HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What do you think about Kovalev tonight (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=61317)

tnq 03-12-2004 12:06 AM

What do you think about Kovalev tonight

it seems he is too fast for Rib :rolly:

not quite yoda 03-12-2004 12:21 AM

Too early to judge him. But he seems to want to do too much. And for the second time in only 2 games, he has the longest average shift of all Habs forwards. That's undiscipline on his part... always wanting to stay the full 2 minutes on the PP...

tinyzombies 03-12-2004 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by espion
Too early to judge him. But he seems to want to do too much. And for the second time in only 2 games, he has the longest average shift of all Habs forwards. That's undiscipline on his part... always wanting to stay the full 2 minutes on the PP...

Yeah, being undisciplined on the PP is Brisebois' job!

MontrealSF 03-12-2004 12:38 AM

I don't think he wants to stay all 2 minutes... I think Julien WANTS him to stay for the 2 minutes. I think he played a great game. He will adjust in time for the playoffs. He didn't seem scared of trying when he went between both 2 defenseman.

Kirk Muller 03-12-2004 01:25 AM

Quote:

Umm the first game's ice time is inflated because he only played 1 period and mainly on the PP. There's been times this year when Ribeiro has had the longest average shifts for the whole team. You say its too early to judge him, but then you judge him on his 4 periods in Montreal saying this is an undiscipline part of his game.

Dripper 03-12-2004 01:25 AM

Just my opinion, but during the game, me and my roommate realized that everyone tried so much to give him the puck that Florida had an easy job in defense to shut down the plays.

And I agree that he may have tried to do too much on his own.. but it's comprehensible for a first game in front of new fans. Still.. he rocks! :yo:

not quite yoda 03-12-2004 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nash13
Umm the first game's ice time is inflated because he only played 1 period and mainly on the PP. There's been times this year when Ribeiro has had the longest average shifts for the whole team. You say its too early to judge him, but then you judge him on his 4 periods in Montreal saying this is an undiscipline part of his game.

I don't care how many PPs he was on. He had over 7 minutes of ice time in 5 shifts. That isn't acceptable for a forward.

What I MEANT was that it is too early to judge him as a part of the team, how he fits in, what he's like as a Canadien. I can still evaluate 4 periods can't I? Ribeiro was benched earlier on wjile being the leading point getter. Why? his shifts were too long. So you're saying that Special K should be treated differently? Because he 's a 6 million dollar newbie?

Nielson81 03-12-2004 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnq
it seems he is too fast for Rib :rolly:

Exactly what I said 2 days ago!!

Unbiased Canadian

Marksman 03-12-2004 03:31 AM

Kovalev is used to top line ice times, while hopefully not a high maintenance guy like Cher and Audette, he needs to play a lot to get into groove. Thats why he played always better with Penguins than Rangers. This is not really a prediction, but he will end up with Koivu, with Zednik on the left. Those two are the only ones that can handle 20 minute offensive ice time. Ribeiro line will be playing less - until they start producing.

Marksman 03-12-2004 03:37 AM

Quote:

I don't care how many PPs he was on. He had over 7 minutes of ice time in 5 shifts. That isn't acceptable for a forward.

What I MEANT was that it is too early to judge him as a part of the team, how he fits in, what he's like as a Canadien. I can still evaluate 4 periods can't I? Ribeiro was benched earlier on wjile being the leading point getter. Why? his shifts were too long. So you're saying that Special K should be treated differently? Because he 's a 6 million dollar newbie?

Julien&co wanted him to get those first points in his first home game. They let it slide for the moment - it remains to be seen what happens after AK gets the cookie jar lid opened.

#44_delivers 03-12-2004 07:02 AM

Quote:

comparing the ribs benching to kovalevs over shifteing is just sad, and YEAH kovalev should be treated different then ribs right now, especialy for the first week or so,
he had prolonged shifts becuase CJ wants to see how he can contribute in different aspects of the game, to see his qualities and traits during gameplay(you cant find out this during practice) so what if CJ overshifted him? i for one am happy he overshifted kovalev and we all should of seen this comming too its expected to do this to a new member of this team who still hasnt found a niche, some people seem to think that its writin in stone that he'll be with ribs and ryder to those people i say GET REAL!!!! and lay off the suace he'll be tried in quite a few line combonations so if you didnt like how many minutes he played tonight then your not going to like the next 2 weeks.
i still cant believe some people :shakehead

mcphee 03-12-2004 08:29 AM

I think when you have a new guy, esp. a talented new guy, you tend to play too much of a chess match rather than a drive the net game. You'll probably see them try more finesse passing plays rather than an up tempo fore checking game until they get used to each other. I had the impression Ryder was searching for his spot on the ice rather than leading the forecheck. That'll be temporary though, they see the same game we do.

Darz 03-12-2004 08:40 AM

Kovalev had a decent game. It's going to take more than one gme to figure out how he will be best suited, but imo, he is better suited to play with Koivu than with Ribiero. I would rather see Kovalev with Koivu/Perreault and Zednik back with Ribiero/Ryder on Saturday, but I doubt Julien will want to split up Koivu/Zednik. Actually with Bulis supposablely back on Saturday, imo, the best two lines would be:

Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev
Bulis - Ribiero - Ryder

then again, I don't pretend to know more than Julien ,so......

