HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Canucks sign free agent forward Eric Walsky (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=621558)

steve weeks 03-20-2009 01:17 PM

Canucks sign free agent forward Eric Walsky

http://canucks.nhl.com/team/app/?ser...ticleid=414491

From Colorado College. I guess this was one of the players Gillis was talking about. Anybody know anything about him?

DL44 03-20-2009 01:18 PM

Signing: Eric Walsky

Per: Team 1040

From Colorado College

http://dwb.adn.com/photo/2006/07/12/...-150-x-220.jpg
Eric Walsky
Forward
Born Sep 30 1984, 24 yrs old -- Anchorage, AK
Height 5.11 -- Weight 194 -- Shoots R

2003-04 River City Lancers USHL 45gm 9g 16a 25p 16pim
2004-05 U. of Al-Anchorage NCAA 16gm 3g 4a 7p 2
2005-06 U. of Al-Anchorage NCAA 35gm 3g 12a 15p 14
2007-08 Colorado College NCAA 41gm 12g 8a 20p 14
2008-09 Colorado College NCAA 38gm 12g 24a 36p 24

Other articles and info (posted in this thread and other):

From Mr. Canucklehead's post below...
Quote:

HIGHLIGHTS AS A TIGER

2007-08: Walsky factored in on five game-winning goals during his debut season with Colorado College, scoring four including a pair against his former team – Alaska Anchorage – on separate weekends...one of the team’s fastest skaters whose 12 tallies and 20 points overall both represented career highs...collected two assists in a 5-2 triumph at Denver that clinched the league title for CC in early March...among only five Tigers to play in all 41 games.

2006-07: Ineligible to play after transferring from the University of Alaska Anchorage, where he tied for the team lead with 15 points (3g,12a) as a sophomore in 2005-06, Walsky practiced with the Tigers the entire season before making a major impact in ‘07-08...played only 16 games his freshman year at UAA, due to injuries, but skated on the team’s top two lines when he was healthy.

HIGH SCHOOL/JUNIORS: Walsky collected 25 points (9g,16a), including four game-winning goals, in 45 games his first season (2003-04) with the River City Lancers of United States Junior Hockey League...was named the 2003 Anchorage Daily News/State Coaches Player of the Year as a senior at East High School after amassing 64 points (32g,32a) for the Thunderbirds...helped the Alaska All Stars midget team advance to the semifinals of the 2003 USA Hockey Tier I National Championships, with 5 points (3g,2a) in five outings...a two-time all-state selection as a prep.

From HankyFourFingers below:
- Ranked #8 on McKeen's Top 10 Free-agent NCAA players.
- Walsky thriving for No. 3 Tigers Nov 2008

Canucks Report:
Quote:

Eric is a mature, skilled forward with tremendous skating and puck-handling abilities,” said Mike Gillis. “We look forward to having him joining our organization and beginning his development in professional hockey.”

Canucks sign college free-agent Walsky, send him to AHL Moose
Quote:

Walsky watched the Canucks practise at GM Place and then worked out for strength and conditioning coach Roger Takahashi. He will fly to Winnipeg Saturday to join the Scott Arniel-coached Moose.
Roger is going to design a plan for Eric and then he’s going to begin practising and playing with Manitoba,” said Gillis

Obviously I’m really excited about joining the organization,” said Walsky, a native of Anchorage, Alaska.

Walsky sounds like an interesting individual off the ice as he is completing his thesis on “atheist identity.”

The key when it comes to prospects is to look at progression...
I guess the scouts really saw something in the HUGE tsep he took this yr in his playmaking...
going from 8a to 24a must of proven to be the head-turner in this instance...
http://www.doubleazone.com/Walsky.jpg

Zorbane 03-20-2009 01:19 PM

Y...ay?

Do'nt know anything about him so not gonna say too much other than I'm glad they're looking at this route now.

Bobby Lou 03-20-2009 01:20 PM

Never heard of him, but at least he's demonstrated improvement every year through college. Does this guy report to the Moose or what? He's already 24.

