HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Scary evening for me (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=622492)

LTNINGFan 03-23-2009 12:19 AM

Scary evening for me
 
So today was the opening day of the spring roller hockey season and I was pretty excited. New team, new teamates, nice warm day. But with an outdoor rink, it was a a little too warm, but that was ok. Everyone else seemed pretty excited as well, as we had quite a few new players out which was enough for us to have one more team than we had in the winter session. In this area, one more team is a success.

Fast forward to 12 minutes into the first period. We only had 2 subs, and we were getting shelled already 4-0. We were running all over the place, out of position, bad turnovers, you name it. on my second shift of the game, the puck goes down into our end and one of our D-men tried to clear it with a half slapper in front of our own net. The other teams forward puts his stick out and when the puck came off the opposing players stick as he was poke checking, the deflection came up and got me in the left eye. I was only 10-15 feet away, so my reaction time was, well, none.

After a trip to the nearby ER, and 3 hours later, I am lucky to still have my vision. A nice black eye is on the way, and a couple of nice cuts above and below my eye. Lots of swelling, and pain right now, but i am managing to ignore it to a point. if i can keep my eyesight, that stuff is nothing.

I have a cage I bought over a year ago, and just didn't wear it because I couldn't get used to looking out of it trying to search for the puck. I am now going to get used to it as soon as possible.

While in the ER, my 8 year daughter comes in, and sees me and my face in a wreck. The look on her face told me she was just as scared as I was. I knew right then, that I want to make sure that I want to be able to look at both my daughters, without any issues.

I will miss the clear vision of a regular helmet, but I thank God that I was lucky this time. Lesson learned, as I consider that as my first, and final warning.

Grave77digger 03-23-2009 12:25 AM

Pics of your mangled face or it didnt happen! :D

ClicheGuevara 03-23-2009 12:26 AM

Glad to hear all you got out of it was a black eye and some scrapes. Eye injuries are no joke. Have you tried out different cages? Some align to your eye differently and provide a clearer view. Some, like the cage my RBK6k came with, put a fat bar directly in the middle of your vision.

Gunnar Stahl 30 03-23-2009 12:35 AM

maybe even a half shield or full shield. you play in the warm weather so you wont have to worry about it fogging up

adaminnj 03-23-2009 12:42 AM

I thought you where going to say you had an issue on the ice.

I'm glad your eye will heal.
I will always ware a cage. I have a lot of friends how have all been hit in the face with either a puck or a stick and not a shot or a stick was their own fault.

In the Tae Kwan Do bizz there is a saying, their is no more dangers person in the Dojan than a white belt.

the_speedster 03-23-2009 12:44 AM

what a wimp! everyone knows only ******* and show offs wear visors!:sarcasm:


welcome to the club ;) enjoy your vision


I use the oakley vc920 http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c...2043_303847190
my eyes are completely unobstructed and jaw has the protection of the metal cage

one of my teammates swears that this is better though

oakley vr832 http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c...2043_304730700

the bottom line is that technology has improved hockey equipment, visors included. I highly doubt that after a game or two, you'll notice the visor.. good luck :)

LTNINGFan 03-23-2009 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grave77digger (Post 18668247)
Pics of your mangled face or it didnt happen! :D


Sure thing Grave. Later in the day on Monday I will get the wifey to get a good one :)

LTNINGFan 03-23-2009 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adaminnj (Post 18668342)
I thought you where going to say you had an issue on the ice.

I'm glad your eye will heal.
I will always ware a cage. I have a lot of friends how have all been hit in the face with either a puck or a stick and not a shot or a stick was their own fault.

In the Tae Kwan Do bizz there is a saying, their is no more dangers person in the Dojan than a white belt.

No, I was planning on going to do the ice out of town tomorrow, but I think I'll take it easy and let the meds take over for a few days, but I am anxious to get back out and playing again.:D

LTNINGFan 03-23-2009 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 (Post 18668311)
maybe even a half shield or full shield. you play in the warm weather so you wont have to worry about it fogging up

Well, it was warm today anyway. In the 70's with the gear on made for a warmer than usual day :)

Now, I do have a half visor that someone gave me years ago. I could always try it out goofing around the driveway with it, but as far as the quality of it, I don't know...

LTNINGFan 03-23-2009 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClicheGuevara (Post 18668237)
Glad to hear all you got out of it was a black eye and some scrapes. Eye injuries are no joke. Have you tried out different cages? Some align to your eye differently and provide a clearer view. Some, like the cage my RBK6k came with, put a fat bar directly in the middle of your vision.

