HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   GDT: Flyers vs. Stars - 3/11 7:00 PM (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=61052)

John Flyers Fan 03-11-2004 07:51 AM

GDT: Flyers vs. Stars - 3/11 7:00 PM

The Flyers are getting healthier.

Pitkanen returns to the lineup tonight. Seidenberg resumed skating yesterday.

Primeau will not play, they want to make sure he's 100%. IMO I would hold him out this weekend as well. We're then off until next Thursday night against the Leafs. Give Keith an extra week to get ready.

Dallas has been hot of late, up until Tuesday against the Pens. Our games with the stars tend to end up in OT.

Teezax 03-11-2004 08:02 AM

Dallas will look to bounce back after a huge blow against Pittsburgh. They trail their division by a deuce, and they will look to gain leverage tonight. However they are an under .500 road team and we are among the best in the league at home.
Hopefully we will finally come up big after a big win.

Flyers 2 (Zhamnov, Leclair)
Dallas 1 (Lehtinen)

swflyers8* 03-11-2004 09:10 AM

http://nhl.speedera.net/img/team/dal_comp.gif vs. http://nhl.speedera.net/img/team/phi_comp.gif

GAME: Dallas Stars (35-23-11-0) at Philadelphia Flyers (36-17-12-6).

TIME: Thursday, 7 p.m. EST.

Coming off a crucial victory in their pursuit of the Atlantic Division title, the Philadelphia Flyers look to make it five straight home wins when they face the Dallas Stars.

The Flyers took a huge step toward their second division title in three years with a 3-1 victory at New Jersey on Tuesday.
John LeClair set up goals by linemates Mark Recchi and Michal Handzus and scored into an empty net, helping the Flyers open a seven-point lead over the Devils in the Atlantic.

With wins over Dallas on Thursday and New Jersey at home Saturday, Philadelphia would have no worse than a nine-point lead with nine games remaining.

"Our goal was to win our division," Recchi said. "We've got 11 to go. We've got an opportunity, if we have a big week, to succeed."

Flyers coach Ken Hitchcock was disappointed that his team followed an emotional victory over Ottawa on Friday with a 2-1 loss to trade-depleted Washington the next night.

"We're the wrong team to have a comfort level," Hitchcock said. "Our next challenge, quite frankly, is how do we respond after big wins? That's been one thing we haven't had a handle on all year. How we play Thursday against Dallas is the important thing. We've got to find a way to respond to a big win."

Robert Esche responded to a pivotal game, allowing only Turner Stevenson's third-period goal Tuesday. Esche has allowed five goals during a personal three-game win streak. "That's what we talked about after the Ottawa game," Esche said. "That was a huge emotional win, and we had a big letdown in Washington. You're only as good as your last game, and we're looking forward to playing Dallas."

While lengthening its lead in the Atlantic, Philadelphia also kept pace with Tampa Bay in the race for the top seed in the Eastern Conference.

LeClair, Handzus and Recchi have developed into the Flyers' most potent line, combining for 75 points in the last 28 games when on the ice as a unit.

Dallas' first road game in three weeks was a major disappointment, as it had a nine-game unbeaten streak (8-0-1) stopped in a 4-0 loss to Pittsburgh - the NHL's worst team.
The costly defeat kept the Stars from moving into a tie with San Jose for the Pacific Division lead. Dallas trails the Sharks by two points. "Pittsburgh is playing for jobs, playing to be in the league, and tonight is when your best players have to stand up and should be accountable for the loss," Dallas coach Dave Tippett said. "We got behind early and chased them the whole game. It's unacceptable."

Tuesday was one of the worst games of the season for Marty Turco, who allowed four goals on 19 shots. Turco had surrendered eight goals during a personal 6-0-1 stretch.
Defenseman Chris Therien and right wing Valeri Bure, acquired in separate trades Tuesday, could make their Stars debuts Thursday. Therien was acquired from Philadelphia after spending 10 years with the franchise.

Win % 0.587 DAL
0.634 PHI

Avg Goals For 2.319 DAL
2.873 PHI

Avg Goals Against 2.159 DAL
2.282 PHI

Power Play % 16.7 DAL
23.4 PHI

Penalty Kill % 85.2 DAL
83.4 PHI
Top Scorers

Dallas

BILL GUERIN 30 26 56 +7
JASON ARNOTT 17 32 49 +19
BRENDEN MORROW 21 22 43 +9

Philadelphia

MARK RECCHI 26 41 67 +16
MICHAL HANDZUS 17 36 53 +16
JOHN LECLAIR 21 27 48 +17

TEAM Home Win % Road Win % W L T OTL Points
Dallas 0.736 0.424 35 23 11 0 81
Philadelphia 0.721 0.554 36 17 12 6 90

This going to be a good test after the big win over the Devils. Last week, the Caps game was a letdown for the Flyers. They have to keep the momentum going into this game. Turco is right up there with Brodeur, he will be tough to beat. Everyone plays like they did on Tuesday night, I see a Flyers win. Especially if Therien is out there for the Stars. :lol:

Flyers 4
Stars 2

flyersfan02 03-11-2004 09:53 AM

who is starting in goal tonight?

jplush76 03-11-2004 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyersfan02
who is starting in goal tonight?

chico resch :yo:

http://www.through-the-eyes.com/chic..._flyers_sm.jpg

Brad* 03-11-2004 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jplush76

IF that's the case, Dallas will score about 24,000 goals.

