HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   High School (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=61365)

MN_Gopher 03-12-2004 07:00 AM

High School

Went to the AA satete playoff games yesterday. Nice to see the two session attendance at 34,000. Way to go high school hockey fans. Proving once again we have the best hockey fans in the world.

Bookman 03-12-2004 08:50 AM

I'm a tad disappointed in the quality of the play - it seems much less wide open than it used to be. Lots of hooking, clutching, grabbing, interference, and none of it called by the refs. I missed the 10-1 blowout of Albert Lea, but all the other games I saw were very close checking affairs. Don't get me wrong though, it's still a high quality affair. Maybe I'm turning into Lou Nanne, gawd what a critic. :teach:

ceber 03-12-2004 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bookman
I'm a tad disappointed in the quality of the play - it seems much less wide open than it used to be. Lots of hooking, clutching, grabbing, interference, and none of it called by the refs. I missed the 10-1 blowout of Albert Lea, but all the other games I saw were very close checking affairs. Don't get me wrong though, it's still a high quality affair. Maybe I'm turning into Lou Nanne, gawd what a critic. :teach:

Yes, still very fun, but I also noticed a few penalties that I thought could've easily been called. You don't want to go overboard with the penalties, but I also don't think you need to give them such free reign that you only see 1 or 2 calls the whole game. I'm sure the refs don't want to call a penalty in a really close game for an infraction that may not have much effect on the current play, but I think they need to draw that line a little closer to the rules.

One thing I did like seeing was the occasional hit-from-behind called as a cross-check so the kid didn't get tossed from the game. Don't get me wrong, if it was an obviously nasty hit, I think they should call it. Some of them really weren't that bad and didn't seem overtly intentional, although they were from behind, so it was nice to see the refs make that judgement. I'll change my opinion on that quickly if players start to take advantage of it, though.

DW 03-12-2004 03:32 PM

Any one watching the Orono-Hibbing game? Up and down they go. Not alot of goals but plenty of chances. Of course I havn't seen the whole game.

GaborikRules10!!! 03-12-2004 04:09 PM

Does anyone know if that Tom Gorowsky Kid from Centennial has any college commitments??? Hes quite a player.
And, How old is that Wheeler kid? I thought I heard that he was a Junior. Hes amazing.

ceber 03-12-2004 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaborikRules10!!!
Does anyone know if that Tom Gorowsky Kid from Centennial has any college commitments??? Hes quite a player.
And, How old is that Wheeler kid? I thought I heard that he was a Junior. Hes amazing.

Central scouting ranked Wheeler 46th in the mid-term rankings I think.. Yeah, 46th. Lists his b-date as 8/31/1986.

Gorowsky made a verbal to Wisconsin: http://www.madison.com/captimes/spor...ckey/68808.php

Bookman 03-12-2004 04:26 PM

I was impressed with Chris Johnson from Duluth East. Pretty complete looking d'man.

MN_Gopher 03-12-2004 04:42 PM

The other thing that got me this year is the players in general. I remember not to long ago watching Taffe, Tharp, Welch, Martin and Riddle in the tournament. Three of those players helped the gophs to two NCAA championships. It's nice to see the season go from 25 to 28 and they added 2 minutes to the proid. We are losing our state to devolpmental programs, USHL and shattucks.

firstroundbust 03-13-2004 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bookman
I was impressed with Chris Johnson from Duluth East. Pretty complete looking d'man.

and RJ Anderson from Centennial...84 pts for the junior Dman

Jack Hillen is the truth too

Mr. Tri 03-17-2004 08:24 AM

What's bothered me the most is the clutch and grab has finally filtered down to the high school level. The last two champions have not been the best teams, but the teams that play defense the most. I know that's a part of the game, but I always enjoyed seeing a wide open game and instead now if a defenseman thinks he's been beat he's grabbing the forward before he can do anything. The goaltending did impress me that stalock kid is awesomely aggressive and it's hard to argue with no goals allowed in three tournament games against the number 2,3 and 4 ranked teams.