HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Jacques Demers on Les Francs Tireurs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=620918)

Jack Bourdain 03-18-2009 08:38 PM

Jacques Demers on Les Francs Tireurs
 
Goes from an abusive relationship with his dad, who was a janitor that rented his furniture and Demers lost everything when he died, goes from being an analphabet, goes from being a coca-cola truck driver, goes from being fired 4 times in 20 months when it was his daughters birthday and somehow ends up at the head of the Canadiens.

Man is wise, this man is wise. All that needs to be said.

Turns out all these bad experiences prepared him for coaching, and he gives example that one of his player came up to him and told him his girlfriend was pregnant, and this player had 2 kids and a wife. Jacques helped him (don't remember full details if any).

JD: "Les Demers sont toughs!"

penaltykiller 03-18-2009 08:43 PM

Watching that right now. Quite a life!


The hell of a man.

Jack Bourdain 03-18-2009 08:50 PM

When asked "Jacques, you're a very calm guy, but does it ever happen to you that, despite your father telling you you're a good for nothing, people like Jean Perron saying you'll never be able to coach the Canadiens and etc., do you ever happen to tell these people: **** you. ?"

He answers, "Yes, absolutely. **** you.(to those persons)"

Haha, what an awesome interview.

Fire Brunet* 03-18-2009 08:50 PM

lol @ the ending

Myron Gaines* 03-18-2009 08:57 PM

Respect for Demers.:nod:

snakeye 03-18-2009 09:04 PM

He's awesome. Great motivator, which is exactly what the habs need right now. The 93 cup might now have been won had ho not been the coach.

Myron Gaines* 03-18-2009 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snakeye (Post 18598620)
He's awesome. Great motivator, which is exactly what the habs need right now. The 93 cup might now have been won had ho not been the coach.

I've never seen a coach like Demers for the 7-8 years I've been following hockey, he just seems to be liked by everyone and as I understand he was the kind of coach that always was on the players' side no matter what.

He was like that kindergarden teacher everyone loved. Sometimes that's a good thing,sometimes it's bad,but it worked quite well for him.

Kimota 03-19-2009 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain (Post 18598379)
When asked "Jacques, you're a very calm guy, but does it ever happen to you that, despite your father telling you you're a good for nothing, people like Jean Perron saying you'll never be able to coach the Canadiens and etc., do you ever happen to tell these people: **** you. ?"

He answers, "Yes, absolutely. **** you.(to those persons)"

Haha, what an awesome interview.

Wait what happened with Jean Perron..?

Africa. 03-19-2009 01:31 AM

He should come coach the Habs. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Mathletic 03-19-2009 02:05 AM

great interview, I really liked it

Gros Bill 03-19-2009 08:14 AM

At the beginning, they did a short bio, starting with a replay of the Téléjournal when he was hired. The newswoman : "Le Canadien a annoncé aujourd'hui la mise sous contrat pour trois ans de Jacques Demers à titre d'entraîneur chef du Canadien". My g/f wasn't watching, but she just heard that while she was in kitchen and promptly freaked out. "Hein? Quoi? Hein?". Great interview, you gotta have respect for a guy like him.

The Gal Pals 03-19-2009 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain (Post 18598181)
Goes from an abusive relationship with his dad, who was a janitor that rented his furniture and Demers lost everything when he died, goes from being an analphabet, goes from being a coca-cola truck driver, goes from being fired 4 times in 20 months when it was his daughters birthday and somehow ends up at the head of the Canadiens.

Man is wise, this man is wise. All that needs to be said.

Turns out all these bad experiences prepared him for coaching, and he gives example that one of his player came up to him and told him his girlfriend was pregnant, and this player had 2 kids and a wife. Jacques helped him (don't remember full details if any).

JD: "Les Demers sont toughs!"

How did he get fired 4 times in 20 months when it was his daughter's birthday? How many birthdays did she have?

MisterTrep 03-19-2009 10:52 AM

I did read his Biography. it's quite a good read. He had it though but his attitude was so positive that he could whoop life A s s easily.

Jigger77 03-19-2009 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snakeye (Post 18598620)
He's awesome. Great motivator, which is exactly what the habs need right now. The 93 cup might now have been won had ho not been the coach.

Maybe. But it never would have been won without #33. That's for sure.

Nothing against Demers though. I have nothing but respect for that guy.

