HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Speculation: Burke interested in Sedins, Alex Burrows (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=613155)

WJG 02-27-2009 12:29 AM

Burke interested in Sedins, Alex Burrows

There already is some whispering going on behind the scenes involving Leafs GM Brian Burke taking a strong run this summer at the Sedin Twins as well as Canucks forward Alex Burrows.

Word is Burke has a strong dislike for Canucks GM Mike Gillis for how the Dave Nonis era ended in Vancouver and this could be an effort to drive up the price on all three players who the Canucks are interested in retaining.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Andy-...Scoops/5/19641

Leafidelity 02-27-2009 12:31 AM

lol

Dont diss Brian Burke's posse or you'll pay for it. Literally.

SonicY 02-27-2009 12:32 AM

Big f'ing surprise Princess Brian would feel slighted on behalf of Mini-Me. After Nonis' Globe and Mail article ('Yeah i'm proud. Those are mostly MY players and MY staff.'), you can tell that those grapes are freaking sour.

Bobby Lou 02-27-2009 12:32 AM

Wow, that's a pretty brazen statement for Strickland to make.

Wildcarder 02-27-2009 12:33 AM

Burke is an idiot.

Somehow it's Gillis' fault and not the Aquilini that Nonis got fired.

If he wants to overpay for the Sedins, good for him. Let him be vindictive and screw over the Leafs faster than he otherwise would have anyway.

Dr Awesome 02-27-2009 12:33 AM

I can't really see Burke doing that after he bashed Lowe and the oilers over Penner, different situations I know. But if he really wanted them he can lift up his wisers and toast one. I am sure the nucks will throw some money around either way.

Leafidelity 02-27-2009 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildcarder (Post 18201932)
Burke is an idiot.

Somehow it's Gillis' fault and not the Aquilini that Nonis got fired.

If he wants to overpay for the Sedins, good for him. Let him be vindictive and screw over the Leafs faster than he otherwise would have anyway.

I'm with you. Signing the Sedins would be a terrible move.

Bourdon 02-27-2009 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guys (Post 18201950)
I'm with you. Signing the Sedins would be a terrible move.

Who needs skilled players anyways? Brad May all the way.

Kessick 02-27-2009 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bourdon (Post 18201976)
Who needs skilled players anyways? Brad May all the way.

He plays on our 4th line and is probably not going to be re-signed for next year. Even if he is, he plays on the 4th line.

And you shouldn't really be boasting so much since your sad sack team barely beat ours a week ago.

The Sedins are very good players, they just don't fit with our rebuilding plans.

And calling Burke an idiot for something that he hasn't even done is pretty idiotic.

Patrick96 02-27-2009 12:41 AM

what a g

VanEric 02-27-2009 12:42 AM

If Burke wants to overspend on free agents to carry out a personal vendetta, go ahead.

Maybe he'll leave Toronto in as good of shape as he left Vancouver and Anaheim. Totally devoid of prospects and depth.

pwallll 02-27-2009 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccliquer (Post 18202038)

And calling Burke an idiot for something that he hasn't even done is pretty idiotic.

Haha so true. Some people need to relax.

Tripwyre 02-27-2009 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanEric (Post 18202078)
Maybe he'll leave Toronto in as good of shape as he left Vancouver and Anaheim. Totally devoid of prospects and depth.

So, no worse than he found it, then?

Drop the Sopel 02-27-2009 12:51 AM

Any comments by Burke regarding the Sedins or Alex Burrows would be considered tampering. There's nothing to this story.

The Sedins and Burrows absolutely love Vancouver. All 3 will be back next year.

ChemicalHansen 02-27-2009 12:52 AM

I'm surprised this came from Strickland.

What's more surprising is that this completely goes against what Burke and Blues President have said in this article from Canada.com - "Blues, Maple Leafs willing to talk trade with Canucks" by Elliot Pap:
Quote:

[Davidson:] "There are no hard feelings, no grudges, no anything," Davidson said in a conference call arranged by the league. "We don't have any hard feelings with Vancouver. I know Larry Pleau (Blues GM) discusses things with Vancouver all the time.

"Listen, I see Vancouver and I see where they're going. That's a pretty good hockey club. We respect Vancouver. We respect 29 other teams. This is a tough business and, in my opinion, if you have that attitude towards an organization, shame on you."

[Burke:] "As far as not making a deal with Vancouver because they fired me, let's get some semantics out of the way. I wasn't fired... but the people that gassed me are all gone anyway, so I could care less. If there's a deal that makes sense between Vancouver, Mike and I will talk about it. If it makes sense, we'll do it.
Obviously, a GM's words must be taken with a healthy dose of rock salt, but to believe in someone with "sources" saying that two NHL GMs are holding grudges against another NHL GM is foolhardy at best.

