HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Ryan O'Byrne (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=62059)

montreal 03-14-2004 09:02 PM

Ryan O'Byrne
 
Finally gets on the scoresheet with 2 assists last night, but sadly his team lost in a very big upset as they lost their 3 game playoff series. O'Byrne played in 30 games this year with 2 pts and 71 pims the most on the team. He had one point less then fellow freshmen Glover (nj) on the low scoring Cornell team who was expected to go far this year as the #2 seed in the ECAC.


Ryan Glenn's team also lost their 3 game series, so Glenn is finished in the NCAA but he had a very strong finish to the end of the season. Hopefully Gainey gives him a shot next year in Hamilton or the ECHL.

Scott Selig is the only remaining prospect in the NCAA playoffs, but he's currently out with an injury and has yet to record a point is what has to be a very disappointing season for him in his final year.

penopekoo 03-14-2004 10:24 PM

In (American) college hockey, they don't include secondary assists as points, right? Or am I just imagining things?

ttnorm 03-14-2004 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penopekoo
In (American) college hockey, they don't include secondary assists as points, right? Or am I just imagining things?

Your imagining. ;)

KILLger 03-15-2004 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal
Ryan Glenn's team also lost their 3 game series, so Glenn is finished in the NCAA but he had a very strong finish to the end of the season. Hopefully Gainey gives him a shot next year in Hamilton or the ECHL.

2 questions...

Could Glenn be signed to play the remainder of the AHL season?

Should Glenn be signed to play the remainder of the AHL season?

montreal 03-15-2004 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLger
2 questions...

Could Glenn be signed to play the remainder of the AHL season?

Should Glenn be signed to play the remainder of the AHL season?


Yes

No, I'd personally rather see Shasby in Hamilton, plus with Vydareny just added I don't think they would add either Shasby or Glenn.

I hope to see Glenn follow in the same steps as Shasby, get signed at the end of summer, spend a year in the ECHL (unless we need him in Hamilton, since 4 D in Hamilton aren't under contract for next year)

NWT Habs Fan 03-15-2004 09:55 AM

That year in the ECHL appears to have been very good for Shasby. After a really solid junior year, his senior year was not all that impressive. He appears to have rebounded and found his game again. It likely helps playing a lot more hockey and playing with much more experienced guys than he had on that pretty bad UAA team. His transition to Hamilton for next season should be a fairly smooth one.

modrah 03-15-2004 03:11 PM

what i m interested in knowing is, whats his plus minus like, thats the most important to me...if u can let me know, it will be greatly appreciated, thank u..

montreal 03-15-2004 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modrah
what i m interested in knowing is, whats his plus minus like, thats the most important to me...if u can let me know, it will be greatly appreciated, thank u..



No Cornell's site doesn't keep track of +/- Cornell is a team that plays a tight checking game and most of their games are low scoring. Lots of 2-1, 1-0 type games.

Marchy79 03-15-2004 09:49 PM

Seeing that O'Byrne is a right handed shot, I see him toiling in Cornell for one more season before making the jump for a contract in 2 years IMO... Personally I am not too fond of having O'Byrne in a tight defensive system just yet, as his Offensive game is getting very limited chances to show... I would like to see him signed this summer to be brutally honest, but I just don't see it happening. :(

IMO he's a mildly important prospect because of the limited depth we have on the right side of defence...

After
Breezy, Rivet, Quintal, and Komisarek... we have only 3 prospects who have a right shot on the point.

Andrew Archer is one, he's toiling in Hamilton... But IMO he seems to need a few years of development in the A... after posting the worst +/- on the team in only 29 games. (-10)...

The third prospect is a bright one, Konstantin Korneev... He should be signed FOR SURE this summer IMHO... I've heard the comparisons to Andrei Markov, and though he is a tad undersized... to me it's more reason to bring him over now to see if he can do his trade in NA...

Rectificator 03-15-2004 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost # 1
Seeing that O'Byrne is a right handed shot, I see him toiling in Cornell for one more season before making the jump for a contract in 2 years IMO... Personally I am not too fond of having O'Byrne in a tight defensive system just yet, as his Offensive game is getting very limited chances to show... I would like to see him signed this summer to be brutally honest, but I just don't see it happening. :(

IMO he's a mildly important prospect because of the limited depth we have on the right side of defence...

