HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Nice letter to the USA Today written by Eric Weinrich (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=62455)

John Flyers Fan 03-16-2004 09:52 AM

Nice letter to the USA Today written by Eric Weinrich

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...h-letter_x.htm

For some backround, the letter was in response to an article by Christine Brennan, after the Bertuzzi incident, basically saying that of the NHL strike wiped out next season would anyone miss it.

Brennan who writes for the USA Today is from Washington D.C. The "sport" she covers most is womens figure skating. She also covers some womens tennis and womens gymnastics.

Very nice response by Weinrich. :handclap: :handclap:

Gee Wally 03-16-2004 09:54 AM

agree John...I read it earlier this morning.

nice to see a player respond so well.

Marshall 03-16-2004 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gee Wally
agree John...I read it earlier this morning.

nice to see a player respond so well.

Nice work, Eric.

Darth Vitale 03-16-2004 11:03 AM

The man with the yellow visor speaks... ignore him at your own peril!

:handclap: :yo:

SpinTheBlackCircle 03-16-2004 11:20 AM

Total class there by Eric. No name calling, just simple facts mixed in with well thought out opinion.

Outstanding.

puckyou21 03-16-2004 11:35 AM

Wow, class act. Good response.

Joe T Choker 03-16-2004 12:00 PM

:yo: :bow: :handclap: :rolly: :D

Nicely Done Eric!

MotownMadman 03-16-2004 12:13 PM

Great letter. My big wish is that come playoff time, the games will get as much media attention as the Bertuzzi hit. But that probably won't happen, even from ESPN. It pisses me off that situations like this are the only times that hockey gets any attention. I've seen so many spectacular goals or saves that defy belief that will never be shown on network tv, yet an one major screw-up and its all over the news. I do recognize the severity of the incident, but I think that each Stanley Cup playoffs offer is as great or greater of a positive, some may glorious, event as Bertuzzi's hit was dispicable.

NFITO 03-16-2004 12:19 PM

this is simply hillarious to me....

when Weinrich can say things like:

Quote:

Playing against him is no fun, but he is not a goon and does not have that reputation.
or..

Quote:

Bertuzzi is sorry. I believe him.
there is no backlash on it... no one even questions this, or says that Weinrich is wrong and Bertuzzi is really a bad person etc...

but when Canuck fans come out to say similar things - and they have, right from saying what Bertuzzi did was wrong, that they - canuck fans themselves - believe that the punishment was just, and that they hope for a quick recovery for Moore, most other fans will jump on them and say they're being apologetic for Bertuzzi and the only reason they want Moore to recover is so Bertuzzi doesn't get further punishment...

seriously I find it really funny reading a thread like this and seeing what a "class act" Weinrich is for saying the same things that Canuck fans are being villified for.

Higgy4 03-16-2004 12:20 PM

Good stuff, Eric. :bow:

trenton1 03-16-2004 12:29 PM

Nice job by Eric Weinrich. Very well said. I think hockey people have responded quite well to the uninformed opinions of media folk like this woman from Mc USA Today. Things have gotten awfully quiet. It's only been a week but it looks like the vultures have already moved on to the next hot button topic to opine on under a deadline.

Thanks again to Eric for condemming the act and sticking up for the great sport of hockey. :handclap:

Snugglepuss 03-16-2004 12:30 PM

Wonderful article. Great read.

Toonces 03-16-2004 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zippy
The man with the yellow visor speaks... ignore him at your own peril!

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Great peice.

It's all about the visor. :rolly:

Rabid Ranger 03-16-2004 12:35 PM

I think the bottom line here is Christine Brennan blows. I can't stand her or the feminista dreck she writes. She's just like any bandwagon jumper who pays attention to the NHL only when it's popular to do so for all the wrong reasons.

ehc73 03-16-2004 12:46 PM

It's probably only because an NHLer wrote in that it was published. Joe Hockey Fan writes in and it's probably dismissed as "another violent supporter of a violent game". Stupid media...