ChemicalHansen 03-20-2009 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DL44 (Post 18626736)
Per: Team 1040

From Colorado College

Forward
Born Sep 30 1984 -- Anchorage, AK
Height 5.11 -- Weight 194 -- Shoots R

2003-04 River City Lancers USHL 45 9 16 25 16 3 0 0 0 0
2004-05 U. of Al-Anchorage NCAA 16 3 4 7 2
2005-06 U. of Al-Anchorage NCAA 35 3 12 15 14
2007-08 Colorado College NCAA 41 12 8 20 14
2008-09 Colorado College NCAA 38 12 24 36 24

From those stats, it looks like he's coming off a break-out year. Can anyone confirm if Walsky can choose to stay with his college team, or does he play with the Moose next year if the Canucks instruct him so?

Nevertheless, he's a player who's steadily improved over the last 4 years. I'm wondering what injury shortened that '04-05 season of his.

Pure West 03-20-2009 01:23 PM

Hmmm...skipped 06-07? Just saw that he had to sit out a year to transfer schools since he thought that Alaska-Anchorage system was too restrictive. I guess I like that he appeared to improve every year.

Mr. Canucklehead 03-20-2009 01:25 PM

Canucks probably saw a lot of this guy when checking in on Kris Fredheim(defense prospect plays at Colorado College). Right handed forward coming off a good College career, seems like a solid pickup. Moose have already declared their clear day roster, but he could slide into a couple of regular season games before the playoffs.

~Canucklehead~

Bourdon 03-20-2009 01:30 PM

Seems like Moose fodder, although not necessarily a bad thing.

Taco Fingerhat 03-20-2009 01:31 PM

I LOVE this move. I mean, I have zero idea who this guy is, but there is no risk involved. If we do something like this every so often we may find ourselves another Burrows. Who knows.

pitseleh 03-20-2009 01:31 PM

It's worth mentioning Walsky led his team in assists and tied for the lead in points in 05/06 even though the absolute point totals don't look like anything special.

Otherwise, I have no clue what he's about.

DL44 03-20-2009 01:31 PM

Well, if he's the type of player Vancouver wants to focus on now, he must be a pretty smart player... his assist totals suggest it...
Hopefully he has wheels.

I'll wait for a scouting report of any type...

Mr. Canucklehead 03-20-2009 01:31 PM

Got this from the Colorado College website, some interesting tidbits...

Quote:

HIGHLIGHTS AS A TIGER
2007-08: Walsky factored in on five game-winning goals during his debut season with Colorado College, scoring four including a pair against his former team – Alaska Anchorage – on separate weekends...one of the team’s fastest skaters whose 12 tallies and 20 points overall both represented career highs...collected two assists in a 5-2 triumph at Denver that clinched the league title for CC in early March...among only five Tigers to play in all 41 games.
2006-07: Ineligible to play after transferring from the University of Alaska Anchorage, where he tied for the team lead with 15 points (3g,12a) as a sophomore in 2005-06, Walsky practiced with the Tigers the entire season before making a major impact in ‘07-08...played only 16 games his freshman year at UAA, due to injuries, but skated on the team’s top two lines when he was healthy.
HIGH SCHOOL/JUNIORS: Walsky collected 25 points (9g,16a), including four game-winning goals, in 45 games his first season (2003-04) with the River City Lancers of United States Junior Hockey League...was named the 2003 Anchorage Daily News/State Coaches Player of the Year as a senior at East High School after amassing 64 points (32g,32a) for the Thunderbirds...helped the Alaska All Stars midget team advance to the semifinals of the 2003 USA Hockey Tier I National Championships, with 5 points (3g,2a) in five outings...a two-time all-state selection as a prep.
Seems like he has a propensity for scoring GWGs. Apparently a fast skater too. Doesn't sound too bad.

~Canucklehead~

anguscertified 03-20-2009 01:32 PM

McKeen's Top 10 Free-agent NCAA players (thanks to X-Sharkie for the list).

