HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Hemsky Feels Underappreciated (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=622810)

SqueakyBrad 03-24-2009 07:25 AM

Hemsky Feels Underappreciated
 
QUOTE

"I'm just trying to do exactly what they want. I'm becoming a checker," he said with obvious displeasure after Monday's practice. "We're just doing what we have to do to win games. I'm not complaining. It's important to win the games. I just don't feel as important as I did before when they were riding me. I don't feel they use me as much as they did before. If they don't give me the confidence or trust me, I will never be playing the way I was before, the way they want.

"I'm just saying I don't care about points. I know I didn't play my best hockey. I can be better and I know they will need me. But they have got to show me they need me. Ride me. It's 10 games. I will feel important and I will get better every game."

The Human Torch 03-24-2009 07:28 AM

link?

SqueakyBrad 03-24-2009 07:32 AM

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Sport...448/story.html

Oilerdiehard 03-24-2009 07:32 AM

Wow when did he say that?

I assume coming from you SB it was on the Team 1260?

I do not know what is happening there. But Hemmer has to admit he has been all kinds of awful lately. He has started doing regularly what he seemed to get out of his game the last couple years. Giving the puck away at bad times in his own zone. He has not been getting much done offensively at all. He just seems so unfocused the last 10 or 12 games IMO. Which is obviously during a time when we needed him badly holding on to a playoff spot by a thread.

As much as I am definitely not a big rah rah MacT supporter. When Hemsky is on and playing well he is always the go to guy. I mean when Gags scores on almost a goal per game basis for 8 or 10 games. You have to play that hot hand. I would have thought Hemsky would be glad to finally have some offensive support.

SqueakyBrad 03-24-2009 07:33 AM

Yesterday, i just posted the link from today's Edmonton Journal. Article was written by Dan Barnes.

The Human Torch 03-24-2009 07:35 AM

Thanks for the link, I missed that article yesterday.

Wow, interesting read.

Psycho Dad 03-24-2009 07:39 AM

You can't ride a lame horse. Hemmer should know that on a MacTeam, effort and performance are rewarded with more playing time - not the other way around.

VelvetJones 03-24-2009 07:42 AM

I think Hemmer is the only one that could say something to the press that could get MacT fired during the summer.

Good for him.

bengood 03-24-2009 07:50 AM

I missed the Minny game but was Hemmer been dropped off of the 1st line or been benched or something?

Seems to my memory he had been getting his regular ice-time (PP#1 and 1st line minutes) but just kinda slumping... I don't know that I agree with him on this one (from a fan POV at any rate)..

nwo4life 03-24-2009 07:51 AM

"I'm just trying to do exactly what they want. I'm becoming a checker,"

That line sums up everything you need to know about MacT's coaching style.

bengood 03-24-2009 07:54 AM

Hemsky sounds like a sniveling baby in that quote.

And i friggin LOVE hemsky.

nwo4life 03-24-2009 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bengood (Post 18684129)
Hemsky sounds like a sniveling baby in that quote.

And i friggin LOVE hemsky.

Agree. Totally out of character for him. Reveals how truly frustrated he must be.

Dirt McGirt 03-24-2009 08:02 AM

Fire MacT? :sarcasm:

Peak Oil 03-24-2009 08:04 AM

What a surprising set of quotes - and horrendous timing. Hemsky has really struggled the last set of games, that's ok, players go through highs and lows. He's still been the fulcrum of the 1st line and the powerplay. He's given every license to play his game. However, if he thinks he can just dangle, turnover the puck and repeatedly give up prime opportunities at the other end of the ice, then he's simply wrong. That's not good hockey - he's better than that. Yet that's what's been happening a lot lately. To blame the team/coach for his shoddy play is surprising to say the least. If he just needs a big hug and kiss and to be told 'its ok', then sure. But why do this to the press at this critical time?

Ghostbuster 03-24-2009 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nwo4life (Post 18684116)
"I'm just trying to do exactly what they want. I'm becoming a checker,"

That line sums up everything you need to know about MacT's coaching style.

Yeah that was the lol quote for me.

I truly hope this helps lead to some coaching changes.

CGYPUKSUX 03-24-2009 08:15 AM

That quote explains why this team is a loser and will never go anywhere. It also says a lot about Hemsky and what leadership he brings to this team. There was a tread a while back that asked where Hemsky could lead this team and I said that he would do with the team the same thing he does with the puck; circle endlessly and never take it to the next level. Poor Ales doesn't get it. Great players have complete games. When they aren't contributing on the offensive side of the puck they are checking and keeping the puck out of the net. He comes off as a whiny pouting primadonna, which is exactly the last thing this team needs. You want to know why quality players avoid Edmonton like the plague? Read what the team's best player has to say about playing two way hockey ad think about how that would impact winning. Hossa would take less to play in Detroit, where he is expected to play two-way hockey, than he would take to play here. I guess he can smell a loser two thousand miles away.

