HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Need help picking a composite shaft (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=620286)

Barnak 03-17-2009 11:02 AM

Need help picking a composite shaft
 
Iím looking to buy a composite shaft but itís a little overwhelming. I break all my one-piece sticks around the heel, so I figure switching to the composite shaft/blade combo might save me money in the long run.

I need a shaft that is of decent quality, light and very durable that uses standard blades. My shot sucks, so Iím looking for something that will benefit stickhandling and will stand up to punishment (face-offs and such). Iím hesitating between these four:

-Warrior AK27 Grip
-Warrior Johnson Grip
-Easton S15 Grip
-Easton Synergy ST Grip

Does anyone have any comments or recommendations on these or other shafts?

Gunnar Stahl 30 03-17-2009 11:13 AM

the warrior ak27 is a very very light shaft. i have it and its my favorite stick. i cant comment on teh eastons. i have the s15 blade and its really nice.

the johnson is heavy. if you are looking for a light stick, out of those, i would pick the ak27. it has been very durable for me and its very light

like i said, i cant really comment too much on the eastons

190Octane 03-17-2009 11:15 AM

The only one I have experience with is the Johnson and I snapped mine after two games.The bottom where the blade goes in split and the shaft split about 4-6 inches up from where the blade cracked.

Catastrophic fail.

Barnak 03-17-2009 11:29 AM

I guess the Johnson is out. Too bad, it looks kind of cool. Thanks for the feedback on the ak27!

190Octane 03-17-2009 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barnak (Post 18570084)
I guess the Johnson is out. Too bad, it looks kind of cool. Thanks for the feedback on the ak27!

I did like its' feel before it blew up and it is within warranty but I just got two 110 flex z-bubbles so I think I'm going to sell the replacement shaft on ebay when I get it.

Barnak 03-17-2009 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 190Octane (Post 18570174)
I did like its' feel before it blew up and it is within warranty but I just got two 110 flex z-bubbles so I think I'm going to sell the replacement shaft on ebay when I get it.

Maybe it was a dud, but with my luck with sticks, I wont risk it.

Have you tried your z-bubbles yet?

190Octane 03-17-2009 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barnak (Post 18570262)
Maybe it was a dud, but with my luck with sticks, I wont risk it.

Have you tried your z-bubbles yet?

Two games, four goals.

I had been using sticks with a lighter flex lately (85-95) and had problems keeping the puck down. I hadn't used a 110 flex regularly in 10 years or so but my shots have been bullets with it now and right underneath the cross bar.

My suggestion to you would be to get an ultra lite or a z-bubble with a focus flex, you'll save some money and they're just as good and durable as these new shafts. If you look on ebay you can normally find good deals on these. Also, Cyclone Taylor has an ultra lite for 69.99 canadian as well.

http://www.cyclonetaylor.com/players...tralitesr.html

190Octane 03-17-2009 11:57 AM

FYI, the S15 shaft is basically a z-bubble, if you are interested in the S15, you might as well look for the z-bubble and save yourself some money.

Barnak 03-17-2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 190Octane (Post 18570364)
Two games, four goals.

I had been using sticks with a lighter flex lately (85-95) and had problems keeping the puck down. I hadn't used a 110 flex regularly in 10 years or so but my shots have been bullets with it now and right underneath the cross bar.

My suggestion to you would be to get an ultra lite or a z-bubble with a focus flex, you'll save some money and they're just as good and durable as these new shafts. If you look on ebay you can normally find good deals on these. Also, Cyclone Taylor has an ultra lite for 69.99 canadian as well.

http://www.cyclonetaylor.com/players...tralitesr.html

Woah, great price! I use a one-piece Synergy ST right now and I love it, so I'm partial to Easton. I might have to order one of these.

Thanks, this is really helpful!

190Octane 03-17-2009 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barnak (Post 18571253)
Woah, great price! I use a one-piece Synergy ST right now and I love it, so I'm partial to Easton. I might have to order one of these.

Thanks, this is really helpful!

From what I understand the ST is just the ultra lite repainted.

Patrick96 03-17-2009 01:30 PM

AK27 is the best.

190Octane 03-17-2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick96 (Post 18571707)
AK27 is the best.

I've had horrible luck with Inno/Warrior

The first one I got when I was 14 or 15 and it was the first shaft I broke and I broke it up by my top hand.

I broke two polar fibre Inno 3000's.

I bought an Inno 1100 and first or second game I used it in, I put my stick out to block a slap shot and it cracked the shaft at the kick point.

Broke a Warrior pro stock dolomite and broke it on a faceoff after using it maybe 4 or 5 times.

