HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   I just tried the new FBV skate sharpening (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=623108)

DJnet65 03-24-2009 09:31 PM

I just tried the new FBV skate sharpening
 
... and I have to say i am quite impressed it. For anyone who has an opportunity to get an FBV skate sharpening I would definitely recommend it.

I'm getting a great glide while still keeping a sharp turn and hard stop. For a skate sharpening I definitely feel like I have more control than I had before. Makes skating that much easier.

Has anyone else tried using a FBV sharpening? What are other people's experiences with it?

Gunnar Stahl 30 03-24-2009 09:54 PM

what is the proccess of it? im not too familiar with the sharpening too much. do you need specific sharpener to get it done?

CptKirk 03-24-2009 10:14 PM

I want to try it.

For he uninformed, it's explained in this thread on mod squad:
http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums...howtopic=42307

basically, the wheel is dressed with a diamond cutter spinner that can have any shape, not just the arc of a circle. So they cut it so the bottom of the blade is flat in the middle with narrow edges on both sides that gives you the grip of a 3/8" sharpening, but the glide of a 2" radius.

DJnet65 03-24-2009 10:16 PM

This is a technical document from Blackstone.

http://www.flatbottomv.com/technical_data.pdf

No icing Sports offers this sharpening

http://noicingsports.com/fbv.html

TBLfan 03-24-2009 11:05 PM

Been on it for months.

I wouldn't let noicingsports touch my skates if they paid me.

Saved 03-24-2009 11:43 PM

Anyone know of a place in Ottawa that does this? I'm interested in trying.

Hamilton35 03-25-2009 10:41 AM

So is there no adjustment needed? In the video the guy just puts the skate on and go. From my experience, this rarely works out.

Dont really see anything special about this. If you suck at dressing a wheel then maybe...

vivianmb 03-25-2009 10:50 AM

i own a skate machine(wissota611).
i skate at 3/4-7/8 "already.
after looking over the data there is not much difference when you are using the bigger radius(radii??)like i do .
however,i see a huge difference if you are going with 3/8" or even 1/2".

TBLfan 03-25-2009 11:58 AM

There is a huge difference.

DevilsFan38 03-25-2009 02:56 PM

It sounds interesting, but my skating still needs a *lot* of work, so I've been wondering if I'd even notice a big difference at my beginner stage, or if it would be better to wait until I can appreciate it more.

And I have no idea if any places in northern Jersey do it, which could also put a damper on trying it out.

Gunnar Stahl 30 03-25-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 (Post 18707303)
It sounds interesting, but my skating still needs a *lot* of work, so I've been wondering if I'd even notice a big difference at my beginner stage, or if it would be better to wait until I can appreciate it more.

And I have no idea if any places in northern Jersey do it, which could also put a damper on trying it out.

yea i would just use the normal 1/2 inch cut if you arent fully comfortable on all your edges. once you get comfortable you can tweak your skating by switching the hollow

CanadaBacon 03-26-2009 02:30 AM

Im using a 90/75, think i might go up a level for a bit more bite. Just a tad too much glide. Mind you, still much better then a standard.

vivianmb 03-26-2009 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBLfan (Post 18704494)
There is a huge difference.

what cut do you skate with?
and how soft is the ice you skate on ?

speedskater 03-27-2009 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBLfan (Post 18699517)
Been on it for months.

I wouldn't let noicingsports touch my skates if they paid me.

What did you have done there and why didn't you like it?

bladoww 03-27-2009 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedskater (Post 18732895)
What did you have done there and why didn't you like it?

I've used them several times and they've actually been very good to me.

Hugh Madbrough 03-27-2009 09:37 AM

Noicing has been good to me as well.

TBLfan 03-27-2009 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedskater (Post 18732895)
What did you have done there and why didn't you like it?

...Being that he's telling skaters to get their skates drastically profiled upon a questionnaire, no thanks. Being that I personally know two people that were looking to get work done, one a B level player, one a beginner... and oddly enough they both needed the same profile done, despite one being a great skater and the other can barely stop... It's a scam. Everyone needs a slight to medium forward pitch and a compound radius. Why? Because no one locally can do it, so you have to come to me.

RobertKron 03-27-2009 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamilton35 (Post 18703491)
So is there no adjustment needed? In the video the guy just puts the skate on and go. From my experience, this rarely works out.

Dont really see anything special about this. If you suck at dressing a wheel then maybe...

If you're skating on 3/8", say, the only adjustment if you get the equivalent to a 3/8" edge would be adjusting to the better glide.

speedskater 03-27-2009 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBLfan (Post 18733775)
...Being that he's telling skaters to get their skates drastically profiled upon a questionnaire, no thanks. Being that I personally know two people that were looking to get work done, one a B level player, one a beginner... and oddly enough they both needed the same profile done, despite one being a great skater and the other can barely stop... It's a scam. Everyone needs a slight to medium forward pitch and a compound radius. Why? Because no one locally can do it, so you have to come to me.

So, what you are saying is you never had your skates sharpened there. And the two people you know who "looked" into getting their skates proflied, somehow got recommended a similar profile, but didn't get their skates done either. Hearsay,... wow, that gives me a lot of confidence that you know what you are talking about.

I had my skates done there 6 yrs ago and it made a huge difference, with a regular radius. A couple of yrs ago I changed to a combination profile and loved it. I plan on getting a FBV soon. I have nothing but great things to say about No-Icing, as does basically my whole team who sends there skates there. When I saw your post, I figured it was someone who never used their service

DJnet65 03-27-2009 11:08 PM

All I have to say about No Icing Sports is this,

I will never have to have this experience again.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=544521

Before i was content with sharpening that were mediocre and ok.

No Icings sharpenings are nothing short of amazing.

After having my runners profiled and sharpened they fixed all my problems and then some.

Heat McManus 03-27-2009 11:34 PM

The FBV is pretty badass.

CanadaBacon 03-27-2009 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJnet65 (Post 18745369)
All I have to say about No Icing Sports is this,

I will never have to have this experience again.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=544521

Before i was content with sharpening that were mediocre and ok.

No Icings sharpenings are nothing short of amazing.

After having my runners profiled and sharpened they fixed all my problems and then some.


Profiling dont make you "better" per se, they just help you improve your game. There is no "game changing" sharpenings. If you can skate well, you can skate well. If you cant, you cant. Really bad sharpenings can hurt your game, but im talking really BAD!

Heat McManus 03-27-2009 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadaBacon (Post 18745751)
Profiling dont make you "better" per se, they just help you improve your game. There is no "game changing" sharpenings. If you can skate well, you can skate well. If you cant, you cant. Really bad sharpenings can hurt your game, but im talking really BAD!

once you've had a really GOOD sharpening, every other sharpening is really BAD

CanadaBacon 03-27-2009 11:44 PM

True, BUT they dont make you a worse player. You might notice the **** job, but you will compensate. Unless it is a really BAD, BAD job.

Timmer44 03-27-2009 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadaBacon (Post 18745877)
True, BUT they dont make you a worse player. You might notice the **** job, but you will compensate. Unless it is a really BAD, BAD job.

I disagree. Better skaters will definitely feel bad sharpenings. Even the slightest change will throw someone off.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.