HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Speculation: Luongo unsure about his future with Van (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=622216)

RangerBoy 03-22-2009 10:25 AM

Luongo unsure about his future with Van

Quote:

But if Roberto Luongo's comments Saturday on Hockey Night in Canada's After Hours are any indication, the team's star goalie is not on board, yet.

Sometimes Luongo's honesty with the media gets him into some PR jams. That could be the case again this week after he went off the "We are all Cancuks" script when asked whether being captain will influence his decision to sign an extension.

"I don't think so. That's not something that's going to weigh on my decision," Luongo said.

He probably should have stopped there. What followed was something you probably don't want to hear from your star player and captain.

"I think first and foremost, I want to win the Cup and whichever team is going to give me the best chance to do that is the team I want to be with," Luongo said. "I love Vancouver, it's a great city with great fans. So far, I've really enjoyed my time there. Obviously, this year and next year are going to be a key role in my decision
"
Quote:

Most troubling, however, is Luongo's strong suggestion he is not thinking about signing an extension this summer.
http://communities.canada.com/thepro...vancouver.aspx

Another Luongo contract saga is brewing.Gilles Lupien needs to read his name in the paper.

dubey 03-22-2009 10:27 AM

He's signing with Toronto in 2010

PACaptain 03-22-2009 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubey (Post 18654321)

But they have Justin Pogge, why would they need Luongo?

The Fear Boners 03-22-2009 10:52 AM

Quote:

Along with Stamkos, Tavares, and every other canadian player ever.

I don't really blame him for his comments, he wants to win.

kmad 03-22-2009 10:56 AM

Quote:

But he said he wants to win a cup.

BillyShoe1721 03-22-2009 10:56 AM

He comes to Philadelphia he's guaranteed a cup.

Matt714* 03-22-2009 10:56 AM

Wasn't there rumors about the Sedins leaving Vancouver as well ?

I wouldn't mind seeing him in Detroit, if he takes a major discount.

oilersfan11 03-22-2009 10:59 AM

sucks to be vancouver the guy is a great goalie i believe top 3 in the league . I would love to see him in a oilers uniform but i really don't think that would really happen.

ranold26 03-22-2009 11:03 AM

Luongols to Morontreal :scared: in 5...4...3...2...

oilersfan11 03-22-2009 11:04 AM

Montreal is the number one place guarenteed he is not going because they already have good goalies there in halak and price what would be the point of having lu there to then . Also how much if lu dosen't resign with vancouver how much will he command in the money wise in the offseason of next yr

PACaptain 03-22-2009 11:06 AM

I think Roberto is just talking here. It's not a certainty he returns to Vancouver but if they continue to be contenders then I would assume he will stay.

Jaysfanatic* 03-22-2009 11:10 AM

Brodeur retires to give Luongo the reigns. HF boards explodes.

zepps 03-22-2009 11:11 AM

Thanks, Roberto. Now, Canucks fans are going to have to put up with this crap again.

In the afterhours interviews, his answer was in response to whether the captaincy would keep him Vancouver. When he was asked about his chances in Vancouver, he said he thought they were pretty good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt714 (Post 18654701)

I wouldn't mind seeing him in Detroit, if he takes a major discount.

Surrrrrrrrrrrre. He's just a top goalie in the game nothing special.

oilersfan11 03-22-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic (Post 18654863)
Brodeur retires to give Luongo the reigns. HF boards explodes.

that is something that i would really laugh at not because i don't think it can't happen i really actually could see that happening . New jersey is a great place if you want to win the cup , great coaching as well .

IslesBeBack* 03-22-2009 11:15 AM

I'll tell you whats going to happen:

Broduer retires and Luongo rides in with Louie to save the day.

Is this not a situation that is perfecto?

VelvetJones 03-22-2009 11:17 AM

Sounded like a message to Gillis, not the Vancouver fan base.

I wouldn't worry about it.

The Korean* 03-22-2009 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zepps (Post 18654892)
Thanks, Roberto. Now, Canucks fans are going to have to put up with this crap again.

In the afterhours interviews, his answer was in response to whether the captaincy would keep him Vancouver. When he was asked about his chances in Vancouver, he said he thought they were pretty good.

Surrrrrrrrrrrre. He's just a top goalie in the game nothing special.

If Hossa signed for 7.5mil, why not him?

Jaysfanatic* 03-22-2009 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting (Post 18654946)
I'll tell you whats going to happen:

Broduer retires and Luongo rides in with Louie to save the day.

Is this not a situation that is perfecto?

pretty much. I'd laugh harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd if that happened. Of course Louie could sign a two year deal, wait for Marty's contract to expire and then come to the Devils.

Volcanologist 03-22-2009 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrokeBearMountain (Post 18654648)
Along with Stamkos, Tavares, and every other canadian player ever.

Fair enough, but it's not just the Leafs -- you will see plenty of "Luongo wants to come home to Montreal" threads starting soon.

Jaysfanatic* 03-22-2009 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonacoBlue (Post 18655053)
Sounds like Luongo is leaving the door open to go to Detroit, all the while putting pressure on the Nucks to open the vault...

That'd be quite the coup for the Red Wings.

The Devils will wait for Steve Mason.

MonacoBlue 03-22-2009 11:24 AM

Sounds like Luongo is leaving the door open to go to Detroit, all the while putting pressure on the Nucks to open the vault...

Richter35 03-22-2009 11:25 AM

mercenary 1 yr deal to detroit to win the cup, signs next year with the highest bidder because he "achieved his goal", plays on mediocre teams the rest of his career.

2 Late 2 Anton 03-22-2009 11:27 AM

"The White Towel"? That's got to be one of the worst names I've for a blog that I've ever heard.

zepps 03-22-2009 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Korean (Post 18655016)
If Hossa signed for 7.5mil, why not him?

Who knows? He's not Hossa, so we'll see what happens. The only problem I would have with Luongo signing elsewhere is with other teams fans on this board thinking that he should take a discount to play with them.

If he chose to do that, good for whoever. It shouldn't be the expectation, though. It also reeks of arrogance: "Yeah, we'll take one of the best goalies in the game, as long as he takes a discount."

Hoss 03-22-2009 11:29 AM

The Canucks have a very promising goal tender in development who will be able to take the reins when Lu moves on. The team only needs to sign a vet to share the load/tandem with Schneider. Until then it's business as usual.