The cage that I have came with a CCM helmet I bought at a great price from (I think) hockeygiant.com. Its bars arent too close together from what I remember.

I will have to look at the helmet and cage to remember the model...

LTNINGFan 03-23-2009 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_speedster (Post 18668366)
what a wimp! everyone knows only ******* and show offs wear visors!:sarcasm:


welcome to the club ;) enjoy your vision


I use the oakley vc920 http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c...2043_303847190
my eyes are completely unobstructed and jaw has the protection of the metal cage

one of my teammates swears that this is better though

oakley vr832 http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c...2043_304730700

the bottom line is that technology has improved hockey equipment, visors included. I highly doubt that after a game or two, you'll notice the visor.. good luck :)

I am glad to become a part of the growing Wimp Family:laugh:

Those you posted look great.

Now how much more scratch resistant are they from, say, 5-10 years ago?

190Octane 03-23-2009 09:16 AM

It seems like whenever I was about to take off my cage I saw somebody get cranked in the face with a stick or puck and I never bothered to take it off.

BadHammy* 03-23-2009 09:45 AM

Note to self, wear face protection! There's no need to try and act tough when it comes to losing an eye. Screw that.

itsjustsurvival 03-23-2009 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTNINGFan (Post 18668530)
I am glad to become a part of the growing Wimp Family:laugh:

Those you posted look great.

Now how much more scratch resistant are they from, say, 5-10 years ago?

I have the half shield half cage posted above. I have had it about 2.5 years and haven't had much issues with scratching. I play mainly ice but play roller pretty frequently. Its perfect for roller, kind of annoying for ice since it will fog up from time to time but isn't too bad.

Homerocks* 03-23-2009 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTNINGFan (Post 18668195)
So today was the opening day of the spring roller hockey season and I was pretty excited. New team, new teamates, nice warm day. But with an outdoor rink, it was a a little too warm, but that was ok. Everyone else seemed pretty excited as well, as we had quite a few new players out which was enough for us to have one more team than we had in the winter session. In this area, one more team is a success.

Fast forward to 12 minutes into the first period. We only had 2 subs, and we were getting shelled already 4-0. We were running all over the place, out of position, bad turnovers, you name it. on my second shift of the game, the puck goes down into our end and one of our D-men tried to clear it with a half slapper in front of our own net. The other teams forward puts his stick out and when the puck came off the opposing players stick as he was poke checking, the deflection came up and got me in the left eye. I was only 10-15 feet away, so my reaction time was, well, none.

After a trip to the nearby ER, and 3 hours later, I am lucky to still have my vision. A nice black eye is on the way, and a couple of nice cuts above and below my eye. Lots of swelling, and pain right now, but i am managing to ignore it to a point. if i can keep my eyesight, that stuff is nothing.

I have a cage I bought over a year ago, and just didn't wear it because I couldn't get used to looking out of it trying to search for the puck. I am now going to get used to it as soon as possible.

While in the ER, my 8 year daughter comes in, and sees me and my face in a wreck. The look on her face told me she was just as scared as I was. I knew right then, that I want to make sure that I want to be able to look at both my daughters, without any issues.

I will miss the clear vision of a regular helmet, but I thank God that I was lucky this time. Lesson learned, as I consider that as my first, and final warning.

Cages are good.

I feel your pain. I suffered a similar injury a few years back while getting two handed in the eye, except i also detached my retina, tore it in 6 spots, and I also split the lens of my eye. I had little to no vision for months. :amazed:

Numerous laser and cryo surgeries later, I have vision, but you surely learn your lesson! I've worn a visor or cage since.

Here is my eye post injury/pre surgery:
http://image63.webshots.com/763/5/29...8zIeKRF_ph.jpg

WhipNash27 03-23-2009 10:25 AM

I've always wore face protection, but one time I was at open hockey messing around with some of my buddies. I figured it was hot, so I'd take off my helmet, there were only a few of us anyway. Got an accidental stick to the lip (my tooth engraved into my lip). I had a fat lip for a week. Lesson learned, I never get on the ice without my shield/cage combo ever again.

LTNINGFan 03-23-2009 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homerocks (Post 18670300)
Cages are good.

