HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Still not sold on more expensive skates...yet. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=616008)

tobyandmisty 03-05-2009 06:01 AM

Still not sold on more expensive skates...yet.
 
Like everyone else I want to be able to play my best and I know there are a ton of good expensive skates out there. I have been using a Bauer, maybe $50.00 or so and have no complaints. My foot seems to fit well and they do not hurt. Of course I always think to myself that I could skate better with a better skate, but I am not so sure of it yet.

I know the biggest thing with higher line skates is the support. Will more support make you a better skater or incur less injuries? Like I had mentioned in the past I can see the differences in roller blades but not so much in ice skates.

noobman 03-05-2009 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobyandmisty (Post 18355029)
Like everyone else I want to be able to play my best and I know there are a ton of good expensive skates out there. I have been using a Bauer, maybe $50.00 or so and have no complaints. My foot seems to fit well and they do not hurt. Of course I always think to myself that I could skate better with a better skate, but I am not so sure of it yet.

I know the biggest thing with higher line skates is the support. Will more support make you a better skater or incur less injuries? Like I had mentioned in the past I can see the differences in roller blades but not so much in ice skates.

You get better support out of a stiffer boot, and added protection. If you're leisure skating a $50 skate is no problem, but you're playing with fire if you use those in a game of hockey... a puck to the foot will hurt a lot more in a $50 boot, since it's not really designed to protect from impact.

The Tikkanen 03-05-2009 09:10 AM

Biggest thing is weight. Add up the weight you are skating with, multiply it by # of strides you take during a game. You're using way more energy than a guy with $500 skates.

tobyandmisty 03-05-2009 01:48 PM

Good way of looking at it.
 
I can only get out 1-2 times a week in an adult league.

GuitarAwesome 03-05-2009 02:21 PM

Well, with cheaper skates, you won't perform as well. The jump from 50$ skates to say, 250$, you will notice INSTANTLY. Your strides will be faster, you'll feel lighter, you'll basically feel like you are flying. It will take alot of time to get used to, but if you play 1-2 times a week(which is a very solid amount), it is a good investment. Also, as someone mentioned, the protection is much better. Most 50$ skates are made with plastic, which will not hold up to a slapshot at all (aka broken ankle).

greech 03-05-2009 11:05 PM

Size, stride and how often you skate are huge. I only weigh 145 but I've chewed through 3 pairs of $500+ skates in two years. Pro stiffness is my only option.

Crosbyfan 03-06-2009 06:03 AM

3 pairs in two years? At 145 lbs! How much icetime do you get?

adaminnj 03-06-2009 06:59 AM

AAA hockey. 3 pairs of skates in 2 years is actually good when you play at an elite level. it's usually the outside of the skate getting the beating.

Get good skates if you want to improve, as well have them radiused or profiled to a slightly forward stance. at your level of play if you spend $250 - up you may never have to buy another pair of skates.

Sony Eriksson* 03-06-2009 08:00 AM

Price means nothing when it comes to what you like...When i was younger i got a pair of CCM Custom Fit Tacks 652's and i loved them. Parents paid like $300 or so back then. The skates to get back then were the Graf's that Gretzky was wearing. Those went for around $600 or so. I just bought a new pair of the Super Tack 652's for around $330 and i still love them. Moral of the story is that you do not need to spend a lot of money on skates...find a pair that is comfortable for you a forget the price.

adaminnj 03-06-2009 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knee Seeking Scud (Post 18380036)
Price means nothing when it comes to what you like...When i was younger i got a pair of CCM Custom Fit Tacks 652's and i loved them. Parents paid like $300 or so back then. The skates to get back then were the Graf's that Gretzky was wearing. Those went for around $600 or so. I just bought a new pair of the Super Tack 652's for around $330 and i still love them. Moral of the story is that you do not need to spend a lot of money on skates...find a pair that is comfortable for you a forget the price.

in that case just keep using your $50 dollar skates.

I think that the only reason anybody says anything about price is because at around $250 you start getting into the better skates.

A pair that fit is important but support, weight, and stance are all important in taking your skating to the next level too.

SyracuseBulldogs* 03-06-2009 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adaminnj (Post 18379734)
AAA hockey. 3 pairs of skates in 2 years is actually good when you play at an elite level. it's usually the outside of the skate getting the beating.

I played in college, practicing or playing six out of seven days a week during the season plus other playing and skating out of season and had one pair of skates, two sets of blades in four years. If you are going through that many pairs of skates you aren't taking care of them properly.

iceman17 03-06-2009 09:13 AM

Mike Komisarek of the Canadiens goes through about 10 pairs of skates/year

Chris Higgins goes through about 4 pairs/year

Granted they play everyday but that still is a pretty interesting stat.

VictoryRose 03-06-2009 09:43 AM

I miss 652s...I think Chelios and Modano are the only guys still using them.

WhipNash27 03-06-2009 09:46 AM

I went from RBK3Ks to KOR Shift 1s and could feel the difference the first time. I still don't feel that a men's league player should spend more than $200 on skates. Anything more is just overkill unless you're rolling in the money and $500 is nothing to you.

