HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Philly has another NBC Game against the network's golden child, and it's not Crosby (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=615025)

Al Bundy* 03-03-2009 07:12 AM

Philly has another NBC Game against the network's golden child, and it's not Crosby

http://www.nhl.com/ice/schedulebyday...03%2F15%2F2009

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...1#post18296909

I am rooting for your team to embarass the Rangers again, because NBC has a mentality of "big-markets with mediocre hockey" is better than showing better teams.

GKJ 03-03-2009 07:22 AM

I sense the Rangers won't be ad mediocre as they were the last time. It's interesting though, because all we heard after the last game was "aww I bet NBC really regrets picking this game over the Devils and Sharks - a sure Stanley Cup Preview!!! Dern Flyers and Rangers on TV all the time no one carez!!!"

Guess what, they went back to it. I guess they really did regret it.

However, you can't call the Rangers a 'golden child,' the Penguins have still been on more - with good reason.

Lab Monkey 03-03-2009 07:23 AM

Flyers vs Rangers are always entertaining, cant wait to watch this

DeadPhish5858 03-03-2009 07:42 AM

They put the games on NBC that will draw the biggest audience. Rangers and Flyers are two of the biggest American franchises.

IrishSniper87 03-03-2009 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 (Post 18297163)
They put the games on NBC that will draw the biggest audience. Rangers and Flyers are two of the biggest American franchises.

This

Pwood 03-03-2009 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 (Post 18297163)

I believe I saw recently that both are in the top 5 in the NHL.

IrishSniper87 03-03-2009 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pwood (Post 18297572)
I believe I saw recently that both are in the top 5 in the NHL.

According to Forbes, the Flyers are the most valuable NHL team that is not an Original 6 team (quite astounding actually).

In the entire NHL, Forbes ranks the Rangers 2nd and the Flyers 5th in value.

http://www.forbes.com/sports/lists/2...ions_Rank.html

If you don't include the Canadian teams (Toronto #1 and Canadiens #3) the Rangers, Red Wings and Flyers are the most valuable NHL franchises in the US.

The Flyers are also one of the most successful franchises in NHL history (as far as winning percentage goes). Since their first season, the Flyers have maintained the 2nd highest winning percentage, behind only the Montreal Canadiens.

Of course, the Cup is all that matters to me, and it's been awhile since a Flyer has hoisted it.

Jester 03-03-2009 08:43 AM

It's a late season game between two playoff teams (as of now). Add in the fact that they're big markets...why wouldn't they put it on?

Juicy Couturier* 03-03-2009 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bundy (Post 18296946)
http://www.nhl.com/ice/schedulebyday...03%2F15%2F2009

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...1#post18296909

I am rooting for your team to embarass the Rangers again, because NBC has a mentality of "big-markets with mediocre hockey" is better than showing better teams.

#4 PHILADELPHIA
vs.
#7 NY RANGERS
Division rival game. NY has a new coach and are looking to pick their game up after a mid season slump. Philly is "the nasty divil child of the NHL and you never know who we might cheap shot next". The two teams are currently separated by 4 points. Both teams are huge market teams so people outside of philly and NY will actually think about watching it.

#15 NY ISLANDERS
vs.
#4 CHICAGO
Worst team in the NHL against a team out of their conference that they rarely play. No thanks.

#1 BOSTON
vs.
#8 PITTSBURGH
Pitt is always on NBC, maybe, just maybe they want to give someone else some airtime? Maybe they want to advertise the league and not just 1 player, and one team. Boston vs Pitt is not a rival game, boston doesnt have soemone they can make a storyline out of against Crosby like they did with Ovechkin. Can you imagine the pregame talk about how Crosby vs. Savard is a battle to keep your eye on?

#2 DETROIT
vs.
#6 COLUMBUS
Sure, they are in the same division but there is hardly a rivalry betweek them. Its like us and the Islanders. Detroit has ran them over for the past...well ever. They may seem close in the standings but they are separated by 22 points in the standings.

#10 MINNESOTA
vs.
#12 ST LOUIS
Yeah, no. The last thing NBC wants is a 2-1 game against 2 teams that likely wont play a playoff game and have a totals of ZERO big name players.

#1 SAN JOSE
vs.
#8 ANAHEIM
Two Cali teams, thats going to get tons of viewers! People in Cali dont care for these teams, why would anyone outside of there?