After
Breezy, Rivet, Quintal, and Komisarek... we have only 3 prospects who have a right shot on the point.

Andrew Archer is one, he's toiling in Hamilton... But IMO he seems to need a few years of development in the A... after posting the worst +/- on the team in only 29 games. (-10)...

The third prospect is a bright one, Konstantin Korneev... He should be signed FOR SURE this summer IMHO... I've heard the comparisons to Andrei Markov, and though he is a tad undersized... to me it's more reason to bring him over now to see if he can do his trade in NA...

Korneev is only 20 years old, I would let him develop some more years in the russian super league...

Both Brisebois and Rivet are UFA in 2 years away, the solution could be to resign one of them and play Beauchemin on the right side even if he shoot left... Beauchemin got used to play on both side with the Bulldogs!

The pairing could look something like that:

Markov Komisarek

Souray Beauchemin

Bouillon Brisebois

db23 03-16-2004 01:05 AM

I think that Korneev is much more likely to be the answer than O'Byrne. They are the same age and Korneev is playing for the Russian national team while O'Byrne is just able to make it in the NCAA by the sound of it. Huge difference in level of competition.

chicpea* 03-16-2004 01:46 AM

I've been mildly impressed with the rare glimpses I've seen of Korneev (and I mean rare) but I think he should stay in the RSL for at least 2 more years. D always take longer and if he's got the talent there is no need to hurry.

montreal 03-16-2004 03:07 PM

My thoughts from several posts,


O'Byrne will not be signed this summer and shouldn't be. He's still very raw. I'll wait to see what he does in Cornell next year but to me he still has a lot of things to work on. But his has a very nice base of skills and I am very impressed with what he COULD become in several years. As of this year, I'd say he stays in the NCAA 3 or 4 years, but that could easily change next season as he is older then your normal freshman. This is only my opinion based on 3 games I've seen and a few I've listened to on the radio. I could easily be wrong. As for his offense, Cornell plays a right wing lock system, so he is encouraged to jump into the play and he does, just hasn't gotten any goals which is a minor concern cause he hits everything and skates well. I would say that he needs another year at Cornell before we can really say what his upside is cause he may have had some difficulty adjusting to the NCAA div 1 after playing in the BCJHL. When I spoke with his coach and assistant coach, this was brought up by the defensmen coach but said that he's progressing well after a somewhat tough start.

Korneev is a guy that may never see the NHL. He has the skills to play in the RSL (which he isn't playing much as he's on the 4th pairing, the only team I can remember that uses 8 defensemen every game) My main concern with Korneev is his lack of strength and size. He's very small and while a solid stick checker (like Markov) and I've seen him though a few big hits in the wjc's, I don't think his style will be effective against NHLers unless he gets bigger and stronger, which being 19 (he turns 20 in June) means he still has several years to get stronger. I think that he has a high ceiling still, but there's also major concerns about him.

As for Korneev and O'Byrne, you have 2 guys around the same age, both skate well, one is 6'5 the other 5'10/5'11 right there you have a big difference, but your right in saying that Korneev has played for the Senior National Team and that's impressive for the young man, even though he played little (I have one of the games on tape) I do hope Korneev is signed this summer, if not he'll get another year in Russia but his playing time may not increase cause AK Bars has a lot of good defensemen.

As for Beauchemin I'd like to see him get a shot next year at some point. He should get a look as he's been our top defensemen in the AHL for the last 2 years. I'd rotate him and Bouillon and see who does better, but that's just me.