I feel your pain. I suffered a similar injury a few years back while getting two handed in the eye, except i also detached my retina, tore it in 6 spots, and I also split the lens of my eye. I had little to no vision for months. :amazed:

Numerous laser and cryo surgeries later, I have vision, but you surely learn your lesson! I've worn a visor or cage since.

Here is my eye post injury/pre surgery:
http://image63.webshots.com/763/5/29...8zIeKRF_ph.jpg

Homer, sorry to hear about your accident. Much much worse than mine. Glad youre better

(the pic didn't come thru on my end, anyone else?)

LTNINGFan 03-23-2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 (Post 18670550)
I've always wore face protection, but one time I was at open hockey messing around with some of my buddies. I figured it was hot, so I'd take off my helmet, there were only a few of us anyway. Got an accidental stick to the lip (my tooth engraved into my lip). I had a fat lip for a week. Lesson learned, I never get on the ice without my shield/cage combo ever again.

..and just when you think you can let your guard down (no pun intended) and "relax" in a way, and still have something happen. In a situation like that, I think I would be so pissed at myself.

Glad it wasn't any worse for you Dubi.

Homerocks* 03-23-2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTNINGFan (Post 18670866)
Homer, sorry to hear about your accident. Much much worse than mine. Glad youre better

(the pic didn't come thru on my end, anyone else?)

Let me retry to post it.

http://thumb18.webshots.net/t/62/662...8JiXnLe_th.jpg

It is hard to tell in the pic, but the lens of my eye is actually filled with blood, so I saw nothing but red/brown for weeks until the blood finally drained.

LTNINGFan 03-23-2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homerocks (Post 18671068)
Let me retry to post it.

http://thumb18.webshots.net/t/62/662...8JiXnLe_th.jpg

It is hard to tell in the pic, but the lens of my eye is actually filled with blood, so I saw nothing but red/brown for weeks until the blood finally drained.

Holy crap! Man, that hurts just to look at it...

So your vision now is ok, I hope?

Homerocks* 03-23-2009 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTNINGFan (Post 18672743)
Holy crap! Man, that hurts just to look at it...

So your vision now is ok, I hope?

I have my vision back now, but I have some floaters, and my pupil doesn't open and close all the way, but it's not too much of a problem. I just have to regularly have my retina checked out in case the tears reopen. If they do, I'll just have to have laser surgery again.

It's quite fun actually! They stab a needle in your eyeball, they then pry your eyeball half out of your head while shooting lasers onto your retina from behind your eyeball all while you're awake. It's a bit painful, but things could be worse. :shakehead

LTNINGFan 03-23-2009 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homerocks (Post 18676010)
I have my vision back now, but I have some floaters, and my pupil doesn't open and close all the way, but it's not too much of a problem. I just have to regularly have my retina checked out in case the tears reopen. If they do, I'll just have to have laser surgery again.

It's quite fun actually! They stab a needle in your eyeball, they then pry your eyeball half out of your head while shooting lasers onto your retina from behind your eyeball all while you're awake. It's a bit painful, but things could be worse. :shakehead

That, my friend, truly makes my hair stand on end...I hope it heals to the point where you'll never have to go thru that procedure again:speechles

Grave77digger 03-24-2009 02:56 PM

:hockey:Ya I split my eye brow open when a puck hopped into my face. After that I wore a visor. Then I had a couple teeth removed via a puck to the mouth... but im still not wearing a cage. I already lost the 2 teeth that needed protecting! OH and then my visor broke my nose when a team mate collided with me and his shoulder went into my cheek which caused the visor to ride up my nose. Any way you slice it hockey is painfull no matter what you wear.

McNasty 03-24-2009 03:11 PM

I used to hate my cage until I saw somebody catch a roller hockey puck square in the face, he lost 3 teeth broke his nose. Always used to hate my dad for saying this but its true, if your not getting paid to play there is nothing tough about not wearing a cage.

LTNINGFan 03-24-2009 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grave77digger (Post 18689557)
:hockey:Ya I split my eye brow open when a puck hopped into my face. After that I wore a visor. Then I had a couple teeth removed via a puck to the mouth... but im still not wearing a cage. I already lost the 2 teeth that needed protecting! OH and then my visor broke my nose when a team mate collided with me and his shoulder went into my cheek which caused the visor to ride up my nose. Any way you slice it hockey is painfull no matter what you wear.

That's rough, Grave. But you're right. There's always a risk, one way or the other.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.