HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Very Good article about "The Boogeyman" (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=61050)

NyCoN 03-11-2004 07:42 AM

Very Good article about "The Boogeyman"

Found this over on Houstons web site. Pretty good read. Sounds like the fans really like him down in Houston.

http://www.aeros.com/team/news/?id=2875

Bookman 03-11-2004 08:46 AM

Thanks for that one NyCoN -- it's as much a testament to McClellan as a coach as to Boogey as a developing player. Another year or two of learning the game, and some mentorship from MJ, and we've got our enforcer of the future.

ceber 03-11-2004 09:10 AM

It'll be great if he can continue to develop his overall skills. Very nice to see him getting a chance to be more than just a goon.

Boogs24 03-11-2004 10:51 AM

This has been up ever since Derek became property of the Minnesota Wild and as soon as it was posted, I got quite the laugh. Personally, I don't think the writer who wrote it had ever seen Derek play but was getting his information from Derek's "PG Fan Group" on HockeysFuture, LOL:

Talent Analysis

Boogaard is not a multi-faceted player. He'll never play more than 5-7 minutes a game and the only reasons that he's dressed are to fight and intimidate the opposition - which he's quite good at. An excellent fighter whose sheer size and strength overwhelms most opponents but, largely because of his lack of balance, he isn't unbeatable. Fought 31 times in 61 games in 2000-01 and, once misconducts are included, his PIM total climbs from 245 to 395. Has a nasty streak and can be a loose cannon, which makes him all the more intimidating. As far as skills are concerned, he doesn't have any. His straight-line speed isn't ghastly for a player of his size, but when he's turning he looks like he's in perennial danger of falling down. To be fair, he has made significant strides in his skating over the past two years, but it's still very poor. Has no puck skills or hockey sense at all. Will never take a regular shift at any level of pro hockey.

Future

Fighting is way down in the NHL over the past decade and pure enforcers like Boogaard are becoming dinosaurs, so it's difficult to see where Minnesota was going with this pick. His upside would be to be an enforcer in the Stu Grimson mold, but it's important to remember that even Grimson once scored 20 goals in a WHL season. More likely is that Boogaard will spend the next decade brawling his way through the CHL and UHL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NyCoN
Found this over on Houstons web site. Pretty good read. Sounds like the fans really like him down in Houston.

http://www.aeros.com/team/news/?id=2875

NyCoN 03-11-2004 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arby
This has been up ever since Derek became property of the Minnesota Wild and as soon as it was posted, I got quite the laugh. Personally, I don't think the writer who wrote it had ever seen Derek play but was getting his information from Derek's "PG Fan Group" on HockeysFuture, LOL:

Talent Analysis

Boogaard is not a multi-faceted player. He'll never play more than 5-7 minutes a game and the only reasons that he's dressed are to fight and intimidate the opposition - which he's quite good at. An excellent fighter whose sheer size and strength overwhelms most opponents but, largely because of his lack of balance, he isn't unbeatable. Fought 31 times in 61 games in 2000-01 and, once misconducts are included, his PIM total climbs from 245 to 395. Has a nasty streak and can be a loose cannon, which makes him all the more intimidating. As far as skills are concerned, he doesn't have any. His straight-line speed isn't ghastly for a player of his size, but when he's turning he looks like he's in perennial danger of falling down. To be fair, he has made significant strides in his skating over the past two years, but it's still very poor. Has no puck skills or hockey sense at all. Will never take a regular shift at any level of pro hockey.

Future

Fighting is way down in the NHL over the past decade and pure enforcers like Boogaard are becoming dinosaurs, so it's difficult to see where Minnesota was going with this pick. His upside would be to be an enforcer in the Stu Grimson mold, but it's important to remember that even Grimson once scored 20 goals in a WHL season. More likely is that Boogaard will spend the next decade brawling his way through the CHL and UHL.

What are you talking about? This post makes no sense. The article was dated March 10th 2004... :dunno:

ceber 03-11-2004 11:35 AM

Quote:

What are you talking about? This post makes no sense. The article was dated March 10th 2004... :dunno:

He's talking about Boogey's profile here on Hockey's Future, not the article you posted. ;)

NyCoN 03-11-2004 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceber
He's talking about Boogey's profile here on Hockey's Future, not the article you posted. ;)

Aww I see. It sounded like he was saying the article had been there since the Wild drafted him... :D

Boogs24 03-11-2004 12:31 PM

Sorry for the confusion!

Quote:

Aww I see. It sounded like he was saying the article had been there since the Wild drafted him... :D

NyCoN 03-11-2004 12:42 PM

Quote:

Sorry for the confusion!

Hey no problem! Good to see new posters in our board! :yo:

thestonedkoala 03-11-2004 01:04 PM

Arby's been here for a while...

Boogs24 03-11-2004 01:07 PM

I'm a "lurker" so to speak

Quote:

Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
Arby's been here for a while...

thestonedkoala 03-11-2004 01:09 PM

Yes he is...

We need you to suit up and play for the Wild when Boogie gets here...

Then we can have both your brothers and you on one line and have the Boogiemen line :D

Boogs24 03-11-2004 01:16 PM

Not quite as talented as the other two, but I'll definitely be in the crowd!

Quote:

Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
Yes he is...

We need you to suit up and play for the Wild when Boogie gets here...

Then we can have both your brothers and you on one line and have the Boogiemen line :D

aylib 03-11-2004 01:23 PM

Quote:

Not quite as talented as the other two, but I'll definitely be in the crowd!

Arby, are you a part of the Boogyman clan?

Boogs24 03-11-2004 01:32 PM

Second oldest bud

Quote:

Originally Posted by aylib
Arby, are you a part of the Boogyman clan?

NyCoN 03-11-2004 03:06 PM

Quote:

Second oldest bud

you guys are brothers?

thestonedkoala 03-11-2004 04:20 PM

Hmmm

Derek- Arby- Aaron

Hehehe

DAA Boogiemen!

:D

Sorry Arby! But :yo: Hanson Brothers Pt II!