HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Brian Leetch - Bryan McCabe! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=62353)

leafaholix* 03-15-2004 09:08 PM

Brian Leetch - Bryan McCabe!

Leetch: 63 games, 13 goals, 30 assists, 43 points, -4
McCabe: 66 games, 15 goals, 33 assists, 48 points, +14

That's got to be the greatest 1-2 punch we've had on the blueline in years. They're both horses... Leetch played 29:18 vs. Buffalo and McCabe played 28:59. That's half the game.

Yes Im Peter Ing 03-15-2004 09:18 PM

I here by declare them: The Killer B's.

Hart_House_Ca 03-15-2004 09:28 PM

Leetch is Amazing. I love this guy. He's smart, mobile and always gets the puck to the net. 3 pts again tonight?

Now I can see why Ranger fans love this guy so much. Thank you Rangers.

Raging Bull 03-15-2004 09:29 PM

Oh Lordie, did you see those moves Leetch was pulling? He deked about 3 Sabres out of there hockey pants on the one play, and his other deke on Sundins first goal. Earlier this morning I was watching an old video, Sports Illustrated's Year In Sports 1994. Watching the Rangers vs Canucks series was amazing. It should be dubbed "Bure vs Leetch". This guys got a whole lot left in the tank and playing with McCabe is giving him his old kick. I can't wait to see him in the playoffs. This guy can throw his weight around too. Im so hyped for the playoffs to start!!! :yo: :yo:

leafaholix* 03-15-2004 09:33 PM

He's incredible.

McFly 03-15-2004 10:47 PM

That's a great pairing, and good at both ends of the ice. I'm alot more confident with them logging 26+ mins per game than any two guys we've had in past seasons.

Leaf Lander 03-16-2004 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yes Im Peter Ing

love it! :yo:

LeetchForever2 03-16-2004 02:07 AM

Us Ranger fans promised you he'd just need to settle in, you got someone special in receiving Brian Leetch.

leafaholix* 03-16-2004 02:17 AM

Leetch looks focused every time he's on the ice.

He just looks like he's there to play, no chatting or messing around.

Alert at all times.

MatsSundin13 03-16-2004 07:44 AM

Well i was really high on this guy as soon as i heard he was signed to the leafs...I mean i think Leetch is the best defencemen in the NHL and pairing him with a guy with a offensively gifted player like McCabe...AWESOME PAIRING there!

wasting time 03-16-2004 08:16 AM

Vaive wants to break up McCabe and Leetch. Rick is a nice guy but not the sharpest knife in the drawer. These 2 guys will be out there 28 minutes a game in the playoffs.

And oh by the way Pat. Leetch is not a penalty killer. He never was. Never will be. It's a nice experiment and all just to see what you have on the roster, but let's just move on now. Leetch playing 4 on 5 and blocking shots and getting tired is not a good thing. Hokay? :(

GD|eNSo 03-16-2004 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yes Im Peter Ing

Hehe, that's great!

Davisian 03-16-2004 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasting time
And oh by the way Pat. Leetch is not a penalty killer. He never was. Never will be. It's a nice experiment and all just to see what you have on the roster, but let's just move on now. Leetch playing 4 on 5 and blocking shots and getting tired is not a good thing. Hokay? :(

Actually, Leetch is an EXCELLENT penalty killer, always was..

The only part of his PK that's lacking is moving bodies out of the front, but that's what McCabe is for.. But positionaly, blocking shots, pressuring the puck, and getting it out in a hurry he's a bull..

Of course, it coul be argued that you do not want him on the PK to save him for the 5 on 5 and PP, but I'm always of the opinion that you put your best guys out there in all opportunities come playoff time..

dedalus 03-16-2004 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davisian
Actually, Leetch is an EXCELLENT penalty killer, always was..

The only part of his PK that's lacking is moving bodies out of the front, but that's what McCabe is for.. But positionaly, blocking shots, pressuring the puck, and getting it out in a hurry he's a bull..

Of course, it coul be argued that you do not want him on the PK to save him for the 5 on 5 and PP, but I'm always of the opinion that you put your best guys out there in all opportunities come playoff time..

Agreed. Leetch is an outstanding PK man, and his aerobic recovery time is so astonishingly high that a coach should never fear giving him all the ice time he wants.

On a side note, as a huuuuuge Leetch fan I'm pleased he's got the chance to win another Cup. I also think a full season next year with the Leafs and McCabe give him an excellent shot at another Norris trophy.

Snugglepuss 03-16-2004 11:49 AM

He's by the far the best the defenseman we've had since Salming.

Wow, was he ever good last night.

Red Horner* 03-16-2004 12:36 PM

They were great against a young inexperienced team like the Sabres, but when their faces are up against the glass all night against Philly in the playoffs. :cry:

Joey24 03-16-2004 01:53 PM

I like this duo.. I originally thought that maybe Quinn should leave Kaberle and McCabe together but I think Leetch has been amazing with McCabe and have become a great 1-2 punch. The Leetch pickup has proven to be extremely beneficial thus far for Toronto and I think he's still getting warmed up and use to the system as for your comment Red I would have to disagree. I don't think we'll see Philly do to Toronto what they did last year. And Toronto has alot more depth to play with I think the Defense is alot better then last year and the whole atmosphere around the team seems better. I think Toronto has as good a chance as any to make some serious notice in the playoffs this season. IMO Everything relies on Ed Belfour.

dedalus 03-16-2004 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Horner
They were great against a young inexperienced team like the Sabres, but when their faces are up against the glass all night against Philly in the playoffs. :cry:

Yeah. As I recall that's exactly what Flyers fans were saying of the Lidstrom/Murphy pairing way back in '97. Turns out the Legion of Doom never got close to establishing a forecheck because the puck was moved too quickly and too well.

007 03-16-2004 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey24
I don't think we'll see Philly do to Toronto what they did last year.

JD in the Rangers game yesterday quoted Ken Hitchcock saying that the Flyers have trouble handling Scott Niedermeyer, that he seems to get better when the Devils are down in the 3rd. Brian Leetch has the same clutch qualities. He could be just the guy to give Toronto the edge over Philly...

Red Horner* 03-16-2004 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007
JD in the Rangers game yesterday quoted Ken Hitchcock saying that the Flyers have trouble handling Scott Niedermeyer, that he seems to get better when the Devils are down in the 3rd. Brian Leetch has the same clutch qualities. He could be just the guy to give Toronto the edge over Philly...

Neidermayer had Stevens and White to protect him, Leetch doesn't have that support around him. Primeau, Brashere,Fedorok, Roenick go right over top of our defencemen, sad but true untill they prove this won't happen this year I don't see much change. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Verbal Kint* 03-16-2004 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Horner
Neidermayer had Stevens and White to protect him, Leetch doesn't have that support around him. Primeau, Brashere,Fedorok, Roenick go right over top of our defencemen, sad but true untill they prove this won't happen this year I don't see much change. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Of course you're wrong, since McCabe is as physical as they come. Are you sure you watch Leafs games?