Mooch 03-12-2004 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz
Kovalev had a decent game. It's going to take more than one gme to figure out how he will be best suited, but imo, he is better suited to play with Koivu than with Ribiero. I would rather see Kovalev with Koivu/Perreault and Zednik back with Ribiero/Ryder on Saturday, but I doubt Julien will want to split up Koivu/Zednik. Actually with Bulis supposablely back on Saturday, imo, the best two lines would be:

Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev
Bulis - Ribiero - Ryder

then again, I don't pretend to know more than Julien ,so......

I like those line Darz. The first line is all about speed, if they start clicking (better hope they do against Toronto, if put together), then watch out :eek:

Cloudigger 03-12-2004 10:37 AM

Quote:

Well Kovalev is a forward that will be at his best playing like 22 -26 minutes a game... there is no use to have a quality scoring forward if you are going to play him 15-18 a game... and no he wont hurt you playing around 23 minutes .. he was used to it in PIttsburgh... so i say let him play ...

GilleZ 03-12-2004 10:51 AM

I'm very impressed of what i saw from Kovalev last night. He his a force with the puck, and what a shoot. He hit the post, got Luongo right on the helmet. I think its just a matter of time, Ryder must adjust to play on the other side and Ribs must adjust to the speed of Kovalev. He dont have to wait 10 mins with the puck until Dagenais enter the zone (hehe). With their first shift you saw that Ryder never tought that Kovalev was able to make plays like that.

Go Kovalev Go!
Go Habs Go!

#44_delivers 03-12-2004 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GilleZ
I'm very impressed of what i saw from Kovalev last night. He his a force with the puck, and what a shoot. He hit the post, got Luongo right on the helmet. I think its just a matter of time, Ryder must adjust to play on the other side and Ribs must adjust to the speed of Kovalev. He dont have to wait 10 mins with the puck until Dagenais enter the zone (hehe). With their first shift you saw that Ryder never tought that Kovalev was able to make plays like that.

Go Kovalev Go!
Go Habs Go!

my thoughts exactly,
though i would still want to try alex on the first with koivu and zednik, i think there speed(mostly zed and kovalev) will be though to handle neer the boards, while koivu can set them up from the slot.
with bulis returning though theres either 2 ways CJ will line up the top 2

bulis koivu zednik ////// or ///// zednik koivu kovalev
ryder ribs kovalev ////////// bulis ribs ryder

i think both of these angles will be tried by CJ.

417 03-12-2004 11:17 AM

The one thing I noticed last night was that Ryder struggled a bit playing on the left side, that's why Kovalev should be put back on Koivu's right side and Zednik is comfortable playing either side, when Bulis comes back he should anchor the left side on Ribeiro's wing and at the same time provide a defensive presence and a great fore check to go along with Ryder...... Koivu, Zednik and Kovalev all play more of a possesion game

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev
Bulis-Ribeiro-Ryder
Sundstrom-Dowd-Ward

Should all be our top 9

Bégin should anchor the 4th line with whatever combination of players is left

Guriken 03-12-2004 11:18 AM

I thought he didn't play so well, he seems to float and doesn't skate really fast. But it was his first game, i hope next game will be a better one to watch...

NWT Habs Fan 03-12-2004 11:47 AM

Despite all our hopes that he would instantly take us to the promised land, it is quite clear that Kovalev is human after all and it takes time for linemates to adjust to new additions. Ryder has to get used to a fellow winger who actually passes to him ;) and Ribs and Ryder have to forget that he is a star winger and not try to always get the puck to him. Once the three get back to playing their strengths and a bit more of the basics, all will be well as we will have two strong lines. Not surprisingly, the first advise that CJ said he gave Alex was to relax and stick to the basics out there, so he knew that there would be some adjustment.

The really good thing is that the #1 line kept on rolling througout all this. That Saks-Zed combo is really coming together at the right time and Yanic is still earning his keep...as a Habs fan I can't really complain.

romain_jaime 03-12-2004 12:11 PM

btw, AK only played 16 minutes and change.

Duster 03-12-2004 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWT Habs Fan
Despite all our hopes that he would instantly take us to the promised land, it is quite clear that Kovalev is human after all and it takes time for linemates to adjust to new additions. Ryder has to get used to a fellow winger who actually passes to him ;) and Ribs and Ryder have to forget that he is a star winger and not try to always get the puck to him. Once the three get back to playing their strengths and a bit more of the basics, all will be well as we will have two strong lines. Not surprisingly, the first advise that CJ said he gave Alex was to relax and stick to the basics out there, so he knew that there would be some adjustment.

The really good thing is that the #1 line kept on rolling througout all this. That Saks-Zed combo is really coming together at the right time and Yanic is still earning his keep...as a Habs fan I can't really complain.

I agree. It will take a while for Ribs to go back to his game. It's obvious he's nervous and a little unsure on what do when he enters the offensive zone. I think Ryder was completely surprised by some of the plays set up by Kovalev. He definitely will need to be much more alert for one-timers with both Ribs and Kovalev now feeding him passes.

RaTcine 03-12-2004 01:45 PM

Perreault is doing very well on the first line, he deserves to stay there!!
1 goal, 7 shots yesterday

jacklours 03-12-2004 01:55 PM

People are now using AK for Alexei Kovalev, i'm all confuse. We need to find new abbreviations for him, as we already have a AK. Or maybe we can find new abbreviations for Ak Jr, because 2 AK is too much, cause when people will mention AK i'll have no clue if it's AK they're talking about or AK.

jcpenny 03-12-2004 05:06 PM

What about:

Ryder-Koivu-Zed

Bulis-ribs-Kovlev

Ryder could switch with Kovy but those 6 players has to be our top six if we want to go somewhere this year and yes, Dagenais and Perrault OUT!