HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Edmonton/St Louis (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=612084)

Hemskyfanboy83 02-24-2009 06:53 PM

Edmonton/St Louis

To St Louis
Andrew Cogliano

To Edmonton
David Backes

Is this close at all? I am not sure what the Blues need, but the Oilers could really use a big physical forward in their top 6.

Based on their numbers and age so far, Cogliano might have more offense but I would sacrafice it for a guy like Backes.

Market Street Heroes 02-24-2009 07:01 PM

Not terrible, but the Blues would definitely say no. Backes is a big part of the future of this team and is under a team friendly contract.

Phaser 02-24-2009 07:03 PM

I wouldn't do this either if I were the Oilers. We need to start trying to get proven talent, and Cogs would more-likely be in a package deal to get a proven LW scorer

CASUAL KEV 02-24-2009 07:04 PM

Backes has higher value so add a pick

Joey Moss 02-24-2009 07:04 PM

I would hate to see Cogliano go, but this would be for the best. We need to start getting tougher and Backes brings scoring presence too.

Pretty good deal for both teams!

Joey Moss 02-24-2009 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanuKer (Post 18143289)

If anyone adds a pick it's St.Louis IMO...

coolhandluke2410 02-24-2009 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OilGagner89 (Post 18143316)

pass on the original deal... add a pick? lol :help:

Hemskyfanboy83 02-24-2009 07:07 PM

Quote:

What do you think would be fair. A 1st seems a little steep. Maybe a 2nd?

CASUAL KEV 02-24-2009 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 (Post 18143377)
What do you think would be fair. A 1st seems a little steep. Maybe a 2nd?

2nd. No way would the Oilers have to add a first

To Edm: Backes
To Stl: Cogliano + 2nd

CASUAL KEV 02-24-2009 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OilGagner89 (Post 18143316)

Thats because you are biased

Joey Moss 02-24-2009 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanuKer (Post 18143500)
Thats because you are biased

Partly, but I do think Cogliano has more potential and Backes adds a better physical presence. Both are solid defennsively. IMHO the OP is very accurate value.

mcphllp 02-24-2009 07:23 PM

Cant be traded because of the offer sheet. Pretty good deal though. Slight edge to Backes because of his toughness, IMO.

Irish Blues 02-24-2009 07:25 PM

Backes can't be traded until July 1 ... so this proposal would have to take place this summer.

SyracuseBulldogs* 02-24-2009 07:28 PM

Why would the Blues even think of doing this? One is small and in a sophomore slump, the other is big, physical and becoming a proven scorer. The last thing the Blues need to do is trade a big, physical player for a little guy.

Joey Moss 02-24-2009 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SyracuseBulldogs (Post 18144063)
Why would the Blues even think of doing this? One is small and in a sophomore slump, the other is big, physical and becoming a proven scorer. The last thing the Blues need to do is trade a big, physical player for a little guy.

Cogs isnt in a sophomore slump. And how does that have to do with his value? He has already proven he is a 50 point scorer :shakehead

Cogs isnt too small either. 6'0 190 pounds..

Homesick 02-24-2009 07:47 PM

I'll take Cogliano who is 3 years younger and put up the same point total as Backes is on track to put up this year....in his rookie season.
Edmonton adding a second is ludacris even though I think Backes is much more physical and better defensively. Too much potential in Cogliano

trublu16 02-24-2009 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 (Post 18143076)
To St Louis
Andrew Cogliano

To Edmonton
David Backes

Is this close at all? I am not sure what the Blues need, but the Oilers could really use a big physical forward in their top 6.

Based on their numbers and age so far, Cogliano might have more offense but I would sacrafice it for a guy like Backes.

Wow......If these two players the same value the make the deal immediately!!!!!!

Wait a second, that is right, they do not have the same value. Backes has played his best hockey this year at the center position, but still can play wing. And everyone knows when he is on the ice, cuz you do not want to get hit by him. And after his slump last year, he is starting to get on the score sheet more regularly than he ever has. And maybe his ceiling is in the 50-60 range, who knows.