Mad Habber 03-19-2009 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigger77 (Post 18604989)
Maybe. But it never would have been won without #33. That's for sure.

Nothing against Demers though. I have nothing but respect for that guy.

It wasn't just Roy. I hate these comments.

The Habs didn't win in the 70s just because Lafleur filled the net. The Habs won because of a number of reasons, and Lafleur was a major part but not the only by any stretch.

In 93, Roy stopped the puck when needed, most of the time. But LeClair, Damphousse, Muller, Desjardins, Bellows, potted some timely goals. If Roy didn't stop them all, the boys got them the next goal. The D which wasn't very big, but very mobile for the times moved the puck quickly. Carbo, Keane, Ronan and others provided sound defensive play and chipped in offensively. And Demers and his crew, did a great job behind the bench. They won because at the time, they formed the best team. The next year, they lost because they weren't the best team or didn't play like they were.

Same with Carbo this year. At first everyone blamed Carbo, then he got canned, and everybody says that Carbo was alright and it was the players' fault. Well Carbo was part of the team. If the team succeeds, he gets praised (Adams Trophy finalist). If the team falters, he gets pointed out only because he's the easiest to get rid of. The players have to shoulder part of the blame. But can't take all of it, same as Carbo.

And no one can take all the praise either. Not even Patrick Roy.

I realize you didn't say it was only Roy, but your statement makes it sound like it.

Jigger77 03-19-2009 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Habber (Post 18605943)
It wasn't just Roy. I hate these comments.

The Habs didn't win in the 70s just because Lafleur filled the net. The Habs won because of a number of reasons, and Lafleur was a major part but not the only by any stretch.

In 93, Roy stopped the puck when needed, most of the time. But LeClair, Damphousse, Muller, Desjardins, Bellows, potted some timely goals. If Roy didn't stop them all, the boys got them the next goal. The D which wasn't very big, but very mobile for the times moved the puck quickly. Carbo, Keane, Ronan and others provided sound defensive play and chipped in offensively. And Demers and his crew, did a great job behind the bench. They won because at the time, they formed the best team. The next year, they lost because they weren't the best team or didn't play like they were.

Same with Carbo this year. At first everyone blamed Carbo, then he got canned, and everybody says that Carbo was alright and it was the players' fault. Well Carbo was part of the team. If the team succeeds, he gets praised (Adams Trophy finalist). If the team falters, he gets pointed out only because he's the easiest to get rid of. The players have to shoulder part of the blame. But can't take all of it, same as Carbo.

And no one can take all the praise either. Not even Patrick Roy.

I realize you didn't say it was only Roy, but your statement makes it sound like it.


It certainly wasn't only Roy and I agree completely with everything you said.

BUT, I will ask you this. Remove Roy from the 1993 Montreal Canadiens....Do we still win the Cup that year?

Mad Habber 03-20-2009 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigger77 (Post 18606280)
It certainly wasn't only Roy and I agree completely with everything you said.

BUT, I will ask you this. Remove Roy from the 1993 Montreal Canadiens....Do we still win the Cup that year?

Depends on who you replace him with. If you say Red Light, well you don't really need an answer.

But if we don't have Roy, Serge Savard replaces him with a capable #1 goalie. So essentially trade Roy for someone else. Who I don't know, so there really is no answer to this question.

Raises an intersting question though. If Roy is trade bait in 92/93, who do we get from that era, and how do we do?

habs93 03-20-2009 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Habber (Post 18625338)
Depends on who you replace him with. If you say Red Light, well you don't really need an answer.

But if we don't have Roy, Serge Savard replaces him with a capable #1 goalie. So essentially trade Roy for someone else. Who I don't know, so there really is no answer to this question.

Raises an intersting question though. If Roy is trade bait in 92/93, who do we get from that era, and how do we do?


I don't know about 92/93 but a few years later a possible trade partner I read was St. Louis - Roy for Curtis Joseph & Brendan Shanahan (not French so did not go
through?)

Mad Habber 03-20-2009 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habs93 (Post 18625717)
I don't know about 92/93 but a few years later a possible trade partner I read was St. Louis - Roy for Curtis Joseph & Brendan Shanahan (not French so did not go
through?)

No that was my dream trade. I made that up and floated it around once or twice in the last couple of years plus once recently. It was a proposal not a rumour.

habs93 03-20-2009 09:15 PM

Well it made it on to other message boards then.......


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.