1 Tyler Bozak C 6-0/180 Denver
2 Matt Gilroy D 6-2/195 Boston University
3 John Mitchell LW 6-5/200 Wisconsin
4 Christian Hanson C 6-3/202 Notre Dame
5 Sean Backman C 5-9/170 Yale
6 Zach Miskovic D 6-1/185 St. Lawrence
7 Cam MacIntyre RW 6-1/220 Princeton
8 Eric Walsky RW 5-11/194 Colorado College
9 Brad Thiessen G 6-0/180 Northeastern
10 Brian Kilburg D 6-3/215 Minnesota State

NFITO 03-20-2009 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SherlockHouse (Post 18626826)
From those stats, it looks like he's coming off a break-out year. Can anyone confirm if Walsky can choose to stay with his college team, or does he play with the Moose next year if the Canucks instruct him so?

Nevertheless, he's a player who's steadily improved over the last 4 years. I'm wondering what injury shortened that '04-05 season of his.

when a player signs a pro contract out of college, they forgo their NCAA eligibility, so I'm sure that he's done his college years now.

As far as the Moose - I thought that the team had to give in their active roster for the playoffs already and Walsky wouldn't be on it as he just signed today, making him ineligible to play with the Moose in the playoffs, although I'm guessing he could still play with them during the rest of the regular season... although I'm guessing here, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

VanEric 03-20-2009 01:36 PM

Speed and a right handed shot is worth taking a chance on. We have to improve our prospect pool somehow.

Placebo Effect 03-20-2009 01:37 PM

I like this, no risk and as 1998 said you never know when you can find another Burrows.

Bobby Lou 03-20-2009 01:37 PM

Uh, I guess worst case scenario he could play for the big club too. He's 24 so he's already a fairly mature player. Not necessarily worse case for Walsky, but it would be bad if we hit that point of our depth chart for some reason.

alternate 03-20-2009 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO (Post 18626974)
when a player signs a pro contract out of college, they forgo their NCAA eligibility, so I'm sure that he's done his college years now.

As far as the Moose - I thought that the team had to give in their active roster for the playoffs already and Walsky wouldn't be on it as he just signed today, making him ineligible to play with the Moose in the playoffs, although I'm guessing he could still play with them during the rest of the regular season... although I'm guessing here, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

how about for the SalmonKings? can he play for them?

or can he join our roster? there is no more roster limit, correct? I'd guess he signed for league min, so it wouldn't hurt us any having him sit in the press box. It's better for him to get some exposure to NHL hockey--especially down a playoff stretch--than sitting at home playing NHL 09.

pitseleh 03-20-2009 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alternate (Post 18627103)

or can he join our roster? there is no more roster limit, correct? I'd guess he signed for league min, so it wouldn't hurt us any having him sit in the press box. It's better for him to get some exposure to NHL hockey--especially down a playoff stretch--than sitting at home playing NHL 09.

Yeah, if nothing else having him practice with NHL players couldn't be a bad thing.

Don't think he could actually play though because he was signed after the trade deadline.

Mr. Canucklehead 03-20-2009 01:45 PM

I'm at work so can't copy and paste links, but I googled him and found an article from when he decided to transfer from UAA. He wasn't the only player to do so as another player transferred to the University of South Dakota. He sighted philisophical differences with the coach and neither of them expressed hard feelings, as the coach said he had a future in hockey. I took the last bit of the article to quote here as it goes into a bit of detail on what he's like as a player:

Quote:

Walsky's numbers last season as a sophomore weren't particularly eye-popping -- three goals, 12 assists and 15 points in 35 games -- but he led the team in assists and tied for the team lead in points.

On a team that produced just 1.89 goals per game, the second fewest in Division I, Walsky was clearly the team's most dangerous player in the postseason, when UAA was swept out of the first round of the WCHA playoffs by Minnesota. Walsky registered two assists in UAA's 7-4 loss in Game 1 and scored one goal in the Seawolves' 6-2 loss in Game 2.

