HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Learning to stop on your weak foot. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=617392)

DevFan-RU- 03-08-2009 09:34 PM

Learning to stop on your weak foot.
 
I'm a bit backwards with my hockey playing. I hold the stick in my right hand, yet I stop leading with my right foot. (Most people usually stop while leading with the foot opposite of their stick handedness).

So basically, I want to be able to stop with my 'weak' or non-dominant foot.

Any suggestions? I tried forcing it, but that just leads to disastrous consequences.

PhysicalTorque 03-08-2009 09:40 PM

Hey, I am right handed and my strong foot is my right as well, though, I can only stop on my left foot which is my weak one, it's pretty odd.

I remember that I started stopping with snow plows on my left, maybe you could do those to your weak foot.

Gunnar Stahl 30 03-08-2009 09:44 PM

youre going to just have to practice it. if you know how to do it one way, look at how you are doing it and do it the same on your weak side.

it just feels uncomfortable but you have to force yourself to do it, despite how uncomfortable it feels. you have to commit to it though, you cant just do it until you feel comfortable enough, you have to really go at it and not be afraid to fall

adaminnj 03-08-2009 09:59 PM

learn to shoot left? ;)

I stop on either side and I'm not sure how I learned. I feel better stopping to the left (right foot leading) but I stop either direction and shoot left. I guess I would suggest turning right and pushing your heels a bit working slow and working your way through it until you can do it at speed.

Placebo Effect 03-08-2009 10:07 PM

I'm in the same boat, relatively speaking. I shoot right and can stop right (left foot forward). I usually spend 5-10 mins just trying to stop my weak side every time I go to stick and puck now (probably could/should work on it more cause that's really my weakest part of skating) and I feel it slowly starting to get better. It will be a while before I start stopping left naturally. I also don't stagger my feet when I stop (I don't think), they're lined up.

TBLightningFan 03-08-2009 10:59 PM

I am just starting out and I am running into that. When I go to open skate, I try to stick to a 5:1 ratio. 5 left for every 1 right. So far it is slowly improving. It's hard to do that in open skate because with the constant counterclockwise direction, I want to stop that way too.

Headcoach 03-09-2009 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevFan-RU- (Post 18426315)
I'm a bit backwards with my hockey playing. I hold the stick in my right hand, yet I stop leading with my right foot. (Most people usually stop while leading with the foot opposite of their stick handedness).

So basically, I want to be able to stop with my 'weak' or non-dominant foot.

Any suggestions? I tried forcing it, but that just leads to disastrous consequences.

Well, I might be a little thick. But let me ask this....

If you hold the stick with your right hand, does this mean you shoot left? When you skate backwards with one hand on your stick, do you hold it in your right hand?

Before I can help, I need you to answer this question.

Head coach

Ragss 03-09-2009 02:25 AM

Do snowplow stops, thats where you point both feet inwards a little bit. Keep doing this, but slowly put a little bit more weight on your off foot until you can turn the off foot all the way and stop with it. Worked for me, at least.

Even though I got myself to stop on my off foot, I still always use my good foot in a high speed situation, often meaning I need to stop then spin to follow the play. Yikes.

Huggy Bear* 03-09-2009 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevFan-RU- (Post 18426315)
I'm a bit backwards with my hockey playing. I hold the stick in my right hand, yet I stop leading with my right foot. (Most people usually stop while leading with the foot opposite of their stick handedness).

So basically, I want to be able to stop with my 'weak' or non-dominant foot.

Any suggestions? I tried forcing it, but that just leads to disastrous consequences.

Are you at rutgers?

RedMenace 03-09-2009 11:22 AM

I've played hockey on and off for the last 25 years, and I basically have the same issue. I shoot right (left hand on top of the stick) and stop almost exclusively on my right foot. My right foot seems to be where it's at -- I can stop on either edge with no issues at any speed.

My left foot, on the other hand, is rough. I can stop left, but not quickly, and when I try to the blade just bites into the ice instead of gliding. I've tried to mimic what I do with my right foot, but for some reason I just can't get the weight transfer correct. Also, when I stop right, my left foot doesn't glide over the ice, it chatters and doesn't actually help in stopping like it should. I'd really like to know if there's any secret to this as well.

<hijack>

On the same token, when watching pros skate, I notice that when they do sharp turns it seems like they slide the heel of the blade out a litte -- as is evidenced by increased spray when turning. Is that what they're doing? Is there any trick to figuring that out?

</hijack>

Gunnar Stahl 30 03-09-2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedMenace (Post 18430941)
<hijack>

On the same token, when watching pros skate, I notice that when they do sharp turns it seems like they slide the heel of the blade out a litte -- as is evidenced by increased spray when turning. Is that what they're doing? Is there any trick to figuring that out?

</hijack>

when you do a sharp turn you want to stagger your feet. so if you are turning right, have your right foot in front and left foot in back. use your outside edge and inside edge on your left foot. vice versa obviously when turning left. they spray snow because they aer really leaning into it. your weight should be on your heels more.

DevFan-RU- 03-09-2009 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Headcoach (Post 18428141)
Well, I might be a little thick. But let me ask this....

If you hold the stick with your right hand, does this mean you shoot left? When you skate backwards with one hand on your stick, do you hold it in your right hand?

Before I can help, I need you to answer this question.

Head coach

My left hand is on the end. The right hand on the shaft.

RedMenace 03-09-2009 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 (Post 18431087)
when you do a sharp turn you want to stagger your feet. so if you are turning right, have your right foot in front and left foot in back. use your outside edge and inside edge on your left foot. vice versa obviously when turning left. they spray snow because they aer really leaning into it. your weight should be on your heels more.

Well yeah, I stagger my feet, but I just carve instead of slide a little... which, most of the time if I'm trying to turn too quickly, will make me lose an edge.

Certainly makes for some nice ruts... :)

droller* 03-09-2009 11:53 AM

- Get Hans to setup like 1000 empty cans
- Skate as fast as you can toward the cans
- Attempt to stop on your weak foot
- Knock the cans down, build and repeat

;)

My actual suggestion... this may sound "childish" or whatever... Take a few adult skating lessons. If you have a girlfriend, wife, cute girl u wanna bang, etc... take her with you.
You will learn the very basics that you can build off of. Besides that, try doing snowplows (where you stand stationary, and then push to the side like you would stop). This will give you the general "feel" of how to stop properly.

Lyons71 03-09-2009 11:57 PM

Luckily, when I started playing I had to take a learn-to-skate school. 20 sessions long, the first 10 were without pucks. Totally worth it. I could stop both ways, pivot both ways, skate backwards with crossovers, all rather quickly.

I would suggest (even if you're an adult) skating school.

But like said, if you knwo how to stop on one foot, just do the same thing with the other. To get really specific, just stand on the boards at a public skating thing, and practice scraping with your bad foot to get a feel for where your edge is. Go from there.

BadHammy* 03-10-2009 01:36 AM

Practice and technique. I've neglected working on the weak foot stop, so mine is hilariously bad...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.