HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Prospect Info: Flyers Sign van Riemsdyk to Entry Level Contract (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=625785)

CanadianFlyer88 04-01-2009 01:38 PM

Flyers Sign van Riemsdyk to Entry Level Contract

:handclap:

Finally.

Mod edit --

http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...ticleid=416204
Quote:

The Philadelphia Flyers announced that they have signed 6’3”, 205-pound left wing James van Riemsdyk to a multiyear entry-level contract beginning with the 2009-10 season, according to club General Manager Paul Holmgren. Van Riemsdyk has also signed an amateur tryout for the remainder of the current season and has been assigned to the Flyers’ American Hockey League affiliate, the Philadelphia Phantoms. He will be available to play in tonight’s Phantoms-Albany River Rats game at the Wachovia Spectrum ( Tickets).

“We are pleased to have James in the fold and look forward to monitoring his development more closely,” said Holmgren in making the announcement. “It was a difficult decision for James to leave school, but we both believed that it was in his best interest to do so. We would like to take this opportunity to thank the University of New Hampshire, and in particular, Coach Dick Umile and his staff for not only their understanding but their dedicated work with James over the last two seasons.”
http://www.seacoastonline.com/articl...PORTS-90401044
Quote:

PHILADELPHIA – Sophomore forward James van Riemsdyk (Middletown, N.J.) of the University of New Hampshire men’s hockey team has decided to forego his last two seasons as a Wildcat to sign a contact with the Philadelphia Flyers of the National Hockey League.

Van Riemsdyk is expected to be assigned to the Philadelphia Phantoms of the American Hockey League. He was the second overall pick of the Flyers in the 2007 NHL Draft, becoming the highest drafted Wildcat in program history.

He was a Hockey East All-Rookie selection in 2007-08 as he posted 34 points on 11 goals and 23 assists. This past season, van Riemsdyk was an All-Hockey East Second Team honoree. Overall, the sophomore forward led the team with 40 points (17 goals, 23 assists) and ranked first on the team and second in the nation in short-handed goals with four. van Riemsdyk closed out the 2008-09 season a plus-14 and led the team in shots on goal at 138.

Van Riemsdyk finished his UNH career with 74 points (28 goals, 46 assists) in just 67 games played (1.10 ppg). He was a two-time semifinalist for the Walter Brown Award (given to the top American born college hockey player in New England) and was Hockey East’s Rookie of the Month in March 2008.

A highly touted recruit for Coach Dick Umile and the Wildcats, van Riemsdyk came to UNH after two seasons with the United States National Program under head coach Ron Rolston. He led the US U-18 team in scoring in 2006-07 with 63 points in 42 games. In addition, he represented the United States in each of the past three World Junior Championship and was the tournament’s leading scorer in 2008.

http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet...405&feedID=695
Quote:

They would have preferred it to happen a year or two sooner, but the Flyers finally signed power forward James vanRiemsdyk to a three-year entry level contract on Wednesday afternoon.

He was the Flyers’ first pick – 2nd overall – in the 2007 draft. It is believed he got the maximum allowable deal which was $875,000 in salary per year for his draft class.

“We are pleased to have James in the fold and look forward to monitoring his development more closely,” said general manager Paul Holmgren in making the announcement.

“It was a difficult decision for James to leave school, but we both believed that it was in his best interest to do so. We would like to take this opportunity to thank the University of New Hampshire, and in particular, Coach Dick Umile and his staff for not only their understanding but their dedicated work with James over the last two seasons.”

The 6-foot-3, 205-pound forward from Middletown, N.J. also signed an amateur contract to join the Phantoms, where he will be assigned the remainder of the season. He will be available to play in tonight’s Phantoms-Albany River Rats game at the Wachovia Spectrum.
http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/spor...th_Flyers.html
Quote:

James van Riemsdyk's professional career has finally begun.

The second overall pick in the 2007 draft, he signed a multiyear entry level contract with the Flyers that begins next season.

He also signed a tryout contract that will enable him to beginning playing right away for the Phantoms. He is scheduled to play tonight against the Albany River Rats in the Wachovia Spectrum.

"Obviously, this is a thrill of a lifetime," said van Riemsdyk, 19. "This is a day I have been dreaming about ever since I got drafted by the Flyers. Just to have this opportunity is something I am really grateful for."

