HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   new stick-new flex?? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=623131)

jminor 03-24-2009 10:23 PM

new stick-new flex??

I have used an ST Sakic 100 flex for a couple of seasons and do love it but here are the cons for me: it is harsh picking up passes and occasionally when passing in close the puck lifts on me (my fault). It has been a durable good stick and I would buy another. I am now getting a Bauer XXV to try with a naslund curve and am wondering if I should switch to an 87 flex. I am 185, 5'11". I have tried an 87 easton before and found it flimsier than my 100 flex, partly from the flex obviously and the stick was not as good either. I do notice that the 100 is firm. Is it worth trying to get used to the whip of the 87 vs 100 or just go with what I know?Will I ultimately have a harder shot and will it be as durable? I am also wondering about the lower kick point of the xxv vs the ST maybe the extra flex of the 102 vs the 87 will be a good thing for me, the 87 may feel way too flimsy..Thanks for all input

noobman 03-24-2009 10:52 PM

Two questions:

1) Are you a defenseman or a forward?
2) Do you plan on cutting your stick down?

Defensemen tend to take more slapshots, so it would make sense to get a stiffer stick. Your post makes you sound like a forward though, in which case you'd probably prefer wrist shots and thus a weaker flex. It all comes down to preference really. I'm 6'2 190lb and I prefer a minimum flex of 100.

Also note that the stiffness of your stick increases when you cut it down. The top of my stick has markings for you to cut at which indicate the new flex. It is by default a 100 flex, and I believe it can be cut down short enough to be a 106 flex before compromising the stick's integrity (I've had tape over it for a long time so it's unreadable lol).

Could you explain what you mean by picking up passes being "harsh"? That might have more to do with the feel you get from your blade due to its composition than the flex of the stick. My advice is to try it yourself. Switching to a whippy stick will require some adjustment, but with your weight and height you will probably get a faster shot out of it -- provided that your technique is good, of course.

jminor 03-24-2009 11:57 PM

I am a forward, I cut 2-3" off the stick. What I mean by passes being harsh is you can feel the pass through the stick and the puck can bounce off the blade. I am thinking with more give in an 87 flex it will absorb the impact better but I may be wrong..

Gunnar Stahl 30 03-25-2009 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jminor (Post 18700160)
I am a forward, I cut 2-3" off the stick. What I mean by passes being harsh is you can feel the pass through the stick and the puck can bounce off the blade. I am thinking with more give in an 87 flex it will absorb the impact better but I may be wrong..

fyi. if you cut the stick, it will be stiffer. if you got an 87 flex, it would be like a 95(ish)

cptjeff 03-25-2009 12:27 AM

Your passes being harsh issue is because you're using a cheap stick without much feel in the blade. A softer flex can help with that though.

190Octane 03-25-2009 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cptjeff (Post 18700490)
Your passes being harsh issue is because you're using a cheap stick without much feel in the blade. A softer flex can help with that though.

I just went from a 85-95 flex to a 110 and I feel I'm receiving passes way better now.

jminor 03-25-2009 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cptjeff (Post 18700490)

I didnt think that a synergy ST is a cheap stick but OK..

jminor 03-25-2009 09:33 AM

which flex has the potential for a harder shot, 87 or 102?

Gunnar Stahl 30 03-25-2009 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jminor (Post 18702819)
which flex has the potential for a harder shot, 87 or 102?

depends how strong you are. if you arent strong enough to use a higher flex, or dont like using a higher flex, it wont help your shot. if you are strong enough and feel comfortable using a high flex i would say the higher flex would give you a harder shot

like i said before, you are going to cut it 2-3 inches to that 102 flex will probably be around a 110

jminor 03-26-2009 09:42 AM

well I just bought a vapor xxv pattern 92 87 flex, how do you guys compare it to my synergy ST Sakic curve? What are the thoughts on the low kick, big difference?

WhipNash27 03-26-2009 01:37 PM

Personally I don't think the flex makes too big of a difference when you're jumping up or down by 10 or so (a big jump is another story). If you have good leg & core strength and proper form you will have a good slap shot. Changing your flex will probably only give you a slight change in speed. I have 75 & 85 flex sticks, both Warrior and both the same length (not altered) with the same curve. The 85 is heavier than the 75. I don't notice any difference in the speed of my shot from one stick to the other. Of course you also don't want to have a flex that you can't bend at all. Then you can't load the shaft at all.

I guess in theory if you have the strength to load a stiffer shaft, the energy that the shaft will spring back with will be greater than a more flexible shaft.