HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   News Article: Knuble may not be a Flyer next year (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=623909)

MiamiScreamingEagles 03-27-2009 11:00 AM

Knuble may not be a Flyer next year
 
While this isn't startling, it is newsworthy nonetheless...

http://www.courierpostonline.com/art.../1017/sports04
Quote:


Right winger Mike Knuble realizes the better he plays this season the less chance he has of being a Flyer next season.

Knuble is fifth on the Flyers in goals (26) and third in power-play goals (10). In four seasons with the Flyers he's found the net 113 times. Only Simon Gagne (125) has scored more goals for the Flyers during that time.

The problem is Knuble's $2.8 million salary. Logic tells you he deserves a raise. The NHL salary cap, which is expected to decrease next season, will force the Flyers to offer him a significant pay cut or simply let him test free agency.

Knuble, a 36-year-old veteran of 12 NHL seasons, knows this.

"To be honest, I don't want to let my mind wander from trying to play here," Knuble said. "You saw it with R.J. (Umberger). They couldn't afford to pay what he was worth and he had to go off."

When the Flyers realized they were unable to sign Umberger last summer, they traded their leading goal scorer in the playoffs to Columbus, where he signed a four-year, $15 million contract.

sa cyred 03-27-2009 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles (Post 18734637)
While this isn't startling, it is newsworthy nonetheless...

http://www.courierpostonline.com/art.../1017/sports04

:( Im sad. I do like the guy. I wish he could take the same/little less of a contract just to stay. He gets first line duties + powerplay duty. But if it has to be, then it has to be

ELab2 03-27-2009 11:04 AM

I'm fine with that, after a slow start he's really ended up playing very well this year but we've got to make room to improve the team.

ForsbergIsOdin 03-27-2009 11:09 AM

Poor Knuble. He deserves to stay.

bennysflyers16 03-27-2009 11:09 AM

I would love for him to stay for dirt cheap, but this is going to be his last contract and he deserves to be paid. Wasn't there something about a low cap hit , bonus laden contract we could offer him because of his age ???

But I would understand if he wanted guaranteed $$$

IrishSniper87 03-27-2009 11:09 AM

It will be a shame, no doubt, but we have depth and JVR on his way up. To bad we signed Lupul to that contract though.

We can't maintain our balanced lineup forever, not if the cap goes down and we need to work on goaltending.

27roenick97 03-27-2009 11:12 AM

yeah, its really a shame, he is the epitome of a team guy, a gamer. basically, exactly the guy you want on a team.

i dunno what their cap situation is like, but it would be kind of fitting for him to end up in boston--him and savard or kreji would be pretty crazy.

i forget, has he even won the cup? i wasn't sure if he was on the roster for detroit when they won. if we end up close again, he might just go for another two more years at the same price. if thats the case, then we should do it and move lupul.

FlyHigh 03-27-2009 11:14 AM

It'd be a big loss, but he knows that this will be his last contract and that after that, the money won't really be flowing in anymore. I'd be surprised to see him stay.

EDIT: @27Roenick97, Boston might be worse off than we are.

Brophy 03-27-2009 11:17 AM

Holmgren said that they are working with him to get him at a good pay rate with Bonuses and incentives at the STH meeting. I think he will stay. Knuble, I think will take that and probably the same cap hit.

decadentia 03-27-2009 11:19 AM

This is one of those realities i've known for awhile, but tend to try and not think about (Much Like Knuble himself.)

I would much rather Knuble retire here as a Flyer, even if he becomes more of a utility player with less scoring touch. Unfortunately, with our cap situation, and in all likelihood the money he will command...it is not happening.

CanadianFlyer88 03-27-2009 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 27roenick97 (Post 18734784)
yeah, its really a shame, he is the epitome of a team guy, a gamer. basically, exactly the guy you want on a team.

i dunno what their cap situation is like, but it would be kind of fitting for him to end up in boston--him and savard or kreji would be pretty crazy.

i forget, has he even won the cup? i wasn't sure if he was on the roster for detroit when they won. if we end up close again, he might just go for another two more years at the same price. if thats the case, then we should do it and move lupul.

Yeah, he has one Cup with Detroit (1998).

I'll be pretty disappointed if he goes, but I understand that it's likely. I hope they can work something out for a one or two year deal, but I'm not holding my breath.

Lab Monkey 03-27-2009 11:23 AM

If he kicks around and maintains his solid play, im fine with that. However if he has to be shipped out and that means that Giroux plays with Gagne well... I love that.

Juicy Couturier* 03-27-2009 11:28 AM

I want him back...it will be a much bigger loss than people think if we lose him.

BerubeBox* 03-27-2009 11:39 AM

**** the salary cap. **** it in its ear.

dbr2 03-27-2009 11:42 AM

Us losing more Vets:shakehead

CanadianFlyer88 03-27-2009 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BerubeBox (Post 18735075)
**** the salary cap. **** it in its ear.

Once you go black, you go deaf?

Ri hards 03-27-2009 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 (Post 18735190)
Once you go black, you go deaf?

hahaha...you dirty *******.

TehBBA 03-27-2009 11:49 AM

22% less Knubling? :(

Jaydepps 03-27-2009 11:57 AM

Can't Knuble sign a contract with a ton of bonuses? Do bonuses ever count against the cap?

Ychocky 03-27-2009 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydepps (Post 18735327)
Can't Knuble sign a contract with a ton of bonuses? Do bonuses ever count against the cap?

I believe they count the next year.

The NHL has thought of everything.

Can't we pay his wife $2m for baking cookies or something? It goes to the same account...

Dig Out Your Soul 03-27-2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ychocky (Post 18735379)
I believe they count the next year.

The NHL has thought of everything.

Can't we pay his wife $2m for baking cookies or something? It goes to the same account...

I wonder if there's any rules against that. Hire his wife as some bogus executive and pay her a couple million a year.

BringBackStevens 03-27-2009 12:32 PM

I'd like to keep him but i think we are going to start seeing his play really drop off next year or the year after and for any more than what he's making now that could be a problem

GoneFullHextall 03-27-2009 12:35 PM

for all of his "knuble'd" I would still take him back. Trade Lupul for something and bring back Knuble.
But of course Holmer had to give Lupul that stupid ****ing contract.
Knuble is class all the way. Its too bad we cant bring him back.
what is that Dig said earlier this month?
**** you Holmgren

Homeland Security 03-27-2009 12:39 PM

Since the Isles have all the cap room in the world I wouldn't mind Garth taking a crack at Knuble to help the rebuild along.


Sal

Dig Out Your Soul 03-27-2009 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom (Post 18735872)
for all of his "knuble'd" I would still take him back. Trade Lupul for something and bring back Knuble.
But of course Holmer had to give Lupul that stupid ****ing contract.
Knuble is class all the way. Its too bad we cant bring him back.
what is that Dig said earlier this month?
**** you Holmgren

If we lose Knuble and keep that lazy sack of crap that clearly hasn't earned his contract, I will flip.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.