Toonces 03-11-2004 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jplush76

Not Chico Resch, Chico Esche! :rolly:

In all seriousness, hopefully it's Esche. He had yesterday off, he can play tonight and then Saturday against the Devs.

starsman93 03-11-2004 12:46 PM

why do you guys call Therien Bundy?

Cuiff 03-11-2004 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starsman93
why do you guys call Therien Bundy?

He looks like AL Bundy from married with children!

MojoJojo 03-11-2004 01:01 PM

After the old wrestler King Kong Bundy :dunno:

Its a pretty old nickname, He's been around forever. Guess we get to see who he doesnt like on the Flyers tonight. Watch, he is going to play like a madman, throwing that giant body of his at anything in orange.

Teezax 03-11-2004 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
After the old wrestler King Kong Bundy :dunno:

Its a pretty old nickname, He's been around forever. Guess we get to see who he doesnt like on the Flyers tonight. Watch, he is going to play like a madman, throwing that giant body of his at anything in orange.

He has no choice, if he wants to remain in the Stars' top 6 D.

bennysflyers16 03-11-2004 01:10 PM

Flyers 4 - (Gagne, Handzuz 2, Ragnarsson)

Stars 1 - (Guerin)

Hawks 2

Devils 1

Pens 3

Laughs 3

Ajacied 03-11-2004 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teezax
He has no choice, if he wants to remain in the Stars' top 6 D.

He won't anyhow. He's only playing for the sake of his debute against the Flyers. After this one, he won't play unless injuries occur. He's the Stars 7th defenseman, 8th if Erskine didn't have a season ending injury.

thedjpd 03-11-2004 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modano = God
He won't anyhow. He's only playing for the sake of his debute against the Flyers. After this one, he won't play unless injuries occur. He's the Stars 7th defenseman, 8th if Erskine didn't have a season ending injury.

You guys are using him the same way we did in recent years. He'll be passed very quickly by average prospects and career AHLers. :p

FlyHigh 03-11-2004 01:46 PM

Is Seidenberg gonna return in time for the playoffs? I wouldn't recommend starting him, but if the PP fizzles or something, than we can put him in.

Flyers 3 (Gagne, Zeus, Rex)
Stars 1 (Guerin (PP))

Is Primeau playing?

tytech 03-11-2004 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyHigh
Is Seidenberg gonna return in time for the playoffs? I wouldn't recommend starting him, but if the PP fizzles or something, than we can put him in.

Flyers 3 (Gagne, Zeus, Rex)
Stars 1 (Guerin (PP))

Is Primeau playing?

Primeau is not playing and he told me to say that he would like everyone to stop asking when he's coming back. Seidenberg won't be back--read the seids thread, full of opinions mind you, but valid ones. Primeau update is in injury update thread as well.

Rex88 03-11-2004 05:19 PM

Flyers 1
Stars 1

As usual very tight
Gags gets the goal

FlyersHomer DM03 03-11-2004 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tytech
Primeau is not playing and he told me to say that he would like everyone to stop asking when he's coming back. Seidenberg won't be back--read the seids thread, full of opinions mind you, but valid ones. Primeau update is in injury update thread as well.

as long as primeau is back for the playoffs--fine. i dont want him to come back against the devils where he might take a big hit, wait until we play a weaker team, start him at 10-15 mins of ice time so he can get his head fully in the game.

As for tonight...i hope the 'big win followed by stupid loss' trend doesnt follow like last week. I think this team realizes they are a few more wins (incl. saturday) and devs losses away from wrapping up the division--

Flyers 3 (LeClair 2, Johnsson)
Stars 2 (Modano, Guerin)
could go OT

Nikkowar 03-11-2004 05:39 PM

I hope for a victory,it'll bring my spirits up,but then again,I don't think I even care to turn my TV back on :cry:

anyway

Flyers 4(Gagné,Handzus,Johnsson,Fedoruk)
Stars 1(whoever the hell wants to score)

GKJ 03-11-2004 05:59 PM

Flyers 4 (Zhamnov, Johnsson, Markov and Gagne)

Stars 2 (Guerin, Therien -- just because that is how the script would be written)

GKJ 03-11-2004 06:15 PM

Radivojevic a healthy scratch? What?

Nikkowar 03-11-2004 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Radivojevic a healthy scratch? What?

To make room for Fedoruk? :dunno:

Nikkowar 03-11-2004 06:27 PM

Amonte! and dinner

blah 03-11-2004 06:30 PM

God damn, another penalty on Brashear for being Brashear.

OHHH MAN SO CLOSE GAGNE.

Toonces 03-11-2004 06:38 PM

I thought I read that Seids was skating already. I guess I'll have to try and dig that up.

Oooh, a vintage Therien turnover.