HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Atlanta/Los Angeles Summer Blockbuster (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=617442)

Ziggy Stardust 03-09-2009 02:02 AM

Atlanta/Los Angeles Summer Blockbuster

I don't normally do these, but here's an idea I had brewing in my head that I figured could potentially help both clubs.

To Atlanta: Alexander Frolov, Jack Johnson, Erik Ersberg, Brian Boyle.

To Los Angeles: Ilya Kovalchuk and Kari Lehtonen.

Reasoning behind this offer: Atlanta retools their club by adding players who can help now and down the road. Frolov is signed to a bargain deal and Atlanta could sign him to an extension at a reduced cost.

Jack Johnson gives Atlanta yet another young defenseman to build around along with Zach Bogosian. With Ondrej Pavelec coming up, Atlanta could use a solid backup, and Ersberg is an upgrade over Hedberg.

Brian Boyle gives Atlanta something they lack in their lineup, size up the middle. He has the potential to be a solid checking line center who could contribute, akin to Michal Handzus.

Los Angeles will acquire the coveted winger to play with Kopitar, although they would have to lock him up to a lucrative contract extension as soon as he is acquired. They also acquire a more experienced netminder in Lehtonen who is still trying to live up to the hype that surrounded him as a prospect. With his current contract at $3M, Atlanta sheds some big money and add some assets that could pay major dividends.

Frolov's potential is that of a 30+ goal scorer who will net 70+ points.

Jack Johnson's potential is that of a top 3 defenseman who will log over 20+ minutes of ice time and play in every critical situation.

Erik Ersberg's potential is that of a more than capable backup who can appear in 30 or so games and not be a liability.

Brian Boyle's potential is that of a two-way power center who can be a presence when he wants to be. He is strong on the puck, but is still learning to utilize his advantageous size.

Peter Sidorkiewicz 03-09-2009 02:20 AM

Kovalchuk is going no where

Ziggy Stardust 03-09-2009 02:26 AM

Atlanta could risk hanging onto Kovalchuk until the deadline, where either his value may be maximized (as it was with the Marian Hossa trade, although they did not replace Hossa's scoring, they got a pretty decent return).

The question is Atlanta's financial situation and ownership group and whether or not they could commit to a long term and hefty contract to lock up both Kovalchuk and Lehtonen. Kovalchuk is guaranteed to get over $7M per year and Lehtonen will be earning $3M+ as well. The Thrashers certainly do have the cap space, but are they willing to make that commitment if their future could possibly be in doubt? And would Kovalchuk want to stick around if they don't bring in some immediate help? He has seen all his teammates move on to greener pastures without him; Heatley, Savard and Hossa. Ilya could be next.

DontgoZiggy 03-09-2009 02:45 AM

That would be about the most that i'd want to see DL give up from an LA perspective, I'd rather he gave up a 1st or two than lose both JJ and Fro.

FlyLife 03-09-2009 02:45 AM

Why would the Kings want Lehtonen when they have Quick and Bernier waiting on the wings?

Legionnaire 03-09-2009 02:46 AM

No. Kovalchuk is not worth it.

You've clearly learned nothing from the Kings past. Just stop.

TheDanceOfMaternity 03-09-2009 02:50 AM

Frolov is not good enough.

Brown and Kopitar are too good.

No Kovy in LA

KingLB 03-09-2009 03:01 AM

For all Atlanta fans get use to these proposals, for some reason Kings fans are calling for Kovy in every thread and it won't stop till one of 3 things happen.

1. Kovy signs long term with ATL
2. Kovy actually does get traded to someone
3. Kings make a move for a "superstar" quality player (Gaborik, Hossa, ect)

That being said I don't see why ATL would trade Kovy unless he demanded it.

Randall Graves* 03-09-2009 03:14 AM

Atlanta gets *****, a superstar and a good goalie and the only piece that's really valuable that they have control over in return is Jack...

thadd 03-09-2009 03:33 AM

[QUOTE=Ziggy Stardust;18428470]I don't normally do these, but here's an idea I had brewing in my head that I figured could potentially help both clubs.