58 GP 18G 15A 33 PTS -6 137 PIM (08-09 stats)

But Cogs, is a smaller foward. He is listed below 6' on 2 different sites, so i would wonder how some would thing he is 6'. But he has never hit 50 PTS in a season, he hit 45 PTS his 1st season. Granted, it appears that he is in some kind of a slump. But he does not help the Blues more than Backes would.

But overall, we do not need anymore undersized players on the Blues roster. We play in the Western conference, and size is a major benefit.

Brian28 02-24-2009 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trublu16 (Post 18144653)
Wow......If these two players the same value the make the deal immediately!!!!!!

Wait a second, that is right, they do not have the same value. Backes has played his best hockey this year at the center position, but still can play wing. And everyone knows when he is on the ice, cuz you do not want to get hit by him. And after his slump last year, he is starting to get on the score sheet more regularly than he ever has. And maybe his ceiling is in the 50-60 range, who knows.

58 GP 18G 15A 33 PTS -6 137 PIM (08-09 stats)

But Cogs, is a smaller foward. He is listed below 6' on 2 different sites, so i would wonder how some would thing he is 6'. But he has never hit 50 PTS in a season, he hit 45 PTS his 1st season. Granted, it appears that he is in some kind of a slump. But he does not help the Blues more than Backes would.

But overall, we do not need anymore undersized players on the Blues roster. We play in the Western conference, and size is a major benefit.

I was going to bypass this trade proposal but you've become a little too selective with your stats. I'd personally rather have backes, but you're trying to make Cogliano sound like the second coming of Daigle or something. Cogliano might not be a huge guy, but size doesn't factor into his game. Would you bypass on St Louis just because he's small?

Cogliano isn't in a slump. The players around him are in slumps and that's what's hurting his points this year.

07/08 GM 82 G 18 A 27 Pts 45 Sh% 18.4
08/09 GM 59 G 13 A 16 Pts 29 Sh% 14.4

If anything he's proving he's already a pretty consistent guy and has not reached anywhere near his peak yet as he's only in his second year in the NHL.

Backes best Pts year is this year at 33. Cogliano already has more points than Backes career high and Cogs was a rookie. Backes brings other intangibles to the team but so does Cogliano.

Edmonton also plays in the West where size is of a benefit to teams...and yet Cogliano continues to put up points...odd. :sarcasm:

SyracuseBulldogs* 02-24-2009 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OilGagner89 (Post 18144120)
Cogs isnt in a sophomore slump. And how does that have to do with his value? He has already proven he is a 50 point scorer :shakehead

Cogs isnt too small either. 6'0 190 pounds..

5'10" 184 according to five sources including the Oilers. On pace for fewer points and has not proven he is a 50 point scorer because he has never scored 50 points in the NHL. Backes is 6'2" 200, more mature, on pace for more points then Cogliano and is in the top 10 in hits after finishing near the top last year. The only head shaking should be for your gross exaggerations.

Bank Shot 02-24-2009 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SyracuseBulldogs (Post 18144063)

They'd do it because Cogliano has better upside, and is basically matching Backes in points even though Cogliano's linemates have been poor and Backes benefits from playing with the best offensive players on his team.

Cogliano can also knock guys over with his explosive stride, and we'll probably see it alot more as he matures physically.

DousedInOil 02-24-2009 08:46 PM

Im not trying to be biased but I would keep Cogliano over Backes. Both are great players but Cogs is 3 years younger and in his rookie year has put up more points (playing on the 3rd line) then Backes is going to get playing most of the year with the most offensive players on his team. I would say it is still fairly even but no way does Backes have more trade value.

BlueBeard 02-24-2009 08:49 PM

Blues wouldn't touch this trade. Backes is our most versatile forward, he can slot in at any forward position, plays the 2nd PP and PK. We lose too much versatility for a marginal upgrade in offensive upside.

jumptheshark 02-24-2009 08:52 PM

Quote:

oiler fan's disagree and say that cogs is onlu getting better and better

Jimmi Jenkins 02-24-2009 08:58 PM

Seriously, Edmonton doesn't even consider this.

grabo84 02-24-2009 08:59 PM

I like Cogliano better, myself.