Archer is hard to figure out, as he's looked good in the games I've seen but he gets little playing time some nights. Next year will hopefully go much better for him as he adapts to the AHL and hopefully is healthy when camp starts cause that can have a big effect on some players. I still have high hopes for him at least being an effective AHLer next year and who knows from there.

db23 03-16-2004 05:44 PM

Korneev is as big or bigger than defencemen like Robidas, Bouillon, Brett Clark, John-Michael Liles, etc. He will be 6-0 tall and close to 200 pounds when he fills out. He is playing against mature players and doing pretty well. He was more impressive than Denis Grebeshkov in the RSL a year ago, and Grebeshkov has already played a few games in the NHL. Grebeshkov is a year older, but there is only an inch or two difference in their height and about 10 pounds in weight.

montreal 03-16-2004 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db23
Korneev is as big or bigger than defencemen like Robidas, Bouillon, Brett Clark, John-Michael Liles, etc. He will be 6-0 tall and close to 200 pounds when he fills out. He is playing against mature players and doing pretty well. He was more impressive than Denis Grebeshkov in the RSL a year ago, and Grebeshkov has already played a few games in the NHL. Grebeshkov is a year older, but there is only an inch or two difference in their height and about 10 pounds in weight.



No he's not. Bouillon has 25 lbs on him and plays physical. How many times have you seen Korneev in the RSL? Althought he is around Robidas size. As for Grebeshkov I never saw him in the RSL so I can't say how he compares to him

db23 03-17-2004 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal
No he's not. Bouillon has 25 lbs on him and plays physical. How many times have you seen Korneev in the RSL? Althought he is around Robidas size. As for Grebeshkov I never saw him in the RSL so I can't say how he compares to him

Bouillon is listed as 195 pounds and he is 28 years old. Korneev was listed at 184 and he is not yet 20. You don't think he will gain more than 10 pounds over the next 10 years? I have no idea where you get the 25 pounds from, but I am willing to bet that when they were the same age, Korneev was about 4 inches taller and a good 10 pounds heavier than Bouillon. Bouillon looks like he could be juiced, and I doubt that Korneev would do that, but still Korneev will be at least as big.

montreal 03-17-2004 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db23
Bouillon is listed as 195 pounds and he is 28 years old. Korneev was listed at 184 and he is not yet 20. You don't think he will gain more than 10 pounds over the next 10 years? I have no idea where you get the 25 pounds from, but I am willing to bet that when they were the same age, Korneev was about 4 inches taller and a good 10 pounds heavier than Bouillon. Bouillon looks like he could be juiced, and I doubt that Korneev would do that, but still Korneev will be at least as big.



Bouillon has a solid frame, even though he's small he's got a compact build. Korneev is not listed at 184. He's listed at 170-175. I've seen him 3 times in Russia this year alone and he's not bigger then Bouillon. He may have 2 or inches but his body frame doesn't look like he will get too much bigger. I could be wrong, since he's only 19 1/2 and it's possible to hit a growth spurt around 21.

I am a fan of Korneev's and hope to see him signed cause he doesn't play much for AK Bars or the National team (I've seen him play for them too) and I'd like to see what he can do in the AHL next year. I'm not much of a fan of Bouillon's, but he's way more feisty, physical and he's bigger, imo.

db23 03-17-2004 04:00 PM

I only saw Korneev at the WJC, but even though he was the smallest Russian defender, he was probably the most physical. I didn't see him lose many battles along the boards. When they drafted Markov, he was 19, and listed at 6-0, 185 pounds. For that matter, Vladimir Konstantinov, one of the toughest defenceman ever in the NHL, was listed at 5-11, 176 when drafted, the exact size that Korneev was originally listed at. Some players grow more than others in the years following their draft, but it is usually safe to say that most add 15 to 20 pounds. Chris Chelios was under 200 pounds for most of his career. I could see Korneev being the size of Chelios within a couple of years.