Frolov's cap hit is smaller next year, Jack Johnson is going to be to good to give up and L.A doesn't need a goalie. Lehtonen can never seem to stay healthy for a season. Doesn't work, sorry.

eklunds source 03-09-2009 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thadd (Post 18428789)
Frolov's cap hit is smaller next year, Jack Johnson is going to be to good to give up and L.A doesn't need a goalie. Lehtonen can never seem to stay healthy for a season. Doesn't work, sorry.

..? A player's cap hit is the total value of contract divided by length - the cap hit. It is, by definition, impossible to shrink or grow year-to-year. Not only that, but Frolov's contract was back-loaded, so his SALARY actually goes UP next year...

Not a realistic proposal and not really worth judging, imo.

hans 03-09-2009 04:09 AM

Kings fan here saying not enough from LA.

Frolov, Johnson, Moller, and 2010 1st for Kovalchuk alone. Too much for LA to stomach? In my opinion, definitely, but that's what it'd probably take. We wouldn't trade Kopitar and Quick for Todd White, Boris Valabik, Ondrej Pavelec and Daultan Leveille, would we?

Telos 03-09-2009 05:07 AM

I would rather give up two first rounders, a prospect, and a roster player. Also, everyone here is using Frolov as the bargaining chip to replace Kovy but Frolov is a UFA after next season which puts Atlanta in the exact same position they are now with Kovy... If LA wants Kovy, they need to be prepared to overpay and it will be quite a pretty penny going the other way.

dj4aces 03-09-2009 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingLB (Post 18428711)
For all Atlanta fans get use to these proposals, for some reason Kings fans are calling for Kovy in every thread and it won't stop till one of 3 things happen.

Proposals for Kovalchuk will never stop, no matter whether he is re-signed, traded, or moves back to Russia.

There's no getting used to them, though. At best, these sort of proposals are just silly.

Ollie Weeks 03-09-2009 11:32 AM

Too rich for my blood.

ArVeeDee 03-09-2009 11:37 AM

This deal is lame. I can't you people are acting like this is a good trade. Just because you have a mancrush on JJ doesn't make this fair. Kovalchuk is top five in the NHL as far as gamebreakers go.

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that we're trading a pretty solid goalie for a guy who just came onto the scene this year? His .897 SV% doesn't impress me. That and Boyle isn't ever going to be good extremely good.

Kovalchuk>Frolov/Johnson
Lehtonen>Ersberg/Boyle.

Explain to me how this is a good deal for Atlanta? I really doubt that Johnson's value is that high and Frolov is a UFA the same year that Kovalchuk is.

Magnus Fulgur 03-09-2009 12:13 PM

Folks, Don Waddell and Ilya Kovalchuk are really tight together. My suspicion is that Don's already promised him the money and Ilya's on board. I've never seen an impeding desirably UFA be so gung-ho about his team, especially a team as horrible as Atlanta. Kovy goes out of his way now to promote the team and rally the fans. At the recent Season Ticket Holder Town Hall Meeting, the owners didn't show up...Kovalchuk did and took questions about the team's future. He said Atlanta will get that one big forward they need and have a great year next season.

Last night after the game, he addressed the crowd as the #1 star and promised that with the support of the fans "We will go all the way". Ilya has already said that he wants to win with the team that drafted him...it's a challenge and a matter of pride.

Waddell said at the beginning of last season that he was preparing the owners for a Ovechkin-like contract for Kovalchuk. It's naive to think Don and Ilya haven't already reached a gentleman's agreement.

Moses Doughty 03-09-2009 12:20 PM

From a Kings fan, not enough going to the ATL, but please dont give up Fro and JMFJ at once:cry:

FlyLife 03-09-2009 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum (Post 18431672)
Folks, Don Waddell and Ilya Kovalchuk are really tight together. My suspicion is that Don's already promised him the money and Ilya's on board. I've never seen an impeding desirably UFA be so gung-ho about his team, especially a team as horrible as Atlanta. Kovy goes out of his way now to promote the team and rally the fans. At the recent Season Ticket Holder Town Hall Meeting, the owners didn't show up...Kovalchuk did and took questions about the team's future. He said Atlanta will get that one big forward they need and have a great year next season.

Last night after the game, he addressed the crowd as the #1 star and promised that with the support of the fans "We will go all the way". Ilya has already said that he wants to win with the team that drafted him...it's a challenge and a matter of pride.

