HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Free Agent Frenzy (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Malkin (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=608385)

fallout 02-16-2009 11:31 AM

Malkin

THey would wont a top line sniper a second line center top 6 forwoerd a puck moving dman 2top prospects and lots of picks

nilssont 02-16-2009 11:31 AM

where have i seen this before

Mike Farkas 02-16-2009 11:32 AM

We also want to keep Malkin.

dubey 02-16-2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fallout (Post 17960771)
THey would wont a top line sniper a second line center top 6 forwoerd a puck moving dman 2top prospects and lots of picks

tehy want a top 5 forewerd? ? wherd do u get det frome?

yay 02-16-2009 11:32 AM

This won't end well.

Can we just close it now?

Nikita Filatov* 02-16-2009 11:32 AM

2nd round pick.

No one will give what it would take to pry Malkin away....Pittsburgh is MUCH better off trading Staal, Whitney and other replacable players for better wingers.

Andrew B 02-16-2009 11:35 AM

Quote:

You won't get all of that for Malkin

Don't get me wrong, teams would gut themselves for him, but you wont get 3 top 6 forwards, a puck moving dman, 2 top prospects and loads of picks.

More like ;

Top Line Winger
Top 6 Forward
Puck Moving D-Man
2 Top Prospects
2 1st rounders

And thats alot to give.... and alot of salary pit would have to absorb.

Ugene Malkin 02-16-2009 11:36 AM

Teams would pretty much dismantle themselves from contention to land Malkin.

Flyers Fan Forever 02-16-2009 11:39 AM

Pittsburgh -

Malkin
1st 09
6 moving vans
30 one-way tickets to Las Vegas

Atlanta -

Kovalchuk
Little
Bogosian
Pavelec
Esposito
1st 09
1st 10

SkullSplitter 02-16-2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyers Fan Forever (Post 17960946)
Pittsburgh -

Malkin
1st 09
6 moving vans
30 one-way tickets to Las Vegas

Atlanta -

Kovalchuk
Little
Bogosian
Pavelec
Esposito
1st 09
1st 10

Probably the funniest thing I've ever read from a Flyers fan. You might as well throw in Enstrom though.

Asquaredx2 02-16-2009 11:56 AM

He won't be moved, but if he was actually on the table I'd offer Heatley, Volchenkov and the Sens' first round pick.

Probably not enough.

Nikita Filatov* 02-16-2009 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spectraljulian (Post 17961212)
Probably the funniest thing I've ever read from a Flyers fan. You might as well throw in Enstrom though.

Might as well throw in Whitney and Staal too.

Washington Capitals 02-16-2009 11:57 AM

They won't move Malkin unless it's a huge overpayment. Let them keep him.

IWD 02-16-2009 12:03 PM

I think the return would be a little better than Thorton's, but not too much. Aside from the massive contract you're taking on, why would any team gut themselves for Malkin? Unless you're trading crap, which won't get the job done anyway, you'll be trading yourself out of contention in order to what? Rebuild?

IWD 02-16-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asquaredx2 (Post 17961234)
He won't be moved, but if he was actually on the table I'd offer Heatley, Volchenkov and the Sens' first round pick.

Probably not enough.

If you could balance out the salaries, I could see Pittsburgh jumping on this. Crosby gets an elite winger in his prime, two years removed from back-to-back 50 goal/100 point seasons, a top 4 defensive-blueliner and a top 10 pick in a deep draft. Ottawa gets arguably the best center in the league. I think it might even be a bit of an overpayment from Ottawa, but that's me.

Ragamuffin Gunner 02-16-2009 12:42 PM

Quote:

Do you know anything about the Penguins?

wej20 02-16-2009 01:13 PM

If Malkin is traded its going to be out West and the top winger coming back has to be on a very good contract.If we had to trade him tomorrow LA would be the team I want to trade with.

bluemandan 02-16-2009 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Farkas (Post 17960794)
We also want to keep Malkin.

THANK YOU!! :handclap:

At least someone will say it: Pens fans (meaning those who post here on hfboards.com) want Malkin more than a top line winger, a second line center, a second line winger, a top 4 puck-moving d-man, some prospects, and some picks.

Pens fans seem to think Malkin would get a Lindros type package for him. I just don't see that. We know what Malkin can and can't do. He isn't a mean, tough, hitting version of Gretzky. Is Malkin a great player? Yes. But it doesn't look like Malkin can even carry the Pens into the playoffs with Crosby.

