HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   News Article: Wayne Fleming's thoughts on Alexei Cherepanov (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=617873)

RangerBoy 03-10-2009 08:51 AM

Wayne Fleming's thoughts on Alexei Cherepanov

Wayne Fleming coached Omsk earlier this season.Omsk hired Fleming on Jaromir Jagr's recommendation after speaking with Tom Renney.Fleming is a long time NHL assistant coach.He called Glen Sather about the news concerning Cherepanov.

Quote:

"We were playing Chris Simon's team. Yes, that Chris Simon. I think there were 1,000 penalty minutes. Anyway, they were a big, physical team. Before the game started, I was walking down behind the bench, stopped and said to Alexei, 'No fighting tonight, huh?' And he smiled at me. He had a wonderful little smile.

"That's the last thing I ever said to him
.''
Quote:

"Oh, yeah, he would've been a really, really, good NHLer. Anyone blessed with the sort of goal-scoring ability Alexei had could've done it in any league. But it was his enthusiasm that set him apart. There are lot of talented players, from Sweden and Finland and Russia and all over. What sets the great ones apart is that kind of enthusiasm.

"He wasn't the same type of player as Ovechkin, but he had the same sort of passion for the game.

"He was the Chosen One, the Golden Boy, of Omsk. He'd grown up there and was a source of pride for the entire city. But all of Russia grieved when he died
http://www.calgaryherald.com/Health/...212/story.html

:(

MortUWary 03-10-2009 10:59 AM

Thanks for posting this RangerBoy. I keep getting a 504 Bad Gateway error, but I'm going to keep trying during the day to read this.

It's a shame that he was taken so young. I love hockey and I love the Rangers, but I would've rather he lived and was told that he could no longer play hockey than for him to have lost his life. R.I.P. Lyosha. Hopefully Avangard (Omsk) will go on to win it all for you this year!

HockeyBasedNYC 03-10-2009 11:05 AM

Makes me feel even worse about it.

vipernsx 03-10-2009 11:06 AM

RIP Cherry.

Section311 03-10-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC (Post 18449871)
Makes me feel even worse about it.

Exaclty

Burlington Bomb 26 03-10-2009 12:01 PM

I still can't believe he is gone.:(

Inferno 03-10-2009 12:06 PM

this makes me sad :(

HatTrick Swayze 03-10-2009 12:08 PM

This makes me very sad...gotta hate seeing a kid get taken so young.

RIP Alexei...

2 Late 2 Anton 03-10-2009 01:16 PM

It's still weird to think that this kid is in the ground, that his life is already over. So many people had such high hopes and expectations for him, it seems so odd that no one will see any of those things they had hoped or expected to see.

NYReign 03-10-2009 01:20 PM

I still haven't been able to get over this...RIP Alexei

LyNX27 03-10-2009 01:44 PM

Very sad still. My heart feels heavy for him and his family.

i like that name. "The Golden Boy of OMSK"

1Knee1T 03-10-2009 03:02 PM

I've been writing a paper on human rights violations in Russia for the last couple of weeks, and I've used the Cherepanov story for a large chunk of my paper. Re-living all the articles is a lot harder than I thought it would be.

mean machine 03-10-2009 03:03 PM

I was very happy to see the Rangers pick him in the draft. He definitely was an exciting prospect to have in the system, and I couldn't wait to see him in the NHL playing for my team...

RIP

we want cup 03-10-2009 04:32 PM

Very weird for me to keep hearing all this about someone who was only born 3 months or so before I was....

broadwayblue 03-10-2009 05:07 PM

certainly the low point of the season for me. what a terrible loss.

RangerBoy 03-10-2009 05:25 PM

I remember that day.It was Columbus day.I read squishy's post about Cherepanov scoring a goal in that game.Later I was watching St.Louis-Toronto and Nikolai Kulemin scored a slick shootout goal(thinking it will be nice to see Cherepanov do that soon).I check TSN and there is a big picture of Cherepanov but it took a few seconds for the headline to appear.I thought the arbitrator had made a ruling about draft rights of European players and the transfer agreement(because there was that case between the NHL and NHLPA).When the headline came up that he was dead,I was :facepalm::noway:

McMonster 03-10-2009 05:56 PM

it's still pretty shocking... happened out of NOWHERE.

KotsyJr 03-10-2009 06:12 PM

I was at a funeral the day it happened. Go figure... :(