Digger12 03-24-2009 08:19 AM

Oi'll Say is going to LOVE this. ;)

Antidote 03-24-2009 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nwo4life (Post 18684116)
"I'm just trying to do exactly what they want. I'm becoming a checker,"

That line sums up everything you need to know about MacT's coaching style.

Wonder what Eberle thinks of his new contract now...."just what I always wanted to be - a checker".

Jimmi Jenkins 03-24-2009 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert Oil (Post 18684273)
That quote explains why this team is a loser and will never go anywhere. It also says a lot about Hemsky and what leadership he brings to this team. There was a tread a while back that asked where Hemsky could lead this team and I said that he would do with the team the same thing he does with the puck; circle endlessly and never take it to the next level. Poor Ales doesn't get it. Great players have complete games. When they aren't contributing on the offensive side of the puck they are checking and keeping the puck out of the net. He comes off as a whiny pouting primadonna, which is exactly the last thing this team needs. You want to know why quality players avoid Edmonton like the plague? Read what the team's best player has to say about playing two way hockey ad think about how that would impact winning. Hossa would take less to play in Detroit, where he is expected to play two-way hockey, than he would take to play here. I guess he can smell a loser two thousand miles away.

No you don't get it.

It actually says more about his character that he wants to be the guy, that he's upset that's he's not able to do more.

But hey, don't let reality cloud that inferiority complex you've got going on, it seems to work well for you.

Seriously, he's a player who's struggling at the most important part of the season, and you want him to what? Be happy with is situation?

I am the Liquor 03-24-2009 08:25 AM

If he is becoming a checker, he sure isnt becoming a very good one. His giveaways have been brutal in the last few games. It is obvious to everyone around here that something has been wrong with his game the last month or so. Sounds like he isnt liking what the coach is selling. In a Hemsky vs Mactavish standoff who wins that battle? I am hoping Hemsky but I doubt it very much. Wait-is he saying that Mact is trying to make him into a grinder? That would never happen here.:laugh:

Woodguy 03-24-2009 08:27 AM

Wow.

Hemsky has consistently been in the top 3 forwards for EVTOI and PPTOI. What more does he want?

I am not a MacTavish fan, but every coach is going to ask him not to do the really risky plays that result in odd man rushes when he turns it over.

MacTavish is asking him to be more like Zetterburg or Datsyuk, and Hemsky is saying he wants to be Briere.

Full points for honesty, but yeesh.

Man up Ales and back check like the elite players do.

metallicat 03-24-2009 08:28 AM

Why doesn't he just go out and play his own game then? Screw what the coach tells him. If what he does best can produce points, what is MacT going to do about it? Bench a PPG producer? He's been invisible recently, to the point where I've lost a lot of faith in him. Show me you can do it Ales.

Schitzo 03-24-2009 08:29 AM

I wonder how much of this goes back to being left out of the shootout last week when we lined up 19-21-89

eastcoasteh 03-24-2009 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins (Post 18684315)
No you don't get it.

It actually says more about his character that he wants to be the guy, that he's upset that's he's not able to do more.

But hey, don't let reality cloud that inferiority complex you've got going on, it seems to work well for you.

Seriously, he's a player who's struggling at the most important part of the season, and you want him to what? Be happy with is situation?

I agree. He's clearly saying he wants to be the leader, but to do so, he needs to be allowed to be a bit more creative which may include a few turnovers. I for one am all for his line of thinking. I think Horc can be the defensive conscience on that line, and let Hemmer be Hemer. It's not like he's been terrible defensively anyway.

Sounds to me like he's been asked to play with handcuffs on, and he's just saying, he can do more. Remebmer, english is not his native tongue either.

Woodguy 03-24-2009 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metallicat (Post 18684354)
Why doesn't he just go out and play his own game then? Screw what the coach tells him. If what he does best can produce points, what is MacT going to do about it? Bench a PPG producer? He's been invisible recently, to the point where I've lost a lot of faith in him. Show me you can do it Ales.

I think he has been "playing his own game" recently, and the coach pointed out that his line is giving up more than they are creating.

If the puck was going in for that line recently, none of this gets said.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.