Montreal, on the IIHF U18 rostor from 2 years ago, Korneev was listed at 181 Cm and 80 Kg. That converts to 5-11 1/2 inches tall, and 177 pounds. You have him LOSING 2 INCHES in height and 7 pounds over the past 2 years. That is wrong, and if anything, he has probably grown an inch and put on 10 or 15 pounds over the past 2 years. The IIHF measurements are usually pretty accurate, but they often use the same measurements for a particular player for the whole of his international career. I would be really surprised if Korneev showed up in camp next year at anything less than 6-0 and 190 pounds. If the kid is tough, which Korneev appears to be, and skilled which he certainly is, that is enough.

montreal 03-17-2004 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db23
I only saw Korneev at the WJC, but even though he was the smallest Russian defender, he was probably the most physical. I didn't see him lose many battles along the boards. When they drafted Markov, he was 19, and listed at 6-0, 185 pounds. For that matter, Vladimir Konstantinov, one of the toughest defenceman ever in the NHL, was listed at 5-11, 176 when drafted, the exact size that Korneev was originally listed at. Some players grow more than others in the years following their draft, but it is usually safe to say that most add 15 to 20 pounds. Chris Chelios was under 200 pounds for most of his career. I could see Korneev being the size of Chelios within a couple of years.

Montreal, on the IIHF U18 rostor from 2 years ago, Korneev was listed at 181 Cm and 80 Kg. That converts to 5-11 1/2 inches tall, and 177 pounds. You have him LOSING 2 INCHES in height and 7 pounds over the past 2 years. That is wrong, and if anything, he has probably grown an inch and put on 10 or 15 pounds over the past 2 years. The IIHF measurements are usually pretty accurate, but they often use the same measurements for a particular player for the whole of his international career. I would be really surprised if Korneev showed up in camp next year at anything less than 6-0 and 190 pounds. If the kid is tough, which Korneev appears to be, and skilled which he certainly is, that is enough.


Check out his stats from AK Bars, he's listed at 176 5'11.

db23 03-17-2004 07:15 PM

There it says 181 cm (5-11 1/2) and 82 kg (181 pounds). Those numbers are the same as they were while he was with Dynamo a year ago, so they may just have taken them from there.

montreal 03-17-2004 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db23
There it says 181 cm (5-11 1/2) and 82 kg (181 pounds). Those numbers are the same as they were while he was with Dynamo a year ago, so they may just have taken them from there.



Or he didnt go any from last year which is another possibility.

db23 03-17-2004 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal
Or he didnt go any from last year which is another possibility.

True, but he still will never be 5-10 and 170 pounds at any point in his life from now on. Or not until his is 75 years old, anyway.

L4br3cqu3 03-17-2004 09:27 PM

Could Korneev become a kind of Brian Rafalski ? Don't know if it's a good comparison... Both aren't tall neither big (althought Korneev is a bit taller) but Rafalski is very good offensively and has exceptional vision... Korneev is mostly offensive, right ? Does he have the same kind of vision ? Thanks...

db23 03-17-2004 11:44 PM

I see a lot of similarities between Korneev and Markov, actually. Markov was overlooked by the scouts because he was undersized and played both forward and defence when he came into the RSL. Markov when he was drafted was about the age that Korneev is now, and he was listed at 6-0, 185 pounds at that time. Korneev, as near as I can tell, is about 6-0, 180 pounds now. Both excelled in their WJC appearances and were the team's top scoring defenceman at their last WJC.

In his first two years in the RSL, Markov played for a weaker team and scored a total of 15 points. Korneev in his first two years also played for a weaker team and scored 12 points in about half the number of games. In their third seasons, both were traded to a top team and went on to play in the playoffs. If you want to carry the comparison a bit further, Markov played two more years in the RSL after that point, and became a dominant defenseman, winning the RSL top defenceman award both years. So Korneev knows what he needs to do from here on in to become another Markov. :rolly:

montreal 03-17-2004 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db23
True, but he still will never be 5-10 and 170 pounds at any point in his life from now on. Or not until his is 75 years old, anyway.


Unless he's 5'10 to start with. Don't give me he's listed at 5'11 cause I've seen Corey Locke listed on different sites anywhere from 5'8 to 5'11. Korneev is small no matter how you slice it, if it's 5'10 or 5'11 he's small. Unless your him we won't his acutally height but it doesn't matter if he's 5'10 or 5'11 the fact is he's still small this year and I've seen him play 3 times as opposed to someone who saw him last year. As for 170, I'd say he's around that weight, maybe 180 tops tough to really say but I've seen Perezhogin up close and he's smaller then him and Alex is around 180-185.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.