Walsky was UAA's best stick-handler, even after a 2005 surgery that left him with two screws and limited range of motion in his right wrist, and he literally played keep-away with the Gophers in that series.

Walsky, a former state player of the year at East High and a standout with the Alaska All Stars competition program, was a prized recruit when he came to UAA in the fall of 2004.

But a high ankle sprain suffered on the first day of practice caused him to miss the opening 12 games of the season. He later sat out a two-game series at Denver with asthma. And after playing just 16 games, he suffered a broken and dislocated wrist against North Dakota and required surgery.

Between his freshman and sophomore seasons, Walsky underwent surgery to have his tonsils and adenoids removed and his septum straightened. Post-surgery complications caused him to lose 50 of his 195 pounds and landed him in the hospital for two days.

Walsky, who last weekend returned from traveling in Europe, said the physical travails of 2004 and 2005 might actually help him emotionally while sitting out a transfer season.

"I think I'm more prepared with all my injuries,'' he said. "I know what it takes, how depressing it can be. I'm going to force myself to be optimistic.''

Walsky said his decision to transfer involved mixed emotions, but ultimately he thinks it is his best recourse.

"It's tough in some ways, and not in other ways,'' he said. "It's tough to leave my team and my teammates, and I got along with them really well. And it's tough to leave the hockey community, because it's been supportive of me and supportive of this hockey program.

"But I need to do what's best for me and best for my career.''
Sure had his share of injury troubles at UAA, but it seems the move to Colorado College sure did him some good.

~Canucklehead~

edit: here's your link: http://dwb.adn.com/sports/v-printer/...-7851042c.html

Bourdon 03-20-2009 01:45 PM

Both Bozak and Gilroy are getting a ton of press. Apparently Bozak has been dubbed this year's Brunnstrom, and that all 6 Canadian teams (26 in total) are interested. Gilroy is a great skater that is touted to be effective in both ends of the ice, and is "a pure thinker of the game". He is 24 years old though, the same with Walsky.

LostMyGlasses* 03-20-2009 01:46 PM

AHL depth pickup. I'd be surprised if this guy ever cracked the NHL lineup.

steve weeks 03-20-2009 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HankyFourFingers (Post 18626942)
McKeen's Top 10 Free-agent NCAA players (thanks to X-Sharkie for the list).

1 Tyler Bozak C 6-0/180 Denver
2 Matt Gilroy D 6-2/195 Boston University
3 John Mitchell LW 6-5/200 Wisconsin
4 Christian Hanson C 6-3/202 Notre Dame
5 Sean Backman C 5-9/170 Yale
6 Zach Miskovic D 6-1/185 St. Lawrence
7 Cam MacIntyre RW 6-1/220 Princeton
8 Eric Walsky RW 5-11/194 Colorado College
9 Brad Thiessen G 6-0/180 Northeastern
10 Brian Kilburg D 6-3/215 Minnesota State

Is Walsky the first from this list to be signed?

NFITO 03-20-2009 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alternate (Post 18627103)

no there is no roster limit now, but there is a limit on the number of call-ups teams can have till the end of the season... remember we had some problems last year because of injuries and calling guys too early?? I'm not sure though how this relates to an NCAA signing, as he technically wouldn't be a "call-up"??

I also have no idea about the Salmon Kings... although I believe I had read a couple years ago that the ECHL also has to announce their playoff rosters as well, and if a player isn't on it, then they can't play on the team (just like the AHL).

having said that, whether he can play on the team or not isn't as important... I think for him, they get him working with Dave Gagner right away and get him into the organization's development program... coming from the NCAA he's had no exposure to any team's pro development, and at this point, that would likely be the best thing for him.

tantalum 03-20-2009 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO (Post 18626974)

That's the way I understand it. However, I believe the canucks can place him on their roster right now. He doesn't need to clear waivers, doesn't count as a call up move and the roster size is unlimited. Might be wrong and you may not want him around a team that is on such a roll.

ON the other hand perhaps you don't mind having guys like Hodgson (if eliminated from playoffs) or Walsky observing the team from a bit of a distance during this time of year.