Bourdon 02-27-2009 12:52 AM

Quote:

He plays on our 4th line and is probably not going to be re-signed for next year. Even if he is, he plays on the 4th line.

And you shouldn't really be boasting so much since your sad sack team barely beat ours a week ago.

The Sedins are very good players, they just don't fit with our rebuilding plans.

I wouldn't be in any position to call any team a sad sack team if I were a fan of the Leafs....and calling someone an idiot for calling someone else an idiot is pretty idiotic when said person did not call the person an idiot. If you want to lash out at the guy, quote him.

Plus, the fanaticism of the ideal of big, tough and rugged by Burke has been proven that it doesn't always work, yet he continues to pursue it. That was all I was trying to say with the May shiv.

danishh 02-27-2009 12:58 AM

burke sticking up for his cronies + burke's dislike of offersheeting GM's.

I could believe this. Its stupid, but its believable.

DreamCatcher* 02-27-2009 01:00 AM

*posted again for emphasis*

Quote:

What's more surprising is that this completely goes against what Burke and Blues President have said in this article from Canada.com - "Blues, Maple Leafs willing to talk trade with Canucks" by Elliot Pap:
Quote:
[Davidson:] "There are no hard feelings, no grudges, no anything," Davidson said in a conference call arranged by the league. "We don't have any hard feelings with Vancouver. I know Larry Pleau (Blues GM) discusses things with Vancouver all the time.

"Listen, I see Vancouver and I see where they're going. That's a pretty good hockey club. We respect Vancouver. We respect 29 other teams. This is a tough business and, in my opinion, if you have that attitude towards an organization, shame on you."

[Burke:] "As far as not making a deal with Vancouver because they fired me, let's get some semantics out of the way. I wasn't fired... but the people that gassed me are all gone anyway, so I could care less. If there's a deal that makes sense between Vancouver, Mike and I will talk about it. If it makes sense, we'll do it.

leaflover 02-27-2009 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanEric (Post 18202078)
If Burke wants to overspend on free agents to carry out a personal vendetta, go ahead.

With freshly engraved Leaf names adorning Lord Stanleys Cup?
We're hoping.

Kessick 02-27-2009 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bourdon (Post 18202251)
I wouldn't be in any position to call any team a sad sack team if I were a fan of the Leafs....and calling someone an idiot for calling someone else an idiot is pretty idiotic when said person did not call the person an idiot. If you want to lash out at the guy, quote him.

Plus, the fanaticism of the ideal of big, tough and rugged by Burke has been proven that it doesn't always work, yet he continues to pursue it. That was all I was trying to say with the May shiv.

It was pretty obvious that I was directing that part of my post to another post, hence the SPACING in between the sentences. It's 1 am here and I'm dead tired, so please forgive me for any confusion in regards to my previous post. I'm not going to adhere to proper posting etiquette for you, especially when your post was full of crap to begin with and was a lame attempt to antagonize Leaf fans.

I already know my team is crap, I don't really need you to inform me or tell me like it's some kind of new information here. The difference is I haven't really deluded myself into thinking it's a good team. Wish I could say the same for you.

1234rer 02-27-2009 01:10 AM

Quote:

He can and will leave your franchise without draft picks and prospects. He has done it with Vancouver and the Ducks.

Lets not forget the grudges/crybaby antics he desperately makes public. Look at his track record, it speaks for itself. The cup was handed to him. How can anyone not call Burke an Idiot?? :laugh:

OneSharpMarble 02-27-2009 01:21 AM

Sedins are gonna screw one lucky team over good, 13million for those two ballerinas is a laugh riot.

Todds Chiropractory 02-27-2009 01:22 AM

Nobody's getting Burrows. I would rather see Luongo go before i saw Burrows go.

SiCKNESS 02-27-2009 01:24 AM

Burke's a *****, just his attitude pisses me off.

jabberhockey 02-27-2009 01:26 AM

I think most people assumed there was some animosity between Burke and Nonis and the Canucks organization, but to hear it from Strickland like this is somewhat surprising. He tends to be a very reliable reporter so I have to think there is something to this. It makes me wonder if Strickland’s source is Scott Mellanby, who works for the Canucks and still has strong ties to the St. Louis hockey community from his playing days there (Mellanby allegedly played a large role in both the offer sheet to Backes and the signing of Johnson during the off-season). I really hope Burke and Nonis don’t turn signing the Sedins into a personal vendetta against the Canucks organization because in the end it will be the fans of both teams who pay the price.