HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Do we Buy or Sell? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=608283)

Pol1ce* 02-16-2009 01:34 AM

Do we Buy or Sell?

Let's analyse the majority of the fan's decision based on March 4th's NHL trading deadline.

Give a simple response on wether we should be Buyers or Sellers now up until March 4th.

My opinion is as follows...

I say we Sell. My reasons are simple and logical. Firstly, regardless if we sell or buy, we still have a realistic shot of making the playoffs. If we do in fact sell, then my thoughts are that playoff contention is still within reach. After the Bruins, Devils, Capitals, and Flyers, there is no other team we should fear.

However, the real point of my argument is, if we buy or sell and make the playoffs then the real question is do we even see ourselves moving past the first or even the second round for that matter? - I doubt it.

Sell and get some new faces in return. The team this year has mysteriouslly mananged to have lost it's will, and if we intend on buying, then our hopes will be directed towards this "impact" player in uplifting the spirits of an effortless club right now. Which is farfetched.

Jeffrey 02-16-2009 01:48 AM

see 2007

We decided to sell Rivet(UFA) but keeping Souray(UFA) and Markov(UFA re-signed) !

With hindsight we should have sold both Rivet and Souray and kept Markov!

This year we have Tanguay, Koivu, Kovalev, Lang, Komisarek UFA with value.

IMO keep Tanguay, Koivu(re-sign), Komisarek(re-sign), Lang(UFA)

sell Kovalev.

Garo 02-16-2009 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey (Post 17957341)
see 2007

We decided to sell Rivet(UFA) but keeping Souray(UFA) and Markov(UFA re-signed) !

sell Kovalev.

I agree with the general thought. It doesn't hurt to see what's there for both option, then decide what you think is best.

If someone offer you a very good deal for, say, Kovalev, you should take it. If not... well, keep him as he could clearly help for the late push.

Could always sell to buy something better too... There's enough time to explore every option.

Philanthropist 02-16-2009 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey (Post 17957341)
see 2007

sell Kovalev.

I concur.

Sell Kovalev, and buy Latendresse some junior mcchickens off the value picks menu.

Addition by subtraction. It's a win-win situation.

Kriss E 02-16-2009 02:43 AM

Who do we have to sell??

Koivu and Komi won't be moved. Tanguay is injured and might not even be able to showcase himself.

So..Kovalev??...That's not selling. That's getting rid of yo crap.

I think not making the PO for the centennial year is inconceivable to our organization. So, I'm pretty sure Gainey is looking to make our team better with 1 or 2 key deals. If that means getting rid of Kovalev, I don't consider that selling.

But I doubt BG will be selling much.

Bumjoo Wang* 02-16-2009 03:00 AM

The bull and the bear are marking
Their territories
They're leading the blind with
Their international glories

Pascal 02-16-2009 03:19 AM

we should sell but we'll be buying because it's the 100th.

Montreal Typical 02-16-2009 05:26 AM

If we're out of a playoffs spot, then definitely sell. Kovalev, Komisarek, Tanguay... all of those guys can go because none of them are worth keeping for next year. I doubt we'd get much for any of them though.

In any case, there's no reason for us to be buyers. We are nowhere close to being cup contenders.

Twister mtl 02-16-2009 05:41 AM

I think Koivu, Kovalev, Hamrlilk, Tanguay probably, and Halak......In return, draft picks and an experienced goaltender to seconf Price, ala Ty Conklin.

ReVeuF 02-16-2009 06:21 AM

I really hope we will be seller, the market favor the sellers, we miss too many pieces to be cup contenders this season.

Habs 4 Life 02-16-2009 07:24 AM

I would sell but I doubt they will.Let's face it with the team we have we won't go very far,max 2nd round.If we buy unless Gainey by miracle can get rid of 1/4 of the team,we won't go very far

RE-HABS 02-16-2009 07:28 AM

We are in the playoffs right now, we are buyers not sellers. No NHL team would be sellers in that position.:shakehead

PinchedNerve 02-16-2009 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RE-HABS (Post 17958193)
We are in the playoffs right now, we are buyers not sellers. No NHL team would be sellers in that position.:shakehead

unless the boys can show some glimmer of hope in the next two weeks, buying at this point would just create false hope. we need to see that the existing core can get it done before we add "missing pieces." Buying is for teams that are close to contending and the way we've looked the last month we couldn't be further away.

