HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Al Montoya To The Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=611166)

TheKingPin 02-22-2009 02:26 PM

Al Montoya To The Flyers
 
Obviously this guy wasnt going to be traded to the Flyers from the Rangers, but now he s with PHX so...


A former top 10 pick in the draft he has done pretty decent, seems like he would be ready for the NHL pretty soon. PHX has their starter. Philly needs some goaltending help, or at least depth.

What would PHX want?

FlyLife 02-22-2009 02:27 PM

I'd maybe give them Nodl, and thats probably a huge overpayment.

Mike Richards 18 02-22-2009 02:27 PM

NO NO NO Montoya is a failure in the AHL he is not even worth a 3rd rounder.

grabo84 02-22-2009 02:27 PM

Montoya's looking like a bust. You could probably get him for next to nothing.

GKJ 02-22-2009 02:29 PM

If he was close to the NHL, he wouldn't be traded for Fredrik Sjostrom.

TheKingPin 02-22-2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 (Post 18100182)
If he was close to the NHL, he wouldn't be traded for Fredrik Sjostrom.

haha, i meant in age. The flyers need depth in their system in goaltending. If he can be had for cheap id like to get him, start building up the way we did with Dmen. Some goalies come into their own a little latter in life, Huet, Thomas, Kipper etc. I think its a low risk high reward deal.

Plato 02-22-2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 (Post 18100182)
If he was close to the NHL, he wouldn't be traded for Fredrik Sjostrom.


And his value has only gotten worse since then.

DesertDawg 02-22-2009 02:37 PM

And the Kai-Yotes lack depth at goaltending also...

rt 02-22-2009 02:51 PM

Al Montoya is never going to start in an NHL game. He is a complete bust, in the truest sense.

DesertDawg 02-22-2009 02:55 PM

It's still early to say he is a complete bust, some players take longer to get there than others...

silverfish 02-22-2009 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertDawg (Post 18100745)
It's still early to say he is a complete bust, some players take longer to get there than others...

...especially goalies.

grabo84 02-22-2009 03:07 PM

I think you guys are too hung up on his draft position. If he was a 5th round pick nobody would care.

Trottier 02-22-2009 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKingPin (Post 18100110)
Obviously this guy wasnt going to be traded to the Flyers from the Rangers, but now he s with PHX so...


A former top 10 pick in the draft he has done pretty decent, seems like he would be ready for the NHL pretty soon. PHX has their starter. Philly needs some goaltending help, or at least depth.

What would PHX want?

Why would a team that obviously has the horses to contend NOW (as well as later) look to acquire a totally unknown commodity in net?

Anybody want to win NOW?

Answer: Holmgren surely does. Which is why if he looks for a goaltender to upgrade over the dubious combination he currently possesses, it will be for a quality NHL goaltender.

oilerfan17 02-22-2009 03:09 PM

The Rangers would be stupid to trade Montoya to the Flyers. The guy's their franchise player for crying out loud!

But in all seriousness, it probably shouldn't take much to acquire him.

RJ8812 02-22-2009 03:43 PM

we dont even want him

GKJ 02-22-2009 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grabo84 (Post 18100988)
I think you guys are too hung up on his draft position. If he was a 5th round pick nobody would care.

You're right. However, when a guy is taken 6th in the draft, there tends to be some backlash.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trottier (Post 18101030)
Why would a team that obviously has the horses to contend NOW (as well as later) look to acquire a totally unknown commodity in net?

Anybody want to win NOW?

Answer: Holmgren surely does. Which is why if he looks for a goaltender to upgrade over the dubious combination he currently possesses, it will be for a quality NHL goaltender.

So are you trying to tell us that the Flyers are NOT more concerned about getting Cory Schneider and Ondrej Pavelec, who, by most accounts, are the greatest goaltenders to ever come through the American League?

BrindamoursNose 02-22-2009 04:02 PM

I think i'd rather keep the draft pick, no matter what round the pick is in.

At least there's a shot that the pick we would've wasted won't be a bust.

hlundqvist30* 02-22-2009 04:32 PM

Not that Sjostrom is anything close to a superstar, but I'm sure as hell glad we traded Montoya for a quality player while we could. I feel bad for the guy. He was doing well his first year or two in the AHL but with Lundqvist here he had virtually no chance of going anywhere with the Rangers, and he knew it. He was clearly becoming less motivated, and eventually he just tanked. Right now he's worth a late draft pick, like a 5th rounder or so if even that.

Trottier 02-22-2009 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 (Post 18101921)
So are you trying to tell us that the Flyers are NOT more concerned about getting Cory Schneider and Ondrej Pavelec, who, by most accounts, are the greatest goaltenders to ever come through the American League?

If Holmgren were to acquire either right now, it would surely warm the hearts of many chronic futurists...and it "could", indeed, benefit the Flyers down the road.

It would also signal that he is not serious about contending this season.

For Biron and Nitty are not going to get it done, IMO and that of others. And neither aforementioned newbie is either.

