HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Is montreal a bonafide stanley cup contender? #2 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=61598)

Youreallygotme 03-12-2004 10:50 PM

Is montreal a bonafide stanley cup contender? #2

i better not get laughed at like poor guy who made the last thread regarding this. How can this team not be considered as a stanley cup contender? heres a question for you: who was more of a contender last year, detroit or anaheim? YEAH ANAHEIM I THOUGHT SO. They proved everyone wrong including me, who predicted them out in 4, first round breakfast food. Just like carolina the year before, washington a while back, etc., etc. This team has all the tools to be this years sleeper: Goalie who's just as good as giguere, very good offense, better than average defense with a big stopper(just like carney), and lots of defensive forwards.

Its ridiculous how the last guy got treated, because "oh yeah because theyve been on a hot streak theyre suddenly a stanley cup contender? Haw haw haw what a nidiot". Well guess what that last hot streak and this one is getting them into the playoffs....and anyone who makes the playoffs can go all the way. so calgary, montreal, Even new york can go all the way.

So guess what guys: MONTREAL IS A LEGIT CUP CONTENDER, AND THERES NOTHING YOU LEAF FANS/ BOSTON FANS CAN DO.

and no im not a habs fan, as my name should indicate.

BTW what do you think of my prediction for the finals: SAN JOSE VS OTTAWA.

Karl Pilkington 03-12-2004 11:03 PM

GO HABS GO :yo:

People might bash you man.. but I agree.. my feeling on the playoffs is that everyone who makes it is a bonified cup contender. You never know what can happen.. and if the habs do make the finals this year.. I hope they dont turn out lie Carolina and Anaheim both did the following season.. damn that would suck.

leafaholix* 03-12-2004 11:04 PM

Anyone can pull a Cinderella act... like Anaheim and Carolina.

Is Montreal a potential "sleeper"? Yes.

Are they a legit contender? No.

Pontifex Maximus* 03-12-2004 11:06 PM

Well there is the fact that Montreal is nowhere near as good as New Jersey, Toronto, Ottawa, and Philadelphia. But anything can happen.

Kirk Muller 03-12-2004 11:07 PM

NO they aren't a contender, and I am a hab fan.

But therein lies the beauty of the playoffs and why we still play the games, anyone can win, anything can happen.

Natural Habs Fan 03-12-2004 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrachlinexperience
Well there is the fact that Montreal is nowhere near as good as New Jersey, Toronto, Ottawa, and Philadelphia. But anything can happen.

3. Boston 89
4. Ottawa 88
5. Toronto 88
6. New Jersey 85
7. Montreal 83

leafaholix* 03-12-2004 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan
3. Boston 89
4. Ottawa 88
5. Toronto 88
6. New Jersey 85
7. Montreal 83

Montreal isn't at the same level as Toronto, Ottawa, or New Jersey.

Finkle is Einhorn 03-12-2004 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan
3. Boston 89
4. Ottawa 88
5. Toronto 88
6. New Jersey 85
7. Montreal 83

I like Montreal, but I'd take all 4 of the teams listed above them in a 7 game series. But as it has been stated before, that doesn't mean Montreal can't do some damage in the playoffs.......

EaGLE1 03-12-2004 11:24 PM

I prefer entering the playoffs with goalies such as Theodore/Garon than old Eddie & The Kidd :)

Also, Toronto are too old to win the cup. They are not comparable to Red Wings cup edition. It will be Ottawa vs Colorado!!!

Superfluous U 03-13-2004 12:18 AM

Garon and Kidd only matter if Belfour or Theodore gets hurt. I think everyone admits that as Belfour goes, so go the Leafs' cup hopes. If Theodore gets hurt, Garon is capable of not losing them games. Doesn't change the fact the Toronto has a much better chance of going far than Montreal. Theodore might get unbelievably hot, Montreal might play amazing, Montreal might make the finals. But it isn't likely.

Habsolution 03-13-2004 12:24 AM

Trivia question of the week : how many teams have more wins than the habs this season ?

EDIT : not trying to prove anything here...

andora 03-13-2004 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nucks&flames
i better not get laughed at like poor guy who made the last thread regarding this. How can this team not be considered as a stanley cup contender? heres a question for you: who was more of a contender last year, detroit or anaheim? YEAH ANAHEIM I THOUGHT SO. They proved everyone wrong including me, who predicted them out in 4, first round breakfast food. Just like carolina the year before, washington a while back, etc., etc. This team has all the tools to be this years sleeper: Goalie who's just as good as giguere, very good offense, better than average defense with a big stopper(just like carney), and lots of defensive forwards.

So guess what guys: MONTREAL IS A LEGIT CUP CONTENDER, AND THERES NOTHING YOU LEAF FANS/ BOSTON FANS CAN DO.

and no im not a habs fan, as my name should indicate.

BTW what do you think of my prediction for the finals: SAN JOSE VS OTTAWA.

whatever, anaheim contender? nooooo.. cinderella act, yes. did anaheim win? no, they didn't, a contender won, and hence why we label contenders...

anaheim wasn't, carolina wasn't, washington wasn't, and neither is montreal. montreal for sure is a sleeper to perhaps do some damage, maybe a couple rounds, but they AREN"T A CONTENDER

some words are thrown around far far far too easy and carelessly around here *elite, top pairing, top line, contender etc...*

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafaholix
Anyone can pull a Cinderella act... like Anaheim and Carolina.

