HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Coaches: End of Season Tournaments Coming Up (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=611398)

Rimers stache 02-23-2009 12:49 AM

Coaches: End of Season Tournaments Coming Up

Hey all, I know the end of season tourneys are coming up and it's an either exciting/nerve racking time. For me it is nerve racking because I am a first year (18 yr old) bantam coach. I seem to get little respect from officials when I contest calls or (try to) speak with them diplomatically. Also, now that everyone in the league has played us twice they have pretty much figured out our offense is one and sometimes two players. Trust me when I say this is not the system I choose, in fact, I have told the individual in some games to just go for assists (when we are up of course) but no one else can seem to put the puck in the net. Whether it be lack of skill or lack of confidence this team is better then the way they played. If it is skill do you all think in these last few practices we should work more on positioning (defensively poor and offensively poor) or should we work more on providing relief for the stud? We have gone over positioning so many times and as bantams you would think they would understand by now but it hasn't clicked. ANY POINTERS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! thank you all and good luck

Gunnar Stahl 30 02-23-2009 01:16 AM

i coach kids 6-8th grade and obviously there is a big talent gap for alot of players. what i emphasize(since although, yes they have improved fundamentally and positionally they are young and i dont expect them to be perfect, even teh more talented ones) is hitting and work ethic. i cant stand seeing them floating out there and not back checking.

make the best of what you ahve by getting the best out of them, even teh more talented ones, make sure they are not half assing it.

TonyTinglebone 02-23-2009 10:35 AM

This is my first year coaching as well. Coaching bantam as well. I have been teaching my team to play in their own end first and the offense will come. Defense is much easier to teach than offense in my opinion. Chipping pucks out of your own end instead of always looking for the perfect breakout pass makes a world of difference. The key offensive attack I have been teaching is entering the zone wide and using the attack triangle. Also at this age I find you can exploit teams in their own end by using your pointmen. If you can get the boys to set up a cycle 9 times out of 10 your point will open up. Best of luck for the rest of the year.

Rimers stache 02-23-2009 02:16 PM

thanks for the tips guys, i'm holding a little "study session" a half hour before practice, going over positioning and showing some video clips of what they're doing and what the SHOULD be doing. Gorman I totally agree about the floating thing and also the fact D is a little easier to teach. Good luck guys

Headcoach 02-23-2009 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clima08 (Post 18112556)
Hey all, I know the end of season tourneys are coming up and it's an either exciting/nerve racking time. For me it is nerve racking because I am a first year (18 yr old) bantam coach. I seem to get little respect from officials when I contest calls or (try to) speak with them diplomatically. Also, now that everyone in the league has played us twice they have pretty much figured out our offense is one and sometimes two players. Trust me when I say this is not the system I choose, in fact, I have told the individual in some games to just go for assists (when we are up of course) but no one else can seem to put the puck in the net. Whether it be lack of skill or lack of confidence this team is better then the way they played. If it is skill do you all think in these last few practices we should work more on positioning (defensively poor and offensively poor) or should we work more on providing relief for the stud? We have gone over positioning so many times and as bantams you would think they would understand by now but it hasn't clicked. ANY POINTERS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! thank you all and good luck

Well, maybe I can help. I have been coaching for 43 years and I have a level 5 coaching certification. Yeah, big deal!

But, if you want help, I would be more then happy to assist you. Bantams is a funny group to coach. They are just at the age where hair is growing in certain places and now they consider themselves....men. And if you think banatms are tough, just wait until you coach midgets. They would be more than happy to tell you to go %$(& yourself. Been there!

When you coach College, it's like coaching Peewee's. These are my two favorite age groups to coach...Peewee's and College.

At Peewee's they have the skills to learn tactics. And at College, they are there to learn. So when they you tell them something, they don't cop an attitude about how you don't coach like their last coach.

For some reason, Banatms and Midgets don't understand that each coach is different and that they all have different styles of coaching. That's why some team lose and some teams win.

However, coaching is not just about teaching systems. It's about teaching the whole package. It's about teaching kids life lessons that they can take out side of the rink in the real world.

You might never win a game. But you will influence a child who will go out and make something of himself. Now that's what it is really all about. Well, it is for me. You see, I don't have a kid that plays hockey....she sings opera. But once I started coaching, I couldn't stop.

If you want help, send me a PM and I will set you up with some drills to help you out.

Head coach