HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The Philadelphia St Patricks? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=61766)

MacDaddy TLC* 03-13-2004 04:22 PM

The Philadelphia St Patricks?

It almost happened! An agreement had been reached with interests in Philadelphia to purchase the Toronto St Patricks and relocate them to the City of Brotherly Love. A last minute, last ditch effort by Conn Smythe, thanks to a lot of wheeling dealing, schmoozing, and luck saved the team that he rechristened the Toronto Maple Leafs.

and now you know the rest of the story. ;)

BrimFullofAsham45 03-13-2004 04:34 PM

Thank god! I'd be ashamed to have that organization as my home team. :) :p

Steve L* 03-13-2004 05:21 PM

The thought of Domi, Marchment and Tucker playing for my team makes me feel ill!

MacDaddy TLC* 03-13-2004 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve L
The thought of Domi, Marchment and Tucker playing for my team makes me feel ill!

Uhm Steve, the year was 1997, not 2004. If you alter history so much as to remove the toronto Maple Leafs, maybe Bryan Marchment would have been Briana Marchment, or that might be Prime minister Tie Domi, or Darcy Tucker might have been the President of the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce......

what i'm trying to say is the players of now aren't part of the deal, but Red Horner might be trolling the Flyers board instead...

Blows your mind doesn't it? :D

Brad* 03-13-2004 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacDaddy Version 1.3
Uhm Steve, the year was 1997, not 2004. If you alter history so much as to remove the toronto Maple Leafs, maybe Bryan Marchment would have been Briana Marchment, or that might be Prime minister Tie Domi, or Darcy Tucker might have been the President of the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce......

what i'm trying to say is the players of now aren't part of the deal, but Red Horner might be trolling the Flyers board instead...

Doesn't matter, you're still a closet Flyers fan anyway.

The Seeker 25 03-14-2004 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacDaddy Version 1.3
or that might be Prime minister Tie Domi, or Darcy Tucker might have been the President of the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce......

With those analogies, NO DOUBT..... :eek:

donelikedinner 03-14-2004 09:23 AM

well, there goes my appetite. anyone want my breakfast? :joker:

Steve L* 03-14-2004 10:28 AM

Oops, I dont really care about Toronto enough to know about that. :blush:

Killer 93 03-14-2004 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve L
Oops, I dont really care about Toronto enough to know about that. :blush:

You don't care about Toronto? :joker:

Steve L* 03-14-2004 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leaf Defender
You don't care about Toronto? :joker:

Well I hope they lose every game but I dont care about their history, in fact the only thing I know about Torontos history is the Leafs have gone the longest time of any team without a Stanley Cup finals appearence. :lol:

flyershistory 03-14-2004 05:10 PM

Toronto Star, 14 February 1946, p. 16.

Philadelphia, Feb. 14 - The United States district court has been asked to forbid establishment of a National Hockey league franchise in Philadelphia.

A suit, filed by Philadelphia Arena, Incorporated, which owns an inactive Philadelphia franchise in the American Hockey League, named Leonard A. Peto, President Mervyn Dutton and six directors of the National Hockey League as defendants. No hearing date has been set by Judge Welsh.

Peto recently announced he hoped to transfer the franchise of the defunct Montreal Maroons of the N.H.L. here. He asked the city zoning board for permission to erect a $2,500,000 indoor sports stadium at the former site of Baker bowl, for many years the home of Philadelphia Phillies of the National Baseball league.

"Although the defendants have full knowledge of the fact that we are members of the American Hockey league and an affiliation agreement is in effect between the National and American leagues providing territorial rights of each club, Peto has applied for a franchise to operate in Philadelphia," Morris Wolf, counsel for the arena, told the court.

Plan is Mammoth

Wolf said Peto "has stated he will obtain the franchise by action of the National Hockey league directors in New York Feb. 15."

Peto told the city zoning board that his proposed building would be the largest indoor sports stadium in the country. It would have seating capacity for 20,000 hockey spectators and for 25,000 fight fans.

The zoning board took his application under advisement.

N.H.L. directors named defendants in the injunction suit were Arthur H. Ross, Boston; William J. Tobin, Chicago; Senator Donat Raymond, Montreal; Brig. John Reid Kilpatrick, New York; James Norris, Detroit, and Conny Smythe, Toronto.