HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Looking for 2-piece (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=618521)

hubby1746 03-12-2009 12:39 AM

Looking for 2-piece

Watsup guys, im new to these boards and just started playing hockey again after 5 years, just at a local rink playing pick up 2-3 times per week. Ive always used sher-woods but the blades chip really quick, and the shafts get pretty dinged up, so im in the market for a 2 piece. Im looking into either the Warrior AK27 or the Dolomite for shafts, but im having a hard time deciding whether i want tapered or standard. Im not sure if im gonna go wood or composite blade but im gonna try both, but my question is, is it hard to find wooden tapered blades?

Also, how do 2-pieces hold up when shooting in general? i feel like id always be thinking about breaking the blade off. And finally, how is the feel for the puck when compared to 1-piece wooden sticks?
Thanks in advance for any replies, any help would be greatly appreciated

iamtherunner 03-12-2009 12:52 AM

Wooden tapered blades are harder to find than standard ones but you can get them, Easton makes some and I think Sherwood does as well. I've always used two piece sticks and they hold up to shooting fine, the blades don't break any easier than a regular blade on a stick would.

The choice between tapered and standard really comes down to personal preference, I just bought a tapered shaft (Synergy II) but haven't been able to test it out yet so I can't really comment on it. I think in your case it might be a better idea to go standard if you're going to be swapping between blades and trying out different ones just because standard blades are usually easier to find (also in many cases cheaper).

iceman17 03-12-2009 09:35 AM

Bauer makes a Vapor XXXX wood blade thats tapered...you can find it on hockeymonnkey.com. I just bout the vapor XXXX composite blade (tapered), but have yet to try it out.

simnorm 03-12-2009 11:49 AM

I just paired a dolomite shaft with a TPS R2 wooden tapered blade. The guys at the LHS had no idea they even had them, looks like it was old stock.

Pretty light combo as the blade weighs 160g, I had them weight it before I bought it. I had to use tape on the tenon to make it fit nice and tight.

hubby1746 03-12-2009 04:58 PM

thanks for all the advice so far. i went to the store today to check out blades. What's the difference in the looks of tapered/standard blades and shafts? whats different about the hosel and the shaft?

Brodeur 03-12-2009 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hubby1746 (Post 18492575)
thanks for all the advice so far. i went to the store today to check out blades. What's the difference in the looks of tapered/standard blades and shafts? whats different about the hosel and the shaft?

The tapered blade with have a shorter hosel. Dolomite (tapered) vs. AK-27 (standard):

http://img.inlinewarehouse.com/big/WDBL-big.jpg

http://img.inlinewarehouse.com/big/WABS-big.jpg

I believe the hosel width for tapered is .52" while standard is .62". A tapered shaft/blade will behave more closely like the one piece stick that most pros use. The lower connection point will allow you (in theory) to get your shot off quicker.

The one downside with going the tapered route is blade selection. Until recently, most companies just had a high end tapered blade. If you're playing outdoors (or just break blades quickly), it sucks having to drop $50+ every time. But now companies are starting to make wood/ABS tapered blades which are a bit more economical.

Greeneye 03-12-2009 05:39 PM

dolomite shaft/blade combo is awesome. I have noticed no difference between the combo vs. a regular dolo.

UserName 03-12-2009 06:54 PM

i use ak27 shaft and blade. light and durable.

hubby1746 03-12-2009 09:56 PM

ya i mostly play outside, well during the winter at least, im trying to find a place to play during the spring/summer months. i read that tapered shafts get narrower towards the blade, does this make them any less durable than standard shafts? the tapered shaft/blade combo def seems more attractive to me cuz its closer to the feel of a 1-piece, but if they r less durable im gonna have to go with the standard cuz wooden sticks seem more popular than composites with the crowd i play with, so im gonna need it to hold up against those clunky woodies.

hubby1746 03-20-2009 09:27 AM

how would a composite shaft hold up outside during the winter months? i play at an outdoor rink and it can get pretty cold, mostly between 10-30 degrees, would that make the shaft less durable?

Stefan It Up 03-20-2009 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hubby1746 (Post 18500962)
ya i mostly play outside, well during the winter at least, im trying to find a place to play during the spring/summer months. i read that tapered shafts get narrower towards the blade, does this make them any less durable than standard shafts? the tapered shaft/blade combo def seems more attractive to me cuz its closer to the feel of a 1-piece, but if they r less durable im gonna have to go with the standard cuz wooden sticks seem more popular than composites with the crowd i play with, so im gonna need it to hold up against those clunky woodies.

Tapered shafts aren't any less durable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hubby1746 (Post 18623103)
how would a composite shaft hold up outside during the winter months? i play at an outdoor rink and it can get pretty cold, mostly between 10-30 degrees, would that make the shaft less durable?

They should hold up just fine. If anything, wood sticks are more prone to drying out and becoming more brittle in the cold.