#15 COLORADO
vs.
#5 VANCOUVER
Worst team in the west, thats not what you put on VS let alone NBC.

Now please tell me, which of these games deserves to actually be on NBC over the Flyers vs. Rangers?

CantSeeColors 03-03-2009 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 (Post 18297727)
According to Forbes, the Flyers are the most valuable NHL team that is not an Original 6 team (quite astounding actually).

If you don't include the Canadian teams (Toronto #1 and Canadiens #3) the Rangers, Red Wings and Flyers are the most valuable NHL franchises in the US.

The Flyers are also one of the most successful franchises in NHL history (as far as winning percentage goes). Since their first season, the Flyers have maintained the 2nd highest winning percentage, behind only the Montreal Canadiens.

Of course, the Cup is all that matters to me, and it's been awhile since a Flyer has hoisted it.

Even if you include the Canadian teams in your thinking, the Rangers, Red Wings, and Flyers are still the most valuable NHL franchises in the US :sarcasm:

DeadPhish5858 03-03-2009 10:30 AM

I believe Colorado is the other NHL 'flagship' franchise.

IrishSniper87 03-03-2009 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CantSeeColors (Post 18299380)
Even if you include the Canadian teams in your thinking, the Rangers, Red Wings, and Flyers are still the most valuable NHL franchises in the US :sarcasm:

I realized that a short while after I wrote it, and just hoped it would slip by everyone.

Looks like I didn't get away with it.

Anyway!

That reminds me of a FAILblog picture, where some guitar said "Made In America" on it, and then it had a Mexico stamp, and people were laughing and joking about how Mexico is not America and how the person who assembled the guitar "failed". Then one guy pointed out that Mexico is a part of the Americas.

Haha, guess some people really are ignorant! And people wonder why the rest of the world hates us.

Pwood 03-03-2009 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 (Post 18297727)

Thanks for the support to my comment (and great analysis that followed)!

IrishSniper87 03-03-2009 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pwood (Post 18300475)
Thanks for the support to my comment (and great analysis that followed)!

No problem!

flountown 03-03-2009 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom (Post 18298934)
#2 DETROIT
vs.
#6 COLUMBUS
Sure, they are in the same division but there is hardly a rivalry betweek them. Its like us and the Islanders. Detroit has ran them over for the past...well ever. They may seem close in the standings but they are separated by 22 points in the standings.

Minus the point differential, this is one of the few budding rivalries in the West. Columbus is battling for a spot in the play-offs and have actually beaten the Red Wings in their last two meetings, IIRC. They seem to be almost kryptonite to the Red Wings as well as showcasing one of the best young goalies to hit the NHL in a while.

I would watch this game in a heartbeat, I hate NBC's TV coverage though, Pierre is an idiot who wants to pussify the game and the play-by-play guy can't correctly identify players. I don't know why anyone in our area would want the game on NBC.

Gert B Frobe 03-03-2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 (Post 18299465)
I realized that a short while after I wrote it, and just hoped it would slip by everyone.

Looks like I didn't get away with it.

Anyway!

That reminds me of a FAILblog picture, where some guitar said "Made In America" on it, and then it had a Mexico stamp, and people were laughing and joking about how Mexico is not America and how the person who assembled the guitar "failed". Then one guy pointed out that Mexico is a part of the Americas.

Haha, guess some people really are ignorant! And people wonder why the rest of the world hates us.

I know why the rest of the world hates us and I don't ****ing care.

IrishSniper87 03-03-2009 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaineer (Post 18308177)
I know why the rest of the world hates us and I don't ****ing care.

:laugh:

CNote 03-03-2009 03:26 PM

This game will also air on TSN.

JLHockeyKnight 03-03-2009 03:40 PM

If by golden child you mean "pays players on their team in gold to do zero work," then yes, they're a golden child.

Miss Mess 03-03-2009 03:47 PM

Not surprising, networks love the NY teams. I hope we kick their ass again.

Jules801 03-03-2009 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CantSeeColors (Post 18299380)

LOL, sorry Snipe.

Well, I hope the Rangers are still down in the dumps for this game. This is my yearly trek to NY to see a Rangers/Flyers game. It's always more fun when we win in their house...LOL