HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Respect for Ryder (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=61928)

loudi94 03-14-2004 11:35 AM

Respect for Ryder

I've watched just about every game this season and with the exception of maybe one or two instances, Michael Ryder never gets into pushing and shoving after the whistle. No one ever retaliates angrily from one of his hits and he just brushes it off when he takes a hit. I may be way off on this but I find it strange for a rookie who crashes and bangs to be treated this way. Must be the babyface. :dunno:

tritone 03-14-2004 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loudi94
I've watched just about every game this season and with the exception of maybe one or two instances, Michael Ryder never gets into pushing and shoving after the whistle. No one ever retaliates angrily from one of his hits and he just brushes it off when he takes a hit. I may be way off on this but I find it strange for a rookie who crashes and bangs to be treated this way. Must be the babyface. :dunno:

Yeah , I noticed that too. Kudos to Ryder for gaining and maintaining respect.

jonny5 03-14-2004 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loudi94

You are right about Ryder. He will play his game with hits, either give one or take one.The fact that nobody comes back at him, probably because most of his hits are good and solid, not in any dirty way. Even though he is a rookie, he is very mature about the game. Gaining respect in the NHL, most definitely!!!

Orange 03-14-2004 12:01 PM

Ryder plays a good clean game. There is no reason for him not to have respect.

CrAzYNiNe 03-14-2004 12:01 PM

Maybe when the other teams learned about him cause of his success, then realized that he work damn hard to get where he is and never took anything for granted. I think he is the type of player every team wants, and he has some great talent, so it's that much more.

Kerberos* 03-14-2004 12:02 PM

While were on the topic guys, what player would you compare Ryder to?

Quagmier 03-14-2004 12:02 PM

Retribution in the NHL goes beyond getting someone back for being dirty

Show respect... earn respect plain and simple

CrAzYNiNe 03-14-2004 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerberos

Ryder is one of a kind really. Hard worker with skill and like I said in a previous post, never takes things for granted. Can't really find anyone like him in recent hockey history.

Orange 03-14-2004 12:04 PM

Quote:

Not sure if it's a good comparison, but Drury comes to mind, even if the later is not a RW ...

Habsolution 03-14-2004 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange
Not sure if it's a good comparison, but Drury comes to mind, even if the later is not a RW ...

Really ? I just don't see it.

As for a good comparison. I really have no clue. He's one of a kind. People have compared him to Tim Kerr but I've never seen him play so I wouldn't know.

Orange 03-14-2004 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsolution

Well, I'm having a hard time finding a player that emulates Ryder's game (and I'm not alone !), but on some level, I do feel they have a similar game. But it's far from my best comparision. Their shots and playmaking are too different ...

Other players that came to mind are Derek King and Steve Thomas from the NYI in the early 90s ... Still, I can't find one player that realy decribes Ryder's game well ...

loudi94 03-14-2004 12:30 PM

Quote:

As for a good comparison. I really have no clue. He's one of a kind. People have compared him to Tim Kerr but I've never seen him play so I wouldn't know.

Tim Kerr would be good. Lots of goals. I think Ryder's a better passer though.

Munchausen 03-14-2004 12:33 PM

Quote:

That's a $100 question for sure. I have no idea who he compares to. A more gritty Luc Robitaille? (style of play, not skills). Nah not even close.

Ryder is such a neat but ackward package of flaws and skills. He's average skating wise and only decent speed wise, plus he's not the biggest, but somewhat he seems to negate those things by having great offensive instincts, an examplary determination on the ice and an oh so cool, never panics type of character.

Great stick moves in the crease and an ultra quick release are his bread and butter but he also has a very underrated vision and therefore passing skills. That's what made me think of a young Robitaille but I don't think there's a player in this league that really plays a similar game to Ryder. He's a unique package, let's leave it at that.

Beatnik 03-14-2004 12:36 PM

Quote:

I don't like Kerr (tall and more dominant) nor Dryry as comparaison

It's hard to compare Ryder because he have no distinct quality nor special weakness. I'd say D.Krishtich or Benoit Hogue

#44_delivers 03-14-2004 12:40 PM

Quote:

he looks and plays alote like kevin stevens in the early 90's

Habs4Life 03-14-2004 01:57 PM

We will see how much love ryder really has for the game when he becomes a free agent.

We will see if he's greedy or if he just wants to play for the love of the game, my guess is that he will probably take a paycut to play with the canadien's.

romain_jaime 03-14-2004 02:56 PM

Rick Tocchet

loudi94 03-14-2004 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs4Life
We will see how much love ryder really has for the game when he becomes a free agent.

We will see if he's greedy or if he just wants to play for the love of the game, my guess is that he will probably take a paycut to play with the canadien's.

After the lockout nobody knows what things will look like when it comes to negotiating new contracts.

Habsaku 03-14-2004 03:20 PM

I like to think he's gonna become our Adam Deadmarsh, they are both skilled and heart and sould types of players, their styles are similar but Deadmarsh has more edge(faster, more crash and bang). Its like asking who does Koivu compare too? I dont think there are any players in the league with Ryders style.

Team_Spirit 03-14-2004 03:34 PM

Quote:

Gary Roberts

EaGLE1 03-14-2004 04:44 PM

Deadmarsh, good comparison

s7ark 03-15-2004 02:32 AM

Quote:

That's a pretty fair assessment, actually. Maybe slightly more talented than Kerr, but perhaps Ryder's hard work is getting him just as many points as his talent. A class act I hope sticks around for a few years!

CHareth 03-15-2004 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s7ark
That's a pretty fair assessment, actually. Maybe slightly more talented than Kerr, but perhaps Ryder's hard work is getting him just as many points as his talent. A class act I hope sticks around for a few years!

More talented than Kerr?? I don't know about that, but good lord, I hope so!! 4 or 5 time 50-goal seasons takes a fair bit of talent, IMO. Go MiKERR Ryder!!! :handclap: