HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   higgins rfa idea (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=620817)

markov norris 2009 03-18-2009 03:46 PM

higgins rfa idea

Since higgins is from the new york islanders area, i would let him test de rfa market just to see if the islanders will give him enough to get their 1first round pick for next year... They really want him and the will pay much more than us to get him...
what do you think?

HotHabsFan* 03-18-2009 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markov norris 2009 (Post 18594539)
Since higgins is from the new york islanders area, i would let him test de rfa market just to see if the islanders will give him enough to get their 1first round pick for next year... They really want him and the will pay much more than us to get him...
what do you think?

I think Milbury is no longer on Long Island, thats what i am thinking. Oh and good luck with this one.

markov norris 2009 03-18-2009 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HotHabsFan (Post 18594569)
I think Milbury is no longer on Long Island, thats what i am thinking. Oh and good luck with this one.

im sure they will pay around 4 millions to get him... If ryder got 4 millions higgins could get something close than that

Kriss E 03-18-2009 03:52 PM

So the Isles would give up possible the 1st overall pick for Higgins?..loll
Wow..if only all dreams would come true..

markov norris 2009 03-18-2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriss E (Post 18594609)
So the Isles would give up possible the 1st overall pick for Higgins?..loll
Wow..if only all dreams would come true..

they will get tavares this year so maybe they are going to climb the standing a bit they have some prospect that will developp next year

kostitsyn1489 03-18-2009 03:59 PM

A Penner type of deal I take it i think with the Isles. Odds are good that they'll end up in the bottom tier and 2010 draft looks pretty decent.

Kriss E 03-18-2009 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markov norris 2009 (Post 18594651)
they will get tavares this year so maybe they are going to climb the standing a bit they have some prospect that will developp next year

Pittsburgh finished close to last with Crosby if I'm not mistaken.

1st rounder is a crucial asset when you could possibly get the 1st overall. It's certainly not something worth giving up for Higgins.

Hermamoud 03-18-2009 04:06 PM

Even if it's Garth Snow, having the choice between Higgins and Hedman / Tavares... I don't think it's hard.

If you had the 1st overall pick, would you trade it for Steve Bernier? (I chose someone of similar skillset)

Lucius 03-18-2009 04:14 PM

At this rate, I'd try and trade him at the draft.

If that fails, I seriously contemplate not qualifying him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermamoud (Post 18594887)
Even if it's Garth Snow, having the choice between Higgins and Hedman / Tavares... I don't think it's hard.

If you had the 1st overall pick, would you trade it for Steve Bernier? (I chose someone of similar skillset)

Well to be fair, it would be in the draft after those two ;)

Jean-Guy Drouin* 03-18-2009 04:28 PM

Let him go. This guy is useless. Any other team's 1st pick is better than him.

habdynasty 03-18-2009 04:47 PM

let the whole team go they are all useless

beowulf 03-18-2009 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markov norris 2009 (Post 18594627)
im sure they will pay around 4 millions to get him... If ryder got 4 millions higgins could get something close than that

ryder was also durable and a 2 time 30 goal scorer. Also the first round pick would be in 2010 people not in 2009....so stop your ****ing wet dreams of Tavares or Hedman...

kostitsyn1489 03-18-2009 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beowulf (Post 18595557)
ryder was also durable and a 2 time 30 goal scorer. Also the first round pick would be in 2010 people not in 2009....so stop your ****ing wet dreams of Tavares or Hedman...

Taylor Hall is not far behind those 2.

Sined 03-18-2009 09:54 PM

I will have many sleepless nights as I lie in waiting for your next brilliant idea.

goalchenyuk 03-18-2009 09:58 PM

The first choice would be the one of 2010 , not 2009 . Free agency signing starts the first july , after the draft .

Axeshun 03-18-2009 10:00 PM

Not that I'm in favor of the idea of trading Higgins, but if there was anywhere he'd be going I think the Islanders would be the ideal situation.

They need to turn that team around ASAP, with likely a top 5 pick at the very least, it could be a very good move for the fanbase if they could also bring in a hometown guy. Hell, maybe they'll even take a shot at Komisarek, who knows?

Darth Milbury 03-19-2009 03:34 PM

Why, exactly, do the Isles need to "turn the situation around quick?" I see no pressure on Long Island to start winning anytime soon. If anything, the pressures are the exact opposite. Wang is trying to finally close the Hub deal and the Isles basically can't be financially solvent until that happens. So, from a strategic and economic perspective, the smartest thing the Isles can do now is build carefully through the draft and then have a young core in place when the Hub finally comes online.

As for Higgins, yeah the Isles might be interested in him. I suspect he still has decent market value too. I know he had a crappy year, but he still has nice upside and a is a solid physical winger. But, the Isles don't have the payroll room to give out offer sheets and Higgins wouldn't be worth the compensation under any circumstances.

Habs 4 Life 03-19-2009 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100th (Post 18600598)
The first choice would be the one of 2010 , not 2009 . Free agency signing starts the first july , after the draft .

you had to ruin things,people actually thought it would have been this years pick the Isles would trade:laugh:

Since when the **** did Higgins become a superstar?I like the guy but he's not worth anywhere close to 4 million a year

hendextall 03-19-2009 04:11 PM

And lets not forget, Montreal has the only fans and media who cry about not having enough local players. Other teams just don't care about that.

All-Star 03-19-2009 04:20 PM

I'm confident Higgins will work on his flaws this summer and come back stronger than ever next season. I'd offer him 5 Million over two years.

shutehinside 03-19-2009 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markov norris 2009 (Post 18594539)
what do you think?

So let me get this straight. You think there's ANY possibility that the Isles would sign Higgins to a $4+ Million contract, thus having to comepnsate the Habs with a 1st rounder (probably Tavares) that would cost about $800k??
Even if they were completely ******** and suffered from multiple brain farts at the same time, they would have ot travel back in time to get the pick as the free agency period is about a week after the draft anyways!

Massive fail.

All-Star 03-19-2009 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shutehinside (Post 18610909)
Even if they were completely ******** and suffered from multiple brain farts at the same time, they would have ot travel back in time to get the pick as the free agency period is about a week after the draft anyways!

Massive fail.

You may want to re-read the post you quoted...

Axeshun 03-19-2009 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Milbury (Post 18610077)
Why, exactly, do the Isles need to "turn the situation around quick?" I see no pressure on Long Island to start winning anytime soon. If anything, the pressures are the exact opposite. Wang is trying to finally close the Hub deal and the Isles basically can't be financially solvent until that happens. So, from a strategic and economic perspective, the smartest thing the Isles can do now is build carefully through the draft and then have a young core in place when the Hub finally comes online.

As for Higgins, yeah the Isles might be interested in him. I suspect he still has decent market value too. I know he had a crappy year, but he still has nice upside and a is a solid physical winger. But, the Isles don't have the payroll room to give out offer sheets and Higgins wouldn't be worth the compensation under any circumstances.

Yeah, you're right. Sorry I didn't word it properly, they don't HAVE to turn it around, I'd just like them to.

LyricalLyricist 03-19-2009 06:44 PM

Ryder got 4 mil cuz he was UFA, not a RFA with compensation, if they had to give up picks they wouldn't have done it. Also, uhh, I know higgins is from Long Island but why would they do this exactly? Just because he lived there doesn't mean they're waiting for him and komi to be UFA. They aren't obsessed with local players like we are.

Darth Milbury 03-19-2009 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SergeiKostitsyn74 (Post 18611401)
Yeah, you're right. Sorry I didn't word it properly, they don't HAVE to turn it around, I'd just like them to.

Well, I think most Islander fans would want that too. BUT, mortaging the future for a short term bump is not in the cards.