WhipNash27 03-06-2009 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceman17 (Post 18380655)
Mike Komisarek of the Canadiens goes through about 10 pairs of skates/year

Chris Higgins goes through about 4 pairs/year

Granted they play everyday but that still is a pretty interesting stat.

There are also players who go years without changing skates because they like the feel of a particular pair. It goes both ways.

adaminnj 03-06-2009 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceman17 (Post 18380655)
Mike Komisarek of the Canadiens goes through about 10 pairs of skates/year

Chris Higgins goes through about 4 pairs/year

Granted they play everyday but that still is a pretty interesting stat.

Yeah I know a kid playing AA and he goes through 4 pair a season and brakes in 4 during the summer.

1 pair in 4 years of university level that is amazing I know goalies that do more than that. I have a friend who is trying to get on the 4th non-playing line of the U of T :)

Any way I'm off to skate.

tobyandmisty 03-06-2009 10:06 AM

I would not hesitate to think that if I bought a more expensive skate, that I could glide like most of the others I play with. I just am not too sure. Just about everyone I play with has been playing for a long time and I just got started.

94now 03-06-2009 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knee Seeking Scud (Post 18380036)
Price means nothing when it comes to what you like...When i was younger i got a pair of CCM Custom Fit Tacks 652's and i loved them. Parents paid like $300 or so back then. The skates to get back then were the Graf's that Gretzky was wearing. Those went for around $600 or so. I just bought a new pair of the Super Tack 652's for around $330 and i still love them. Moral of the story is that you do not need to spend a lot of money on skates...find a pair that is comfortable for you a forget the price.

Just last week I put back my old CCM 652s after two years of Easton 1500s. There is no problem skating in my old pals, but they are by far heavier and do not allow as much agility compare to Eastons. The speed is not much different, though. The shallow groove will effect your speed much greater than anything.

WhipNash27 03-06-2009 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobyandmisty (Post 18381139)
I would not hesitate to think that if I bought a more expensive skate, that I could glide like most of the others I play with. I just am not too sure. Just about everyone I play with has been playing for a long time and I just got started.


Don't think that new expensive skates are going to make you really fast. First you have to be fast to begin with. Proper skating form, strong legs, all that stuff. If you have that, then yes, light skates will help. I think the main thing about lighter skates is that you don't get fatigued as quickly because you are carrying less weight on your feet.

Heat McManus 03-06-2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceman17 (Post 18380655)
Mike Komisarek of the Canadiens goes through about 10 pairs of skates/year

Chris Higgins goes through about 4 pairs/year

Granted they play everyday but that still is a pretty interesting stat.

gonna guess you're from LI. Boys with Chiggy?

TheOtter 03-06-2009 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobyandmisty (Post 18381139)
I would not hesitate to think that if I bought a more expensive skate, that I could glide like most of the others I play with. I just am not too sure. Just about everyone I play with has been playing for a long time and I just got started.

I can tell you my experiences as someone who started skating for hockey as a young adult (just after high school). I started with Bauer Panthers (I believe) - which were pretty cheap. I thought they were fine for a while, and then after a couple of years I upgraded to Bauer Supreme 3000s. The first time I skated with those, it was a huge difference, as I realized how much the Panthers were flexing laterally with each stride. With the Supremes, I felt like the ice was pushing back, giving me more power out of my stride. It was almost like running on pavement after spending years running the sand.

So, I don't know if you need high-end skates (I've never tried really expensive skates), but some stiffness can definitely be a good thing.

greech 03-07-2009 08:38 AM

It's not all stiffness- expensive skates give back in the form of energy return. When the skate flexes, it pops back, finishing the stride. God love 'em but a skate like my old Grafs didn't do that.

Homerocks* 03-07-2009 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SyracuseBulldogs (Post 18380378)
I played in college, practicing or playing six out of seven days a week during the season plus other playing and skating out of season and had one pair of skates, two sets of blades in four years. If you are going through that many pairs of skates you aren't taking care of them properly.

Yeah, I always hear the kids, "I go through x amount of skates every season."

A wet skate that never dries will sap the life out of it in no time, which is the case with many young guys who are skating 4, 5, 6 times a week tear through skates. It's not your amazing skating skills.

Use basic techniques to take care of your boot, and it'll last you many times as long.

adaminnj 03-07-2009 09:05 PM

OK here is a good reason to buy GOOD skates not just expensive skates!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zad30pLX88g

cptjeff 03-07-2009 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adaminnj (Post 18408533)
OK here is a good reason to buy GOOD skates not just expensive skates!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zad30pLX88g

That video is essentially crap. Been covered before. For one, the puck is shot faster at the easton skate, and it also says nothing about the impact transfer. Just because the composite moves a lot doesn't mean anything- it could be stiffer and transfer more of the shot to the boot and thus protecting your ankle more, or it might catch more of an impact from that one particular angle... Basically that video is a propaganda piece.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.