HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Canadiens Top 20 prospects, Spring 2009 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=612122)

HF Article 02-24-2009 08:00 PM

Canadiens Top 20 prospects, Spring 2009

Ryan McDonagh is the Montreal Canadiens top prospect.

More...

Bohemian93 02-24-2009 08:07 PM

id have pk subban at number one, he was exeptional at the world juniors and is a good puckmover who can be a lethal offensive threat

kernkraft 02-24-2009 08:17 PM

Cool, but there's a small mistake in the Ben Maxwell paragraph:

"Maxwell has accounted for 15 goals and added 25 assists"

Mustafa* 02-24-2009 08:19 PM

I ma surprised that Belle and Troter make it ahead of Desharnais.

RoyBoyCoy 02-24-2009 08:20 PM

I don't get the number's to the left of their names before each paragraph :help:

Greatguru 02-24-2009 08:20 PM

I'm just wondering why David Desharnais isn't there? Wasn't he signed by the big club this year? And i thought Shawn Belle was a career Ahler. Am I the only one? Maybe someone who follows the Bulldogs can tell me what he thinks about him.

Watsatheo 02-24-2009 08:20 PM

Greg Pateryn over Joe Stejskal Niklas Torp and Philippe Paquet? Is he really that good?

Maxpac 02-24-2009 08:21 PM

Wow! terrible list, how the heck isin't Subban our 1st prospect, O'byrne over Subban, comon..........

NewHabsEra* 02-24-2009 08:22 PM

discutable list.. I miss Montreal..

le_sean 02-24-2009 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy (Post 18148291)
I don't get the number's to the left of their names before each paragraph :help:

That was their previous rating. So McDonagh was the Habs #2 prospect before.

x-bob 02-24-2009 08:28 PM

Very nice list. I'm a bit suprised to see Pateryn on it but that might be because I know absolutly nothing about him.

Erika 02-24-2009 08:28 PM

Kyle Chipchura at number 6 and Gregory Stewart at number 20 is making me puke !! Stewart has as much if not better chance to make the NHL than Kyle "Slowpoke" Chipchura...

If Kyle Chipchura is really the 6th best prospect in this organization, then we are in serious trouble !!

:teach:

David A. Rainer 02-24-2009 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy (Post 18148291)

Current ranking (previous ranking)

wedge 02-24-2009 08:41 PM

oh my... not the best list I've seen around here...

Belle at 15??? Trunev not in the top 20? weird... And Stewart, who's in the NHL right now, at #20... ouch.

hogtownhabsfan* 02-24-2009 08:48 PM

Maxwell and Chipchura too high, D'Agostini and Subban too low. Subban is no worse than our 3rd best prospect, and how the heck can Dags be considered below Maxwell and Chips? The guy has been very good in the NHL.

JHabs 02-24-2009 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonno93 (Post 18147608)
id have pk subban at number one, he was exeptional at the world juniors and is a good puckmover who can be a lethal offensive threat

I'm surprised Subban wasn't a 8.0C or B. Thats what I see him being, 8.5 if he is as amazing as world juniors.

Fozz 02-24-2009 09:13 PM

I don't put much emphasis on the ranking themselves and many guys can be moved up or down, according to everyone's taste. What's important is that the list is very well written and a very good read.

Good job by Jason.

Monctonscout 02-24-2009 09:13 PM

Quote:

I agree, Subban is still a bit raw, but he has great upside.

Maxpac 02-24-2009 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn (Post 18148726)
Kyle Chipchura at number 6 and Gregory Stewart at number 20 is making me puke !! Stewart has as much if not better chance to make the NHL than Kyle "Slowpoke" Chipchura...

If Kyle Chipchura is really the 6th best prospect in this organization, then we are in serious trouble !!

I'm starting to agree with you, Chipper is a non-factor every game

Monctonscout 02-24-2009 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn (Post 18148726)

I'm glad your lack of hockey knowledge is the exception and not the rule among Hab fans.

Chipchura is a great 2 way player in the AHL, he just needs to translate it to the NHL, which he's done at times but not consistently enough. Same thing for O'byrne.

Watsatheo 02-24-2009 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fozz (Post 18150430)
I don't put much emphasis on the ranking themselves and many guys can be moved up or down, according to everyone's taste. What's important is that the list is very well written and a very good read.