Waddell said at the beginning of last season that he was preparing the owners for a Ovechkin-like contract for Kovalchuk. It's naive to think Don and Ilya haven't already reached a gentleman's agreement.

Wow, didn't know all of that went down. Hell of a way to step up as a Captain, which is also another reason why he won't be traded. People who really think their team has a chance of getting Kovie really need to get their heads checked. He can be a top 5 player in the league when he's on (like right now), and I honestly think he will sign an extension sooner than later.

Ace88* 03-09-2009 12:43 PM

In reality i dont think anyone ever is going to get Kovy. He singlehandedly will probably carry that team to the playoffs the next time they make it in. I love his attitude, he's a great guy and loves his (completely terrible) team. Good for him, and nobody is going to get him.

That's not going to stop the proposals, of course.

Zal 03-09-2009 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust (Post 18428470)
I don't normally do these, but here's an idea I had brewing in my head that I figured could potentially help both clubs.

Reasoning behind this offer: Atlanta retools their club by adding players who can help now and down the road. Frolov is signed to a bargain deal and Atlanta could sign him to an extension at a reduced cost.

Jack Johnson gives Atlanta yet another young defenseman to build around along with Zach Bogosian. With Ondrej Pavelec coming up, Atlanta could use a solid backup, and Ersberg is an upgrade over Hedberg.

Brian Boyle gives Atlanta something they lack in their lineup, size up the middle. He has the potential to be a solid checking line center who could contribute, akin to Michal Handzus.

Los Angeles will acquire the coveted winger to play with Kopitar, although they would have to lock him up to a lucrative contract extension as soon as he is acquired. They also acquire a more experienced netminder in Lehtonen who is still trying to live up to the hype that surrounded him as a prospect. With his current contract at $3M, Atlanta sheds some big money and add some assets that could pay major dividends.

Frolov's potential is that of a 30+ goal scorer who will net 70+ points.

Jack Johnson's potential is that of a top 3 defenseman who will log over 20+ minutes of ice time and play in every critical situation.

Erik Ersberg's potential is that of a more than capable backup who can appear in 30 or so games and not be a liability.

Brian Boyle's potential is that of a two-way power center who can be a presence when he wants to be. He is strong on the puck, but is still learning to utilize his advantageous size.

He won't come to the Kings. Three reasons..

1) He re-signs with Atlanta, if not..
2) He goes to a serious contender at the deadline. I.e. SJ, Boston, Detroit, Vancouver, Calgary(high 90's-100's points teams)
3) Dean doesn't have the balls to go after him.

Pipe dreams are wonderful, though.

dutchcrunch14 03-09-2009 01:03 PM

atl doesnt have much of an offense besides kovalchuk... frolov isnt good enough to fill his void if he leaves... for atl to be successful, they need to somehow get players like in this deal while keeping kovalchuk

DarKarTs 03-09-2009 01:07 PM

I think they should settle on some Solid players to gain some depth.

backofthenet 03-09-2009 01:14 PM

It's funny...We King's Fans spen all season looking to trade Johnson for a top winger and I would bet if it happened, We would spend all next season looking for a player of Johnson's caliber.

Jack Johnson is not a depth player on the Kings. He is a key to the future success.

That is not to say that giving up Johnson + for Kovo is not a fair trade. It is very fair value wise. But it does not make sense.

And no, Hickey, Tuebert, Voinov, Etc. are not "replacements for JJ.

The fact is the Kings have good depth at D right now, but the actual talent level is not where it needs to be at this time.

We have 2, maybe three top 4 dmen. Doughty, Johnson, Quincy.

We have two good 5/6 dmen in Green and OD.

We have a very good utility dman in Harrold.

A decent number 7 in Gauthier.

Get rid of Johnson and we will be scrambling to fill that slot.

Now, if two or three of our young prospect come up and prove they can play that 1-4 spot all the time, then yes, there will be a dman that is expecdable.

But not until then.

We just got to this point of having some decent depth at D, let's enjoy it for a while.

IslesDude 03-09-2009 01:18 PM

LA is not giving up enough for one of the best players in hockey. Add in a first and swap Boyle for Moller. Replace Lehtonen with Pavelec and Ersberg with Quick.

and

why

do

you

to

type

this

?