HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Draft Day Trades to come... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=62000)

not quite yoda 03-14-2004 04:40 PM

Draft Day Trades to come...

I was wondering. Every year a couple of teams are willing to move their 1st round pick on draft day. Sometimes it's just tomove down or up a few spots. Other times, teams trade their hopes for established veterans or good young players ready for NHL duty.

Examples:

-NYI's 2nd overall pick (2001) and stuff FOR Yashin and stuff.
-TB's 4th overall pick (202) FOR Fedotenko and 2x 2nd round pick.

I was just curious what teams you guys think might be interested in moving their 1st rounder at the 2004 Draft. I realize itt is less likely this year because of the impending work-stoppage. Nevertheless...

Atlanta for one have been dangling their first rounders for years now (since Kovalchuck went in 2001). I am thinking that this year they might trade for a serious playoff push. Waddell needs to make the playoffs soon for the life of his job. I find that CBJ may be open to offers as long as they don't have one of the 2 top spots.

What other teams do you guys think may move?

Spezza 03-14-2004 04:42 PM

With all the picks the Rags have stockpilled, I wonder if they'll try and move up in an effort to get Ovechkin.

Big McLargehuge 03-14-2004 04:45 PM

This much I can guarantee...whoever lands with the first pick in the draft ain't budging unless there's a Lindros to Philly type trade on the table.

not quite yoda 03-14-2004 04:55 PM

Yeah. Pgh or whoever gets Ovechkin is not looking to move him.

But that's not the point of this thread. Who do you think will move their pick FOR ESTABLISHED PLAYERS WHO CAN HELP RIGHT AWAY!?

Spezza 03-14-2004 04:57 PM

Rags have the following in '04:
1st Round (NYR)
1st Round (Toronto)
2nd Round (Montreal)
2nd Round (Edmonton)
2nd Round (Colorado from Florida)
2nd Round (NYR)

and in '05:
2nd Round (Toronto)
2nd Round (Philladeplhia)

If Ovechkin was to do a Lindross and say he didn't want to play for example Pittsburgh then NYR could offer a proposal like this:

1st NYR, 1st Toronto, 2nd NYR and say that 2nd from Florida.

Gumby 03-14-2004 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spezza
With all the picks the Rags have stockpilled, I wonder if they'll try and move up in an effort to get Ovechkin.

Same goes for the Caps......if they don't get it outright. They've got 3 first's (Detroit, Boston) and 2 seconds.

Gumby 03-14-2004 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by espion
Yeah. Pgh or whoever gets Ovechkin is not looking to move him.

But that's not the point of this thread. Who do you think will move their pick FOR ESTABLISHED PLAYERS WHO CAN HELP RIGHT AWAY!?

Milbury is always a prime canidate to do something....with him who the hell knows what....maybe he'll move his best prospect and a pick for a kid who plays the same position (ala Luongo to draft Dipietro....which to this day makes me scratch my head and laugh).

Newfie Bruin 03-14-2004 05:10 PM

Quote:

I was wondering. Every year a couple of teams are willing to move their 1st round pick on draft day. Sometimes it's just tomove down or up a few spots. Other times, teams trade their hopes for established veterans or good young players ready for NHL duty.

Examples:

I was just curious what teams you guys think might be interested in moving their 1st rounder at the 2004 Draft. I realize itt is less likely this year because of the impending work-stoppage. Nevertheless...

Atlanta for one have been dangling their first rounders for years now (since Kovalchuck went in 2001). I am thinking that this year they might trade for a serious playoff push. Waddell needs to make the playoffs soon for the life of his job. I find that CBJ may be open to offers as long as they don't have one of the 2 top spots.

That stuff that went to Ott was Zdeno Chara-a bif part of the Sens.

I hope the Bruins find a way into the 1st round.

Michalek 03-14-2004 06:38 PM

I bet that D Sutter will try to bring one more C to CGY
Both Conroy and Mcammond are UFAs. I believe that Dean will stay , but in my opinion Conroy is as good as gone...
We have good depth on LW and D so I can see Sutter trying to move Saprykin and /or Gauthier , maybe Lydman for solid center.

Plager05 03-14-2004 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGreekIsles
Yeah cause Dipietro has looked so horrible meanwhile Luongo is leading his team to their third straight playoff appearance, be original, don't go regurgitating every anti-Milbury spew...BTW Dipietro is three years younger and I today would take him over Luongo....

To New York Islanders
D Chris Pronger

To St. Louis Blues
D Janne Niinamma
F Micheal Peca

Pleau would laugh in Milbury's face.

SensGod 03-14-2004 07:18 PM

Ovechin isn't anywhere near as good as Lindros was back then...so don't hold your breath for a franchise making trade like the Nordiques got...

jas 03-14-2004 07:32 PM

Would the Thrashers be willing...

Quote:

Examples:

their #1 to NY for Tom Poti and a #2? Atlanta could use a puck-moving d-man. Put Poti with a solid stay-at-home type, and his defeiciencies probably don't look so bad. Meanwhile, with the acquisitions of Rachunek and Kondratiev, the develoment of Tyutin and Lampman, and the return of Kasparitis, plus the possible re-signing of Mironov would allow the rangers to make Poti available. He has one year left on his contract @ about $3.2 million. The Rangers could then get another top ten pick to go with their current top pick. Maybe, the Rangers would then come away with something like an Olesz and a Ladd or Schremp.

thestonedkoala 03-14-2004 07:34 PM

Fernandez could be moved along with a couple 4th rounders...Hopefully...FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! JUST TAKE FERNANDEZ AND GIVE SOMEONE BACK!