Good job by Jason.

I agree. It was very good read. Especially about the newly drafted players.

Kman777 02-24-2009 09:25 PM

Chipchura played really very well against Vancouver. Not worried about him at all and I think 6.0A future third line center is perfectly accurate.

Strange that Desharnais and Torp aren't on the list.

montreal 02-25-2009 07:57 AM

Quote:

I think Subban has the highest upside but I have Pacioretty as the #1 prospect because of what he brings to the team, we have no one like him in our system and have been in dire need of a skilled PF for many a year. Subban while highly skilled, we have Weber and to a lesser extent Carle, so that's 3 off def RD's, add to that, Subban while showing a lot of improvement since his draft day, we'll have to see how his game translates to the pros, which I think he will do fine, but Pac has impressed me a lot at the pro level.

I can see why some like McDonagh more since he was drafted before Pac/Subban but to me he looks to be more of a 2nd pairing type as he does everything well but nothing great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greatguru (Post 18148292)
I'm just wondering why David Desharnais isn't there? Wasn't he signed by the big club this year? And i thought Shawn Belle was a career Ahler. Am I the only one? Maybe someone who follows the Bulldogs can tell me what he thinks about him.

Desharnais to me should be somewhere near the bottom of the list, in my last ranking I had him at 21 or 22, but when I do my season ending ranking I suspect he will move up a few spots, I have been impressed with him as not only is he very skilled but he works hard and will get his nose dirty. And yes he is signed by the Habs, after signing an AHL contract when he was in Cincy last year.

Belle I have also been impressed with, he's been solid all year and I love how he sticks up for his teammates. His skill level doesn't really impress me, but he's a good depth guy to have around. I wouldn't put him in the top 20 though, I think I had him ranked around 25th but in my articles on my site I only rank 20 plus 3 HM's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustafa (Post 18148233)
I ma surprised that Belle and Troter make it ahead of Desharnais.

Trotter I had right around where I had Desharnais, just outside the top 20, Trotter is skilled as well but unlike Desharnais he does not consistently work hard and has been in the coaches dog house at times this year. He is red hot right now though and is clearly playing much better then he did at the start. I would likely have Desharnais higher then Trotter in my next rankings but I can see why someone would have Trotter higher since he's got a better frame. I'll take the smaller guy that works hard every game and is solid in his own end, but both have impressive vision and hands. Trotter must get faster and a lot stronger plus he needs to round out his game, improve his defensive play, be more consistent and try to devleop more of a physical game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watsatheo (Post 18148301)
Greg Pateryn over Joe Stejskal Niklas Torp and Philippe Paquet? Is he really that good?

That's a tough one. Pateryn has impressed me for sure, he's got a nice frame, looks to have good offensive skills and he can throw some nice hits while being solid in his own end.

But I love Stejskal and think he's our most underrated prospect, he's got a cannon of a shot, plays a nasty physical game, although I have only seen parts of one game this year, I saw a lot of him last year and felt he was by far our most physical prospect. I would have Stejskal higher by several spots as I love the way he plays.

Torp I really liked what I saw at the wjc's, it was my first time seeing him in live game action, so when I rank him it's more on hype as he was one of the few Hab prospects I never get to see play (outside the wjc's)

Paquet I like more then most, injuries have been a problem the past 2 years but I don't think it will hinder him from moving to the next level. He is very physical but also has some offensive abilities. The problem is that he plays at our deepest position, RD, although this year for some reason unknown to me, he was moved from the RD on the 1st pairing (where he was for 2 years) to LD on the 2nd pairing. I will get a better feel for him noce he turns pro as I assume he will be with Cincy or maybe Hamilton next year, although I do wonder if he will be a LD or a RD, as I haven't followed Clarkson this year like I have in the past (used to get all home games on webcast for free until B2 networks got the rights) so I don't know who was behind the move from RD to LD, if the Habs asked Clarkson or if the team felt he was better off there.

kostitsyn1489 02-25-2009 08:14 AM

Not a bad ranking at all. Not susprised by it at least. Been the same for years now that higher ranked players usually end up higher for a while except if they really disapoint.

I always prefered d-man over forward so McDonagh first is fine for me, but either way you cant really go wrong.

Solid list.

Iwishihadacup 02-25-2009 08:25 AM

Good ranking... not much to add