Is Montreal a potential "sleeper"? Yes.

Are they a legit contender? No.

simple, yet true

Ziggy Stardust 03-13-2004 12:27 AM

A hot goalie can take you far... so hope that Theodore steps it up in the playoffs. And I do think that he is better than Giguere.

PecaFan 03-13-2004 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nucks&flames
i better not get laughed at like poor guy who made the last thread regarding this. How can this team not be considered as a stanley cup contender? heres a question for you: who was more of a contender last year, detroit or anaheim? YEAH ANAHEIM I THOUGHT SO. They proved everyone wrong including me, who predicted them out in 4, first round breakfast food. Just like carolina the year before, washington a while back, etc., etc. This team has all the tools to be this years sleeper

You're confusing winning some games in the playoffs with "contender". Just because a team beats another doesn't make them a contender. Just as you said, the word for that is "sleeper".

And sleepers *never* win the Cup. Ever. Carolina and Washington were never a threat to win the Cup at all. Anaheim got closer than anyone ever before, on the strength of superhuman goaltending, and a lucky 7 for 7 in overtime.

Can Montreal go on a run, and win a series or two, maybe even three? By all means. But they're not a contender as long as they're in that 7th seed. The road is just too tough, no one has ever pulled it off.

Youreallygotme 03-13-2004 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andora
whatever, anaheim contender? nooooo.. cinderella act, yes. did anaheim win? no, they didn't, a contender won, and hence why we label contenders...

anaheim wasn't, carolina wasn't, washington wasn't, and neither is montreal. montreal for sure is a sleeper to perhaps do some damage, maybe a couple rounds, but they AREN"T A CONTENDER

some words are thrown around far far far too easy and carelessly around here *elite, top pairing, top line, contender etc...*

simple, yet true

so because they lost that one game 7 they werent contenders? give me a break. if they had won youd still prolly be saying they werent contenders. regular season and playoffs are WAY different. Anaheim finished 7th in the reg. season....but 2nd where it matters.

Luigi Lemieux 03-13-2004 12:34 AM

the east is wide open imo.

if they are totally healthy and have theodore playing well, they have as good a shot as anyone to come out of the east.

what seed were they in '93?

Carbonneau 03-13-2004 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Metamorphosis

if they are totally healthy and have theodore playing well, they have as good a shot as anyone to come out of the east.

They didn't have home ice against Quebec for sure.

Habsolution 03-13-2004 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Metamorphosis

3rd in their division but only 5 teams had more points than them that season. They ended the season with 102 pts and 48 wins.

Pens and Bruins were favourites.

Karl Pilkington 03-13-2004 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsolution
Trivia question of the week : how many teams have more wins than the habs this season ?

Yeah.. Montreal has 37 Wins.. Only Toronto (38) Tampa Bay (40) and Detroit(40) have more. :yo:

Karl Pilkington 03-13-2004 12:51 AM

Quote:

3rd in their division but only 5 teams had more points than them that season. They ended the season with 102 pts and 48 wins.

Pens and Bruins were favourites.

And the bruins were swept first round by Buffalo..

Pens lost in 7 to the Islanders..

Which proves anything can happen in the playoffs

s7ark 03-13-2004 04:08 AM

Quote:

Montreal isn't at the same level as Toronto, Ottawa, or New Jersey.

While this might not technically be true, I think Montreal has the goaltending advantage over the first two, perhaps more talented forwards than New Jersey, and perhaps as good a coach as either. Toss up for the blue lines. Depth, well, that's kind of a toss up as well, except I see New Jersey being susceptible to losing 1 or 2 key players that would immediately eliminate their chances of going all the way. Montreal enjoys the luxury of relatively talented depth, and youth. Look at the recent trends, too. Montreal and Tampa are the hottest teams right now. Anything can happen. With only 10 points separating Montreal from first (5 from Toronto), it seems obvious that almost all these teams are on the same level.

s7ark 03-13-2004 04:13 AM

Quote:

Just incase no one is taking this seriously, the answer is only 3 (T Bay by 3, Detroit by 3, and Toronto by 1). That has to mean they are a legit contender or atleast not your stereotypical "Cinderella". Good point!

leafaholix* 03-13-2004 04:15 AM

Toronto, Ottawa, and New Jersey are proven playoff teams... Montreal is not.

Poignant Discussion 03-13-2004 04:21 AM

Quote:

Toronto, Ottawa, and New Jersey are proven playoff teams... Montreal is not.

Ooooh ouch. I'm not sure I'd be mentioning Ottawa in the proven department. Montreal went a couple rounds 2 years ago and Ottawa has forever been deemed as underachievers

Ziggy Stardust 03-13-2004 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NataSatan666
Ooooh ouch. I'm not sure I'd be mentioning Ottawa in the proven department. Montreal went a couple rounds 2 years ago and Ottawa has forever been deemed as underachievers

Ottawa took the Stanley Cup champion New Jersey Devils to 7 games, and the game could have gone either way and they were a win away from facing the Mighty Ducks in the Finals... the last time the Habs got to the third round (and advanced to win the Cup), was in '93, which happened to be the Senators first season.
Oooh ouch... I think somebody just got put in their place.