Big Bill 03-14-2004 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SensGod
Ovechin isn't anywhere near as good as Lindros was back then...so don't hold your breath for a franchise making trade like the Nordiques got...

I agree. The hype surronding lindros was ENORMOUS. And he had the skills to match. I think the team that gets #1 overall keeps it anyways, but I do not think it would take Forsberg +++++ to get it

Drake1588 03-14-2004 08:15 PM

Teams won't be trading their 1st rounders this year, by and large. The Caps might dangle some later picks for a higher first, but they will likely be keeping their own first rounder. They have no intention of acquiring established roster players, both older and carrying salary, in lieu of a young prospect who may be a star in waiting.

The only occurrence I could foresee is the Caps landing the first overall pikck in the lottery, and trading down to draft, say, Cam Barker, in exchange for perhaps Pittsburgh's pick and something extra. By and large, though, teams with top-five picks are going to keep them.

SensGod 03-14-2004 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Bill
I agree. The hype surronding lindros was ENORMOUS. And he had the skills to match. I think the team that gets #1 overall keeps it anyways, but I do not think it would take Forsberg +++++ to get it

Yup...but you have to keep in mind that at that time...no one in Quebec City even knew who Forsberg was. The biggest piece of that trade was the money...after that it was Hextall, Ricci and Duschene.

ulf 03-14-2004 08:24 PM

Quote:

Yup...but you have to keep in mind that at that time...no one in Quebec City even knew who Forsberg was. The biggest piece of that trade was the money...after that it was Hextall, Ricci and Duschene.

actually monery was the afterthought,both the ny and phillie deals had been agreed to as far as players were concerned but the quebec gm played the $ card on the last day,quite sucessfully it would seem.

craig1 03-14-2004 08:37 PM

Quote:

Umm....wasn't Forsberg a top pick that year too....4 or 5 overal. Mike Ricci was the 4th overall pick from the year before. And Chris Simon, Steve D, Hextall, etc, cash, and draft picks. Philly gave up a kings ransom for Lindros, and it would probably take the same tye of deal in 2004.

If Pittsburgh or Washington gets it though...especially Pittsburgh, it won't be moved. The prospect depth is way too deep, and they are going to have trouble giving roster spots in the next year or so to all those who deserve them. They'll keep the pick and take Ovechkin or Malkin at 2.

oilers24 03-14-2004 09:26 PM

The Rangers will owe the Oilers a 2nd rd pick as compensation for ufa rights of Brian Leetch

Seachd 03-14-2004 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilers24
The Rangers will owe the Oilers a 2nd rd pick as compensation for ufa rights of Brian Leetch

No, that comes from the league, not the Rangers.

Big McLargehuge 03-14-2004 10:16 PM

Quote:

Never said he was, just saying that he won't be moved unless the trade is ridiculous.

Lobstertainment 03-14-2004 11:08 PM

I hope the Rangers get Ovechikn myself Personally.

what they do with him then is up to them if they decide to put him on the trade block or develop him into their Future Superstar is up to them, just looking at the bottom 6 right now I'd like to see the Rangers nab him, they could use a future all-star on the team.

Big McLargehuge 03-14-2004 11:14 PM

and the Pens, Hawks, Jackets, and Caps couldn't?

Classic Devil 03-14-2004 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful
and the Pens, Hawks, Jackets, and Caps couldn't?

They all already HAVE future all-stars. The Rangers could use someone like Ovechkin to revive the NY hockey market. If there's no hockey for the next few years, it might be the only thing that can, and NY is a vital market. I'm not rooting for them to win, but if they do I won't complain about it.

cws 03-14-2004 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jas
their #1 to NY for Tom Poti and a #2? Atlanta could use a puck-moving d-man. Put Poti with a solid stay-at-home type, and his defeiciencies probably don't look so bad. Meanwhile, with the acquisitions of Rachunek and Kondratiev, the develoment of Tyutin and Lampman, and the return of Kasparitis, plus the possible re-signing of Mironov would allow the rangers to make Poti available. He has one year left on his contract @ about $3.2 million. The Rangers could then get another top ten pick to go with their current top pick. Maybe, the Rangers would then come away with something like an Olesz and a Ladd or Schremp.

Too early to say. As always it depends on which position Atlanta would be drafting in. And any daily development in the CBA talks would affect their decision as well.
But I would very much doubt they'd give that up for Poti, under almost any scenario.

There's likely to be a boatload of free agents, not just UFA but restricted ones not qualified for these financial concerns. Atlanta will have money available even if there is a cap. No need to trade that pick, at least not for Poti. Especially if they are in position to get someone like Barker, that pick would garner a whole lot more than a defenseman who has a tough time actually playing defense.

But I'm not the GM, I know jack and squat about what picks could get what players, and so on and so forth. Kinda why I got a chuckle out of the thread about rating your GM. Like we have any clue what information and resources they have, and what issues outside our knowledge they have to deal with regarding player movement. Even looking in hindsight, a lot of us can't properly rate a past deal. We just don't have the in-depth info on players, much less the years of experience in the business.

I'm ranting, sorry. Had to let it out.