HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Bob Gainey appreciation thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=62215)

felixd 03-15-2004 01:43 PM

Bob Gainey appreciation thread

Why do you like Bob Gainey?

For me it's that he knows which free agents to sign. Hull and Belfour were instrumental to the Stars cup. let's hope he can get some guys like that for us.

And for all of you who bring up Turgeon and Young...well Young sucks, but to be efficient Turgeon needs to be centering a scoring line. In Dallas he is given checking assignment which is why he hasn't been playing well. That year though Gainey also signed Boucher who was great on the Stars D and Dahlen who also played great.

KILLger 03-15-2004 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felixd
Why do you like Bob Gainey?

For me it's that he knows which free agents to sign. Hull and Belfour were instrumental to the Stars cup. let's hope he can get some guys like that for us.

And for all of you who bring up Turgeon and Young...well Young sucks, but to be efficient Turgeon needs to be centering a scoring line. In Dallas he is given checking assignment which is why he hasn't been playing well. That year though Gainey also signed Boucher who was great on the Stars D and Dahlen who also played great.

He also signed Donald Audette to a crazy amount...

What I like about Bob is that his last name isn't Clarke.

Carbonneau 03-15-2004 01:52 PM

He also had an unlimited budget in Dallas.

MTL is not going out and buying up the big freeagents.

We have too many great prospect that were going to use

Darz 03-15-2004 01:53 PM

Quote:

And for all of you who bring up Turgeon and Young...well Young sucks, but to be efficient Turgeon needs to be centering a scoring line.

You forgot to bring up Audette!

Oh well...every GM has his mistakes.

The biggest thing that impresses me about Gainey, although not a surprise is that he is able to handle the pressure that comes with being a GM in Montreal, in fact I think the media has left him alone and in a way is scared of him.

felixd 03-15-2004 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbonneau
He also had an unlimited budget in Dallas.

MTL is not going out and buying up the big freeagents.

We have too many great prospect that were going to use

Yes, but if we do have money to sign free agents, Gainey will know which ones to sign.

#44_delivers 03-15-2004 01:55 PM

Quote:

Why do you like Bob Gainey?.

i like him becuase he never smiles.

Carbonneau 03-15-2004 01:58 PM

Quote:

Yes, but if we do have money to sign free agents, Gainey will know which ones to sign.

Yeah, Kovalev

Carbonneau 03-15-2004 01:59 PM

Quote:

Yeah, Kovalev

Resign Souray, Riberio and others. These 2 will get pay raises

felixd 03-15-2004 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbonneau
Yeah, Kovalev

Good point.

oli500 03-15-2004 02:01 PM

The bigest quality IMO that Gainey has its that he never panicks under any situation. He goes and gets the players that he thinks well help the team and lets the rest handle it self. Other Gm's arent like that. Just look at clark given up all that future. Gainey IMO is one of the best in the buisness.

#44_delivers 03-15-2004 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oli500
The bigest quality IMO that Gainey has its that he never panicks under any situation. He goes and gets the players that he thinks well help the team and lets the rest handle it self. Other Gm's arent like that. Just look at clark given up all that future. Gainey IMO is one of the best in the buisness.

i think his biggest quality is i dont think he's ever satisfied, he wants the cup more then any other GM in the league you can sense it when you look at his face "never satisfied"
eye of the tiger!

Gros Bill 03-15-2004 02:19 PM

What I like about Gainey is the fact he knows hockey AND how to build a team. I've read the term "asset management" on this board, which is a very nice way of putting it. It's a bit like farming. You select young players and you develop them, until you have a good read on their potential. Then you decide : keep or trade. But the point is you have traded a better player (and gotten more in return) because you helped him reach his potential.

Also, Gainey sure has a way with the media, doesn't he?
- On arriving, he said the players would get better, wether they like it or not. (Yeah!)
- Later he called out the boo birds on the Brisebois situation. Now Brisebois is having a very good year. Coincidence ? I think not.
- In December, he held a press conference, which helped the team turn the corner, IMO. First, he said that one advantage we had over the other teams battling for a playoff spot was that we had a top-five goalie. He was right, and he probably boosted Theo's morale quite a bit with that. Then, and this is the part I really liked, he said all the team needed was to go on a hot streak and win 3 in a row, so that they could realize how good they are. (Yeah! You're right Bo!). I mean, even I was fired up and I imagine it had an even more positive impact on the players. And we all know what happened - the team "woke up" and really started playing up to its potential.

Add to that the handling of the late-summer Theodore "scandal" (we've hardly heard about it all year), the secretive dealings to land Kovalev, and his backing Julien (the right decision, it turns out), among othre things and you could say that, yes, I like Bob Gainey and what he's done as GM. :handclap:

mcphee 03-15-2004 02:23 PM

plus, he's cute as a button

Gros Bill 03-15-2004 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphee
plus, he's cute as a button

Sometimes, I wonder about you, McPhee.

Actually, make that "most of the time".

Darz 03-15-2004 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gros Bill
Sometimes, I wonder about you, McPhee.

Actually, make that "most of the time".

Put me down for 'ALL of the time'!!!

db23 03-15-2004 05:08 PM

Martin Ruscinsky had as many points as Kovalev with the Rangers when they were both traded, and a MUCH BETTER +-. I wouldn't hold your breath over Kovalev. Also, in terms of Gainey, he gave away (or bought out) Mariusz Czerkawski at the beginning of the year, and Czerkawski has MORE points than Kovalev playing for a poorer team.

Also, I noticed that they gave away Chad Kilger recently, while the guy that Savard "stole" him from the Oilers for, Sergei Zholtok, was one of the hottest commodities on the trade market. Plus Zholtok has played the whole time for less than half what Kilger earned. If there is anyone dumber than Gainey for giving Audette and Turrgeon a big contract, I guess it would have to be the guy who offered them MORE money at the time. Or the guy who took Donald The Debt off Gainey's hands. (For the same player [Rucinsky] who outperformed Kovalev in N.Y. this season, by the way). :dunno:

Guy Caballero 03-15-2004 05:24 PM

I like him because I can understand his French.

Moumni_Bachir 03-15-2004 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
I like him because I can understand his French.

Tellement, il devrait le sous-titrer quand il parle franšais!

electric 03-15-2004 06:19 PM

One difference between Gainey and Andre Savard as GM is that Gainey has a lot more experience and commands respect. Gainey would never let things go out of hands in his own team... last year the players had no respect for Therrien and Savard and the year was a miserable failure. Savard had to go as far as to come down in the dressing room to yell at the players that they put their uniforms to shame. Yet the veterans kept leading the way and by the end of the season no one was listening to Therrien anymore. But with Gainey, it's different. Gainey knows how to impose himself and make people respect him. When Gainey is angry at you for slacking off, you can't look at him in the eyes because he's intimidating. The players know that with Gainey upstairs, they have to work hard or they're going to get spanked.

And this is one of the many things that make this team so much better.