HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Gainey and coaching (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=620748)

missthenet 03-18-2009 12:45 PM

Gainey and coaching

Maybe Gainey should of hired a new coach instead of going behind the bench? would it of made sense to turn the team over to Lever for the balance of the year?

fufonzo 03-18-2009 12:53 PM

IMO, that point could be argued. Trade deadline is over and Gainey doesn't negotiate contracts during the season, so he probably had time available to coach for the rest of the season.

Add to that, the fact that the team had also played very well under him as a coach in the past and the fact that he would be able to work more closely with the players which gives him a better idea of who he'd like to keep and for how much when UFA signing time comes around.
I think this also makes him more accountable for the team's performance.

I don't know. I think you could argue for or against this decision, but IMO, his decision to go behind the bench wasn't a bad decision. Had he sent Lever back there, it wouldn't necessarily have been a bad decision either.

We also don't even know if Lever will be head coach next year. He might be weighing his options and seeing who's available this summer.

All-Star 03-18-2009 03:34 PM

Gainey is currently trying to save his job with the Habs. I wouldn't trust in anyone else to save my job for me, so I can't see why he would.

HotHabsFan* 03-18-2009 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-Star (Post 18594299)
Gainey is currently trying to save his job with the Habs. I wouldn't trust in anyone else to save my job for me, so I can't see why he would.

This !

Habs 4 Life 03-18-2009 03:41 PM

Quote:

Bingo,and unless the Habs can get passed 2 rounds he will be let go or he will "step down"

Hermamoud 03-18-2009 03:43 PM

I think that he's doing this to have a hands-on assessment on his upcoming UFA's and to really know who is leaving and who he'll try to re-sign.

Habs 4 Life 03-18-2009 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermamoud (Post 18594468)
I think that he's doing this to have a hands-on assessment on his upcoming UFA's and to really know who is leaving and who he'll try to re-sign.

well if that's the case then what the hell did he do all year as GM?I think he already knows what to do and it won't be easy

Ozymandias 03-18-2009 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life (Post 18594413)
Bingo,and unless the Habs can get passed 2 rounds he will be let go or he will "step down"

Says who?

The Great Gazoo?

missthenet 03-18-2009 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermamoud (Post 18594468)

I think he would be better off away from behind the bench. I think he already is aware who to keep and who to let walk. I think his time should be spent watching the guys on the farm taem, in Europe, Russia etc. to know who to try and get over here asap. After seeing this mornings line and having Kovalev back with Kosty I gotta wonder why Carbo was fired!!! The product on the ice hasn't changed with Gainey behind the bench, let a real coach coach and let the GM be the GM and get us some long term help for the future.

Ozymandias 03-18-2009 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life (Post 18594486)
well if that's the case then what the hell did he do all year as GM?I think he already knows what to do and it won't be easy

You,re missing the point. Its never clearer than when you're in the lockeroom assessing directly what the players bring. Its not the same as sitting in the pressbox like he did as a GM.

TheCH* 03-18-2009 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missthenet (Post 18591792)
Maybe Gainey should of hired a new coach instead of going behind the bench? would it of made sense to turn the team over to Lever for the balance of the year?

My prediction, Gainey relieves himself of his duties and the end of the year and wants to leave it up to the new GM to hire his own coach.

mabus 03-19-2009 09:49 AM

Quote:

Wonderfully said.

Habs 03-19-2009 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missthenet (Post 18591792)

But this team would be so boring to watch if we never allowed 45 shots a game. What if a new coach brought in a system or a PP?

Belso 03-19-2009 08:35 PM

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=8201

Over 1300 games as a head coach

Won a Stanley Cup...

This guy should still be coaching at least as an assistant...

Analyzer 03-19-2009 09:00 PM

Whoever the next coach is, hopefully he knows what the **** he's doing.

sampollock 03-19-2009 09:04 PM

1. no pp
2. breeze by's passes suck
3. breeze by in the lineup?
4. bob watching close to the ice, and he said this is the team that will go to the playoffs
5. no #1 line
6. we suck, and it is starting to really show how avg this team is

la25ecoupe 03-19-2009 09:11 PM

|Gainey, how hard is it to:

1. Split AK/Plek/Kovy?
2. Bench Komo, play OB
3. Bench Breezer, play Dandy
4. Trust in Holy Halak?
5. Ask the players to shoot the puck?

Kirk Muller 03-19-2009 09:12 PM

I personally can't see Gainey back next year nor want him back. Carbo was the scapegoat for Gainey's mismanagement.

5 years as GM and he cant even pinpoint the issues and flaws of the team let alone address them. Bob thinks you can win with soft, decent skating and i won't say speedy because this team really isn't that, weak, perimeter players.

The only reason he hasn't received much blame is the respect people had for him as a player.

sampollock 03-19-2009 09:14 PM

you wonder how bob feels, after he watchs that.

HotHabsFan* 03-19-2009 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analyzer (Post 18616481)

Are you guys still blaming this team on coaching right now honestly ?
Are you even watching these players ? They are playing like they want to lose, its so strange.

CanadienErrant* 03-19-2009 09:17 PM

I would had never thought that I would write it this year...

BOB, LET LEVER COACH !

Kirk Muller 03-19-2009 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analyzer (Post 18616481)

Whoever is the next GM, hopefully he knows what the **** he's doing as well.

sampollock 03-19-2009 09:20 PM

coaching is not the main problem

the players are lost

and again, weak down the middle, and small and are wieners

Analyzer 03-19-2009 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HotHabsFan (Post 18616932)
Are you guys still blaming this team on coaching right now honestly ?
Are you even watching these players ? They are playing like they want to lose, its so strange.

This is true. They don't really care.

Say, you were the coach, you get a powerplay. What do you do?
A) Put back together an abysmal line this year and put them out
B) Put out players who care, who are playing well tonight and who fight in the corners and go to the front of the net ?

Gainey choose A. While the majority of players don,t care, our coaching is still atrocious.

Nitehowl 03-19-2009 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirk Muller (Post 18617038)
Whoever is the next GM, hopefully he knows what the **** he's doing as well.

Why does a coaching change work in WASH / OTTAWA etc. but nothing different here.

Anyone else feel like I do in that Ottawa will finish ahead of us next year.They seem to have a coach now and added a few parts they needed and are playing well now.Sure there is no pressure but they have done well under Clouston.

Trying to be positive,,,...... at least we can draft a good Canadian kid like Kassian if we miss the playoffs. We really need to weed out the Euro floaters. Sad to say but so true on this team. AKost is turning out to be a HUGE mistake... think Getzlaf/Richards/Carter etc....