And, amazing as this may sound around these parts, some folks actually care about winning the Cup, June 2009. Including GMs of contenders, paid to do so. ;)

You disagree?

(For some reason, I'm thinking you may have inadvertently omitted a :sarcasm: from your post, KJ? )

GKJ 02-22-2009 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trottier (Post 18102608)
If Holmgren were to acquire either right now, it would surely warm the hearts of many chronic futurists...and it "could", indeed, benefit the Flyers down the road.

It would also signal that he is not serious about contending this season.

For Biron and Nitty are not going to get it done, IMO and that of others. And neither aforementioned newbie is either.

And, amazing as this may sound around these parts, some folks actually care about winning the Cup, June 2009. Including GMs of contenders, paid to do so. ;)

You disagree?

I just find it, just a travesty, that the Flyers expect to be Cup contenders, when they haven't even figured out who is going to be our starting goaltender next season.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trottier
(For some reason, I'm thinking you may have inadvertently omitted a :sarcasm: from your post, KJ? )

Egads! I've been had.

grabo84 02-22-2009 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trottier (Post 18102608)
(For some reason, I'm thinking you may have inadvertently omitted a :sarcasm: from your post, KJ? )

That's how I read it at least.

For what it's worth Trottier, I completely agree with you. The Flyers should be going for young backups who won't get a shot for the foreseeable future, or starters who are looking at UFA status. Harding fits the bill for the former, Backstrom for the latter. Either could be available depending on the status of negotiations with Backstrom.

TheKingPin 02-22-2009 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trottier (Post 18101030)
Why would a team that obviously has the horses to contend NOW (as well as later) look to acquire a totally unknown commodity in net?

Anybody want to win NOW?

Answer: Holmgren surely does. Which is why if he looks for a goaltender to upgrade over the dubious combination he currently possesses, it will be for a quality NHL goaltender.

Do you understand Cap hit? Do you understand low risk high reward?


Because thats what we have here. If the Flyers can acqire Montoya for a 3rd rounder, bring him over. IF he can step it up knowing that he has a shot to make the team, not behind Henrik or Brzy, maybe he preforms better than Marty can, saving a ton of money.

What current goalie NOW fits into the cap space?

GKJ 02-22-2009 05:22 PM

The Flyers may be able to get Montoya for far less than a 3rd rounder. The conditional pick the Rangers would have got if Montoya even made it to the NHL is a 4th rounder. They didn't have much confidence in his future, and the Coyotes knew that as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKingPin (Post 18102865)
Do you understand Cap hit? Do you understand low risk high reward?


Because thats what we have here. If the Flyers can acqire Montoya for a 3rd rounder, bring him over. IF he can step it up knowing that he has a shot to make the team, not behind Henrik or Brzy, maybe he preforms better than Marty can, saving a ton of money.

What current goalie NOW fits into the cap space?

Cap space is pro-rated in a trade. If the Flyers traded for Khabibulin, his cap hit wouldn't be $6.75M. It would be whatever he is owed in the last 39 days of the season.

TheKingPin 02-22-2009 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 (Post 18103281)
The Flyers may be able to get Montoya for far less than a 3rd rounder. The conditional pick the Rangers would have got if Montoya even made it to the NHL is a 4th rounder. They didn't have much confidence in his future, and the Coyotes knew that as well.



Cap space is pro-rated in a trade. If the Flyers traded for Khabibulin, his cap hit wouldn't be $6.75M. It would be whatever he is owed in the last 39 days of the season.

Right, and thats good for this year if we chose to make a move. However, for the future if we can get a goalie that was a very high pick, has skills somewhere, for very cheap and he becomes the starter playing for little, that could be huge.

Trottier 02-22-2009 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKingPin (Post 18102865)
Do you understand Cap hit? Do you understand low risk high reward?

Because thats what we have here. If the Flyers can acqire Montoya for a 3rd rounder, bring him over. IF he can step it up knowing that he has a shot to make the team, not behind Henrik or Brzy, maybe he preforms better than Marty can, saving a ton of money.

What current goalie NOW fits into the cap space?

Do you understand the concept of winning? Now, when you have the horses?

A GM has to manage cap space AND WIN. You, on the other hand, can lecture me about cap space and pin your team's success on a minor league netminder "maybe" outperforming your current starters.

Go to Gagne, Richards, etc with that logic.

"We're making our stretch run...by bringing in Al Montoya! Low risk/high reward!"

See how they react. :laugh:

You get what you pay for, including in the NHL and especially in the playoffs. And if you pay for ****, you get ****.

Come April: Brodeur...Lundqvist...MAF...Thomas...a healthy Miller... and...Al Montoya? :biglaugh:

One thought the Flyers are looking to upgrade over their current goaltending combo. But hey, who am I to suggest you not start rolling the dice and taking chances in net this time of the year? Go right ahead and experiment. After all, this is fantasy league, not the NHL.

You post an opinion, expect responses. My intial post asked a polite, rhetorical question - is this a move a contender makes? Your ultra-defensivness compelled you to question my understanding of cap management. Hence my reply above.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.