The OP basically wants the core of a team for one player, one who isn't even carrying his team into the playoffs. If we use the Blues roster as a basis, the OP is basically suggesting:

STL:
Brad Boyes 40+ goal scorer, 3 years @ $4 million cap hit
Andy McDonald 75+ point center, 4 years @ $4.2 cap hit
David Backes physical winger w/ scoring touch, 2 years @ $2.5 hit
Carlo Coliaicovo puck moving defensemen, 1 year @ $1.4 cap hit
Jonas Junland puck moving defensemen prospect
Aaron Palushaj goal scoring winger prospect
2009 2nd rounder
2010 2nd rounder

for

PITT:
Evengi Malkin 40+ goal, 100+ point center, 5 years @ $8.7 cap hit

I don't think that many Pittsburgh fans quite realize that Malkin, while being one of if not the best player in the game currently, does carry a large cap hit. That cap hit, along with several others on the Penguins is what, is preventing them from competing.

I guess it works differently out on the coast, but here in the mid-west one thing consistently sells tickets: winning.

The point is, any team dealing for Malkin, IF HE GETS DEALT, would still have to convince themselves that they could remain competitive, or at least get there quickly.

Now, I think that for Malkin to get dealt, the Penguins would have to miss the playoffs this year, be out of it next year as well, AND not be able to get any of their other major contracts off the books. All of which is highly unlikely.

I guess my point is that there are very few teams that possess the kind of assets that Penguin fans want in return. The Blues are one. I would guess the Kings are another. But our organizations can only afford to give up so much. The Penguins could get some really good players back on good contracts if they trade Malkin. But to think that they will get good players on good contracts, good prospects, AND good picks is slightly absurd.

As a Blues fan, I would love Malkin as our top center for the next several years. I'm even willing to part with Andy McDonald and Brad Boyes to make it happen. But if the Blues did part with those players, we would need to fill the void. So we need picks and prospects to do so, therefore we wouldn't trade you our best winger prospects and our top picks. Any team trading for Malkin would also be in "win now" mode.

The Perfect Human* 02-16-2009 11:38 PM

Oilers don't have anything to offer, our assets other than Hemsky really blow.

How about this from Washington:

Backstrom
Green
Alzner

for

Malkin
Whitney

mikeod1986 02-16-2009 11:40 PM

If they trade Malkin I'd be shocked....but...

To LA:

Malkin

Whitney

To Pittsburgh:

Brown

Frolov

J.Johnson

P. O'Sullivan

J. Zeiler

1st in 09

2nd in 10

bluemandan 02-16-2009 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icewind Dale (Post 17961495)
If you could balance out the salaries, I could see Pittsburgh jumping on this. Crosby gets an elite winger in his prime, two years removed from back-to-back 50 goal/100 point seasons, a top 4 defensive-blueliner and a top 10 pick in a deep draft. Ottawa gets arguably the best center in the league. I think it might even be a bit of an overpayment from Ottawa, but that's me.

I'm with you on it being an overpayment. Heatly is locked up longer, for cheaper, than Malkin.

But then again, I'm not a Penguins fan who thinks Malkin deserves 3 top six forwards, a top 4 puck-moving d-man, some high end prospects, and a few picks for good measure.

mikeod1986 02-16-2009 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asquaredx2 (Post 17961234)

Probably not enough.

Add Vermette and Foligno

To Pittsburgh:

Heatley

Volchenkov

Vermette

Foligno

1st in 09

To Ottawa:

Malkin

4th in 09

fancouver 02-16-2009 11:50 PM

five 1st rounders

cdenn15 02-16-2009 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeod1986 (Post 17977659)
If they trade Malkin I'd be shocked....but...

To LA:

Malkin

Whitney

To Pittsburgh:

Brown

Frolov

J.Johnson

P. O'Sullivan

J. Zeiler

1st in 09

2nd in 10

As a Pens fan I do not want to give up Malkin. But if it was NECESSARY I would do it for that.

ELab2 02-16-2009 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeod1986 (Post 17977706)
Add Vermette and Foligno

To Pittsburgh:

Heatley

Volchenkov

Vermette

Foligno

1st in 09

To Ottawa:

Malkin

4th in 09

That looks pretty reasonable to me.

The LA seems like a bit of an overpayment from LA