Freudian 03-16-2004 12:49 PM

I didn't think he said all that much. But then again neither did the article he refuted.

ArtG 03-16-2004 01:04 PM

At least he spoke up. I commend him for that. Way to go Eric.

Freudian 03-16-2004 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtG
At least he spoke up. I commend him for that. Way to go Eric.

That I agree with. It's good that the players themselves speak up.

I just think the original column wasn't even worth bothering with. Kill off NHL because of what Bertuzzi did? Thats even beyond nonsense.

Sammy* 03-16-2004 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
this is simply hillarious to me....

when Weinrich can say things like:

or..

there is no backlash on it... no one even questions this, or says that Weinrich is wrong and Bertuzzi is really a bad person etc...

but when Canuck fans come out to say similar things - and they have, right from saying what Bertuzzi did was wrong, that they - canuck fans themselves - believe that the punishment was just, and that they hope for a quick recovery for Moore, most other fans will jump on them and say they're being apologetic for Bertuzzi and the only reason they want Moore to recover is so Bertuzzi doesn't get further punishment...

seriously I find it really funny reading a thread like this and seeing what a "class act" Weinrich is for saying the same things that Canuck fans are being villified for.

I think you are off the mark here. Nuck fans are not villified for the Bertuzzi incident. The only ones who are been villified are the donkeys who minimize the incident, justify the incident or whine & complain about the punishment being unjust.

NFITO 03-16-2004 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sammy
I think you are off the mark here. Nuck fans are not villified for the Bertuzzi incident. The only ones who are been villified are the donkeys who minimize the incident, justify the incident or whine & complain about the punishment being unjust.

really?? you should read some other boards on this... go to calgarypuck and see how they sterotype all canuck fans into one category because of the rally they held...

I've also read plenty of threads here where any canuck fan saying anything similar in defense to Bertuzzi is also being picked on... we're Bertuzzi apologists for saying things similar to what Weinrich said about Bertuzzi in his letter.

post a thread here saying that Bertuzzi is not a goon, it's not the type of player he is, and isn't seen as a goon in the NHL... wonder what kind of responses it would get?

I've seen far too many posts about how Bertuzzi was acting during the press conference, how those were fake tears and he's only sorry because it hurts his career, etc... to actually think differently about this... hell there are people with avatars here that say Bertuzzi is a criminal...

Sammy* 03-16-2004 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
really?? you should read some other boards on this... go to calgarypuck and see how they sterotype all canuck fans into one category because of the rally they held...

I've also read plenty of threads here where any canuck fan saying anything similar in defense to Bertuzzi is also being picked on... we're Bertuzzi apologists for saying things similar to what Weinrich said about Bertuzzi in his letter.

post a thread here saying that Bertuzzi is not a goon, it's not the type of player he is, and isn't seen as a goon in the NHL... wonder what kind of responses it would get?

I've seen far too many posts about how Bertuzzi was acting during the press conference, how those were fake tears and he's only sorry because it hurts his career, etc... to actually think differently about this... hell there are people with avatars here that say Bertuzzi is a criminal...

Well, I then include all those people in my definition of Donkey as well.
FWIW, I think Bertuzzi takes as much physical abuse as anybody in the NHL & its a bit of a joke as to why guys like him dont get more calls .

AGraveOne 03-16-2004 02:34 PM

Great response Eric.

ohlund2.2 03-16-2004 03:33 PM

Wow, I'm happy he stepped up. Of course, if any average person wrote that it'd be ripped up and burnt.

But still, it gets the point across.

ehc73 03-16-2004 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohlund2.2
Wow, I'm happy he stepped up. Of course, if any average person wrote that it'd be ripped up and burnt.

But still, it gets the point across.

I think it also helps that Weinrich is an American. There has been plenty of Canada bashing from the American media, saying it's Canadians that are gooning up the sport and whatnot. That'll learn 'em. :)

GoaLiE12 03-16-2004 03:46 PM

bah, may be a little off topic, but i still wished the flyers hadn't traded him...