HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Skating speed (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=610559)

TaylorHall 02-20-2009 11:16 PM

Skating speed

I don't know if this is a stupid question or not but.........

If you run fast, does that mean you can skate fast as well? Just something I've always wanted to know and I'm a beginner skater.

BadHammy* 02-20-2009 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconOilers (Post 18069143)

If you run fast, does that mean you can skate fast as well? Just something I've always wanted to know and I'm a beginner skater.

No, not at all. Speed is probably 60% technique and 40% muscle, maybe even 70-30. To get better speed, work on your technique over and over.

cptjeff 02-20-2009 11:30 PM

No. And if you skate fast, it doesn't mean you run fast.

Skating is a very different motion then running. You're pushing off to the side rather then forward and backward motion.

Tinkeric 02-20-2009 11:40 PM

Quote:

If you can run fast, that certainly means that you have the potential to be a fast skater too. Having good foot speed especially helps for quick starts.

Skating is a different animal than running though. Nonetheless, it's definitely an advantage to have good leg muscles from running as well as coordination and fast "twitch" nerves.

Speed never slumps!

Ragss 02-21-2009 04:14 AM

Yeah there is a lot more technique in skating fast than there is in running fast. I'm not fast by any means on foot, but on the ice I can keep up with almost anyone on the ice.

Headcoach 02-21-2009 08:25 AM

Quote:

Well, most of the guys posting on this thread are correct. However, the one thing they forgot to mention in muscle memory.

The faster you bring that stride skate back to start the next stride, the faster you will go. You can have great power and thrust behind each stride. But if you don't bring the stride skate back to square one and blast out on the next stride, you might as well be walking!

Head coach

backhander 02-21-2009 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkeric (Post 18069380)
If you can run fast, that certainly means that you have the potential to be a fast skater too. Having good foot speed especially helps for quick starts.

Skating is a different animal than running though. Nonetheless, it's definitely an advantage to have good leg muscles from running as well as coordination and fast "twitch" nerves.

Speed never slumps!

good call...obviously you have to be a good skater..but most people that are fast on land can translate to ice

TaylorHall 02-22-2009 08:22 PM

Good info, thanks for sharing! :handclap:

BadHammy* 02-22-2009 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Headcoach (Post 18072067)
Well, most of the guys posting on this thread are correct. However, the one thing they forgot to mention in muscle memory.

The faster you bring that stride skate back to start the next stride, the faster you will go. You can have great power and thrust behind each stride. But if you don't bring the stride skate back to square one and blast out on the next stride, you might as well be walking!

Head coach

Coach is indeed a wise man. I've built up a lot of speed by shortening my forward stride as much as I can. Instead of heel to toe, I go half way heel to right before the toe snap, which I'm almost omitting entirely. Finding the technique that makes you fastest is purely trial and error. Then practice it. Here are a few tips that will help a lot; don't pick your feet up very much at all and don't let your legs get very wide apart. You'll know what I'm talking about when you feel it.

noobman 02-22-2009 08:28 PM

Quote:

Not at all! Do you think Donovan Bailey could outskate Marian Gaborik? :)

Skating and running are two very different things. Being a fast sprinter indicates that you have a pretty good VO^2 max, which will help you in hockey, but it won't automatically make you a good skater. You will have *some* advantages in learning though. A fast sprinter knows how to maximize his running movements by lifting his feet as little as possible off the ground, maximize his forward speed by using long, full strides, and lastly has the confidence to move at a fast speed while keeping his nerves in check.

If you want to become a fast skater you need to focus on your technique first and foremost. The second major component is having strong legs that can add power to flawless strides.

Crosbyfan 02-22-2009 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobman (Post 18108458)
Not at all! Do you think Donovan Bailey could outskate Marian Gaborik? :)

Skating and running are two very different things. Being a fast sprinter indicates that you have a pretty good VO^2 max, which will help you in hockey, but it won't automatically make you a good skater. You will have *some* advantages in learning though. A fast sprinter knows how to maximize his running movements by lifting his feet as little as possible off the ground, maximize his forward speed by using long, full strides, and lastly has the confidence to move at a fast speed while keeping his nerves in check.

If you want to become a fast skater you need to focus on your technique first and foremost. The second major component is having strong legs that can add power to flawless strides.

Sorry, but being a fast sprinter has little to do with VO2, never mind equating to a pretty good VO2 max.

noobman 02-22-2009 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosbyfan (Post 18109157)
Sorry, but being a fast sprinter has little to do with VO2, never mind equating to a pretty good VO2 max.

How about under the assumption that a sprinter with a higher VO2 max can sustain a faster speed over a longer distance than a sprinter with a lower VO2 max?

Crosbyfan 02-23-2009 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobman (Post 18112246)
How about under the assumption that a sprinter with a higher VO2 max can sustain a faster speed over a longer distance than a sprinter with a lower VO2 max?

This is true...but not for sprinting speeds.

Sprinting endurance is not really aerobic.

BadHammy* 02-23-2009 10:16 PM

Answer: bend your knees so deeply that you naturally begin to lean forward. This results in top end speed but takes a LOT of leg strength. Just hit the gym and keep skating.

SERE 24 02-24-2009 01:05 AM

I'm not a "fast" runner, but I'm certainly not slow. I play hockey in college and am probably my team's fastest skater. I play football and lacrosse with buddies from school and I may not be the fastest guy but I'm still up there, you know? I think it's a little bit athleticism. Being a fast runner doesn't guarantee anything, but if you're fast and athletic naturally and you learn to skate well there's no reason you shouldn't be a fast skater.