FrankMTL 02-16-2009 08:21 AM

I think it depends on how the Habs play in the next 2 weeks before the trade deadline (March 3). There are a lot of things that can happen in 2 weeks. After that time, if Bob Gainey thinks that this team is headed back in the right direction, I think he should buy and give up some assets to try and give the team the boost it needs. But if after 2 weeks this team is still floundering and he doesn't think that one or two players will change much, then he should get rid of the players that he doesn't think he will sign in the off season and try to get some extra draft picks or young players with potential.

ppil 02-16-2009 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RE-HABS (Post 17958193)

We're maybe not sellers because the Canes will have a hard time to reach us, but I don't want this team to be a buyer. Getting rid of our good stuff so our bad stuff doesn't look so bad isn't a good idea.

Agnostic 02-16-2009 08:38 AM

The biggest problem this team has is goaltending. As long as that problem exists the prospect for a long spring is nil. sending 3 or 4 assets for one is not wise until you're convinced the team is amongst the favourites. Selling is not an option while you're in contention for a playoff spot - period.

Stay the course.

Tuggy 02-16-2009 08:41 AM

Both (can't believe I'm the only one to vote that so far).

Sell: Kovalev, Dandenault, Begin maybe others

Buy(using cap space created by sell moves): Top 6 forward (rental), top 4 d either in package with Kovalev and/or prospects/draft picks.

Slippy13 02-16-2009 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earl the habs fan (Post 17958646)
The biggest problem this team has is goaltending. As long as that problem exists the prospect for a long spring is nil. sending 3 or 4 assets for one is not wise until you're convinced the team is amongst the favourites. Selling is not an option while you're in contention for a playoff spot - period.

Stay the course.

I REALLY cannot imagine why anyone would think this statement to be true. I GUARANTEE that the Habs' biggest problem is CERTAINLY NOT goaltending. We are giving up more shots in one game than the redwings do in three. :help:

Sports1131 02-16-2009 10:20 AM

If we're not going to change the coach and see if that gets our players to start trying, we should sell. There's no chance of either happening though and I expect Gainey will be a buyer, which is unfortunate because there is clearly no passion or desire on this team and I'd hate to see us lose quality young players for a misguided attempt at doing anything in the playoffs.

Habsterix* 02-16-2009 10:23 AM

Both! Sell Kovalev, and buy to add a center and a top 4 defenseman.

sampollock 02-16-2009 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterix (Post 17959767)

1st post that came to my frame of mind, for that last 2 months , but can bob do that, when the habs suck so much.

Mustafa* 02-16-2009 10:33 AM

I may be a simpleton but i just want to say it again, if Souray would still be a Habs we'd have 90% of our problems solved.

Agnostic 02-16-2009 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippy13 (Post 17959681)
I REALLY cannot imagine why anyone would think this statement to be true. I GUARANTEE that the Habs' biggest problem is CERTAINLY NOT goaltending. We are giving up more shots in one game than the redwings do in three. :help:

You guarantee nothing. The biggest factor for winning in spring is goaltending, the Habs is in shambles right now. Under these circumstances you can't be thinking about contention and making future for now trades. The biggest thing on Gainey's mind is why Price is playing the way he is, why he's made no improvement since last spring when Biron outplayed him decidedly in round 2 and how he can upgrade the prognosis for this spring without trading away all future. Given that all of these improvements rely on the current goaltenders progressively getting better, it's best to stay the course and wait for inexperienced players to naturally develop.

Agnostic 02-16-2009 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterix (Post 17959767)

not a very realistic option.

Habsterix* 02-16-2009 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earl the habs fan (Post 17959999)
You guarantee nothing. The biggest factor for winning in spring is goaltending, the Habs is in shambles right now. Under these circumstances you can't be thinking about contention and making future for now trades. The biggest thing on Gainey's mind is why Price is playing the way he is, why he's made no improvement since last spring when Biron outplayed him decidedly in round 2 and how he can upgrade the prognosis for this spring without trading away all future. Given that all of these improvements rely on the current goaltenders progressively getting better, it's best to stay the course and wait for inexperienced players to naturally develop.

Price (or Halak) is not responsible for the countless turnovers created in front of him.