HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Cutting a composite blade down (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=616127)

RaoulDuke2k 03-05-2009 12:03 PM

Cutting a composite blade down

Hi,
I was thinking of trimming a bit off of the blade of my one piece - has anyone done this? Any issues?

I figured that I would sand and seal it when I was done to inhibit delams.

XweekendwarriorX 03-05-2009 01:52 PM

i have thought about this my self but do not have saws or tools to do the job to perfection. i use a hacksaw and sand paper for my works mostly on butt ends.

GuitarAwesome 03-05-2009 02:13 PM

Chipping and cracking are your enemy here. I file the tips down to a square on most of them, just a simple jigsaw cut, then sand. Never really taken more than that off though, i'd imagine a saw would result in some cracking the farther in you go if you aren't careful. Sanding and sealing is your best choice if you are gonna go for it though, dont recommend large cuts

RaoulDuke2k 03-05-2009 05:20 PM

yeah, I'm afraid of cutting into a foam core, if it's there. I might just leave it - don't want to ruin the stick.

Elshupacabra 03-05-2009 06:21 PM

I'd worry about cutting into the core too.

But if you DO attempt it. Maybe you could try to wrap some masking tape around the blade right behind where you are going to cut it. That might minimize the chipping some They suggest you do that when cutting wood that you don't want chipping. It might not work cutting composite but, it couldn't hurt?

Greeneye 03-05-2009 06:55 PM

I'd practice on an old blade first, I doubt this would be easy to pull off.

cptjeff 03-05-2009 07:03 PM

Odds are that there's a foam core there. I would recommend not trying it. If it was a two piece I would say go ahead and try it if you're willing to part with the blade if it doesn't work, but a OPS? Not a real great idea.

noobman 03-05-2009 11:55 PM

I can't recommend trying that. The blades on one-piece sticks often have a very complex design, and altering the edge could effectively break the stick.

RaoulDuke2k 03-06-2009 10:45 AM

it's a one piece, so I probably won't do it. My other stick is a shaft so I'll just try a shorter blade with that one.

The Depahted 03-06-2009 11:12 AM

Foam core= no shaving

however some warriors (macdaddy?) have a solid carbon blade. i wouldn't advise it even then but it could be feasible on the MD

greech 03-06-2009 04:11 PM

Blade will die if you do that, it'll be like an old wood blade

Marc Bergevins Suit 03-06-2009 05:01 PM

I took some off my blade, the end used to square(Jovanovski curve), i rounded it nicely, took maybe 2cm off, maybe more.

A lot of NHL'ers do it, just dont take too much off.

Use a belt sander for best results.