get together with sakic, Kariya etc and he would play just as well. He does htings that these guys admire. That's important and for you people to say that Gretz isn't thinking when suggesting Lemieux will be captain again if healthy, is ridiculous. Gretz (and myself) are thiking in way better terms then any of you who frown at the idea of Lemieux in 2004 and don't like the choice of Fleury in 2002.

I can't believe what I am reading.

You're absolutely right.....but you're a tad harsh as everyone has a right to their own opinion.