HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Question about a hooking penalty (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=618651)

NYRangerfn09 03-12-2009 11:32 AM

Question about a hooking penalty

I just had a pick up game last night where some of the people on the other team were 'refs' in some other league somewhere. One of them was complaining to me about a hooking penalty but I do not believe it was hooking. I was hoping someone else that knew the rule book could help me out.

Basically we were going into the corner I came under his stick and lifted but he got it back down so I hooked his stick right at the blade with my blade for a few seconds. I know I said hooked but it was just the bottom of his stick. My stick was not parallel to the ice, and not anywhere on his body. I was not even really behind him. Thanks for any help.

Gunnar Stahl 30 03-12-2009 11:35 AM

i think i know what you are saying. if you are saying you pulled his stick back with your blade near his blade so he couldnt get the puck im pretty sure thats not a penalty.

McNasty 03-12-2009 12:29 PM

Technically it probably could have been called, but most refs usually let you get away with it as long as your blade is under his and not over. Kinda similar to holding in football, it could get called on just about every play, but unless you hook him to the point where he stumbles I doubt you'll get called

Stripes 03-12-2009 09:13 PM

If you're battling for the puck, stick on stick is 100% legal as long as it isn't a slash hard enough to break your opponent's stick.

If you hook an opponent's stick away from the puck, you should expect to sit a couple minutes.

Gunnar Stahl 30 03-12-2009 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stripes (Post 18501727)
If you're battling for the puck, stick on stick is 100% legal as long as it isn't a slash hard enough to break your opponent's stick.

If you hook an opponent's stick away from the puck, you should expect to sit a couple minutes.

wait so which is it? is it legal or illegal?

adaminnj 03-12-2009 10:08 PM

it was a pick up game, in the corner and battling on the boards and some butt-wipe clamming to be an official telling you that you should go sit LOL.

I hope you took the puck and buried it in the back of the net.

You should see the place I play shinny. what you did was nothing if it was a foul at all.
I just say "O. K." then skate off unless I know I did something bad. Then it's usually because I have no control oops! Not beacuse I'm over competitive.

Stripes 03-13-2009 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 (Post 18502514)
wait so which is it? is it legal or illegal?

Not that hard to understand. If it's on the puck carrier, it's legal. If it's not on the puck carrier, it's illegal.

Hobgoblin Steve 03-13-2009 12:50 AM

As much as I try and figure out what you did wrong, I cant figure out what you did wrong. Stick on stick isnt a penalty in any league unless its a blatant slash.

BadHammy* 03-13-2009 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRangerfn09 (Post 18488699)
I just had a pick up game last night where some of the people on the other team were 'refs' in some other league somewhere. One of them was complaining to me about a hooking penalty but I do not believe it was hooking. I was hoping someone else that knew the rule book could help me out.

Basically we were going into the corner I came under his stick and lifted but he got it back down so I hooked his stick right at the blade with my blade for a few seconds. I know I said hooked but it was just the bottom of his stick. My stick was not parallel to the ice, and not anywhere on his body. I was not even really behind him. Thanks for any help.

I got into an argument about this the other day and spent a half hour scanning the newest USA Hockey Rulebook. It contains nothing about any penalty for a stick being parallel to the ice, nothing even close is listed. I just checked the NHL rulebook too, and NO SUCH PENALTY EXISTS. It's an URBAN LEGEND!

beardedgraf 03-13-2009 02:16 AM

If your'e guilty of hooking, your stick is probably always going to be parallel to the ice, or close to it. It's not a penalty to have your stick parallel to the ice, unless one end is on the body of an opposing player. I think people say that to give an idea of the position of the stick during a legitimate hook.

And as far as I know, unless you break the other player's stick with a slash or cross check, then lifting and holding the other player's stick down, using only your own stick, no such penalty exsists for stick on stick puck battles.

LTNINGFan 03-13-2009 02:29 AM

It shouldn't be a penalty.

Sam 03-14-2009 06:06 PM

Technically under USA Hockey rules, hooking the stick could be called a penalty, but it's not usually called.
Quote:

Originally Posted by USA Hockey Casebook
Situation 1
A player hooks the stick of another player causing him to lose possession of the puck. Is this a legal action?
No. Rule Reference 619(a).
Although a stick lift is an accepted checking technique, hooking the stick is not.

GuitarAwesome 03-16-2009 08:37 AM

The technical rule regarding hooking is simple, if you hold the player up in any way whatsoever, using your stick without and attempt to hit the puck, hooking can be called. By grabbing his blade, even for a second, if that causes him to veer offstride, or lose the puck, it's hooking. It is a really weak call to make, but it just means you have tightass refs, it happens sometimes.