Then the Johnson I was talking about in this thread broke after 2 games. Easton sticks have lasted me a long time, Bauer's have been okay and Missions have been okay but Innos I seem to snap like crazy.

Gunnar Stahl 30 03-17-2009 03:17 PM

z bubbles are always great. very light, pretty durable. i have 3. two with s15 focus flex blades, sakic curve and one is just the shaft. i use them and my warrior ak27

Johnny Law 03-17-2009 04:13 PM

Synergy Elite is really good if you access to tapered blades where ever you buy gear.

Very light, durable and even helped me have a better shot.

RaoulDuke2k 03-18-2009 01:30 PM

I have a pro-stock Dolomite painted like an AK, and it's a great shaft. I think the lower kick on the tapered shaft makes shooting a bit easier - something to consider

87vert 03-18-2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 (Post 18569894)
the warrior ak27 is a very very light shaft. i have it and its my favorite stick.


was going to leave the same comment about my ak 27

Ajax02 03-18-2009 04:55 PM

any opinions on the One95 shaft?

evgeni71 03-18-2009 08:59 PM

I'm also shopping for a new shaft. My old shaft-blade combo, Easton E-Flex (equivalent of Easton Octane) is starting to crack around the bottom where the blade is. I've had the stick for almost 2 years now, so it's been well worth its investment.

My budget for a new shaft is around $80-100 Canadian, and I've had my eye on an AK27 for a while now. However, it's a bit above my budget, and I'm also considering the Warrior Johnson and RBK 7K shafts, which are 89.99 and 99.99 respectively. Does anyone have any experience with these sticks?

And finally, is the AK27 worth the extra $20? The Dolomite shaft is the same price. Thanks for the help.

Gunnar Stahl 30 03-18-2009 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triguy (Post 18598534)
I'm also shopping for a new shaft. My old shaft-blade combo, Easton E-Flex (equivalent of Easton Octane) is starting to crack around the bottom where the blade is. I've had the stick for almost 2 years now, so it's been well worth its investment.

My budget for a new shaft is around $80-100 Canadian, and I've had my eye on an AK27 for a while now. However, it's a bit above my budget, and I'm also considering the Warrior Johnson and RBK 7K shafts, which are 89.99 and 99.99 respectively. Does anyone have any experience with these sticks?

And finally, is the AK27 worth the extra $20? The Dolomite shaft is the same price. Thanks for the help.

i have a rbk 7k one piece, its very very light. probably the lightest stick ive used. that being said, i didnt like it too much. it was a bit stiff for my preference. i also have a dolomite one piece which is awesome and an ak27 which is my favorite

the dolomite is tapered so i dont know if you want to go that route or not, the ak is standard as is i believe the 7k

like i said before, the johnson is very heavy. i havent used one but another poster said it broke on him pretty quickly.

out of the 7k, dolomite and ak27, i prefer the ak27 most. mine is about a 90 flex. the dolomite is an 85 and the 7k is probably about 110.

the ak27 is one of the lightest shafts out there. the dolomite is a bit heavier but is also tapered

stick9 03-18-2009 09:57 PM

I'd probably go with the AK27 myself. I've had very good luck with Innovative 1100 shafts and Warrior OPS's I've used. Durability has always been a strong point, at least in my experience.

evgeni71 03-19-2009 01:10 AM

Also, Cyclone Taylor has 2006 Ultra Lites going for 69.99, I think this is an offer I can't refuse, given that the people at modsquad have praised it as being one of the best standard shafts out there.

EastonUser 03-24-2009 02:34 PM

I have a question, completely off topic but i don't know how to start a new thread. I'm thinking of buying either a SE16, or an S17. Any ideas which one is better?

evgeni71 03-24-2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastonUser (Post 18688131)
I have a question, completely off topic but i don't know how to start a new thread. I'm thinking of buying either a SE16, or an S17. Any ideas which one is better?

Those are both OPS, but okay.

I haven't heard much about the SE16, but the S17 is supposed to break much to easily.

If you were looking for shafts, I think the S15 is Easton top end shaft.

Mountain Dew 03-24-2009 04:55 PM

All the shafts you listed are standard shafts so the flex point will be higher up. The S15/Z-Bubble is a tapered shaft that flares out at the bottom to accept standard blades. In this sense it will play more like a tapered shaft than any of the others.

cptjeff 03-24-2009 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triguy (Post 18688262)
Those are both OPS, but okay.

I haven't heard much about the SE16, but the S17 is supposed to break much to easily.

If you were looking for shafts, I think the S15 is Easton top end shaft.

The S15 is the top end standard blade, but the top end Easton shaft is the Synergy Elite. I use it's predecessor, the Synergy II, and it's great.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.