The Flyers wanted their top pick to begin his career this season, but he decided to stay at New Hampshire for his sophomore season and to also play in the World Junior Championships.

At UNH, he had 17 goals and 23 assists for 40 points in 36 games this season. He led the Wildcats in scoring and finished eighth overall in Hockey East.
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/..._Riemsdyk.html
Quote:

Left winger James van Riemsdyk, the second overall selection in the 2007 draft, signed a multi-level entry contract today and reported to the Flyers' top affilaite, the AHL Phantoms.

The Flyers had wanted van Riemsdyk to sign last year, but he opted to spend another season with the University of New Hampshire. He had been considering staying another year at the school but decided against it.

"We are pleased to have James in the fold and look forward to monitoring his development more closely," general manager Paul Holmgren said. "It was a difficult decision for James to leave school, but we both believed that it was in his best interest to do so."

The 6-foot-3, 205-pound van Riemsdyk signed a multi-year entry-level contract beginning with the 2009-10 season, Holmgren said. He will be available to play in tonight's Phantoms-Albany River Rats game at the Wachovia Spectrum.

Van Riemsdyk called it "a thrill of a lifetime."

"This is a day I have been dreaming about ever since I got drafted by the Flyers," he said. "Just to have this opportunity is something I am really grateful for.

"I thought the sooner I made this decision the better it would be for all parties involved. Since I've decided to leave school, I've told the UNH coaching staff and everyone else early on so they will have more time to fill my spot there. I just thought signing at this point would help me get my feet wet a little bit in the professional game and start working on some things that I want to improve upon.

"Obviously, this is a huge jump in level of play. I know I am going to have to work hard and basically that is what I am expecting. I am going to work hard and learn a lot from this experience."
http://www.tnhonline.com/media/stora...-3692242.shtml
Quote:

Attention Wildcat fans. The James van Riemsdyk era is over.

Flyers fans, the era is just beginning.

van Riemsdyk has decided to forgo his
final two seasons as a Wildcat and signed a contract with the Philadelphia Flyers of the National Hockey League.

JVR left school Tuesday to travel home to be with his family and advisors to make the decision. The second overall pick in the 2007 NHL draft, to say van Riemsdyk's was hyped would be like saying UNH's recent loss to BU was unfortunate.

"We're excited for him and wish him nothing but the very best," said UNH head coach Dick Umile. "He's tremendous, not only a hockey player, but he's a tremendous young man. As a coach, it's been a joy to coach him. He came in here highly touted and he handled it extremely well. He did a lot of good things for us in a very short period of time."

JVR finished his career as a Wildcat with 74 points (28g, 46a) in two seasons, and lead the Wildcats in points this past season. He was a two-time semifinalist for the Walter Brown Award and was the focus of opposing defenses as a Wildcat. He will be joining the Philadelphia Phantoms, the Flyer's AHL affiliate, and will don the No. 22 tonight in their game against Albany.

Brophy 04-01-2009 01:38 PM

no ****? april fools. im waiting for it.

might2mash 04-01-2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles (Post 18818927)

April Fool's? Where's the punchline? None?

Hooray!

MiamiScreamingEagles 04-01-2009 01:39 PM

Flyers Sign van Riemsdyk to Entry Level Contract

http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...ticleid=416204
Quote:

The Philadelphia Flyers announced that they have signed 6’3”, 205-pound left wing James van Riemsdyk to a multiyear entry-level contract beginning with the 2009-10 season, according to club General Manager Paul Holmgren. Van Riemsdyk has also signed an amateur tryout for the remainder of the current season and has been assigned to the Flyers’ American Hockey League affiliate, the Philadelphia Phantoms. He will be available to play in tonight’s Phantoms-Albany River Rats game at the Wachovia Spectrum ( Tickets).

“We are pleased to have James in the fold and look forward to monitoring his development more closely,” said Holmgren in making the announcement. “It was a difficult decision for James to leave school, but we both believed that it was in his best interest to do so. We would like to take this opportunity to thank the University of New Hampshire, and in particular, Coach Dick Umile and his staff for not only their understanding but their dedicated work with James over the last two seasons.”

flyersguy33* 04-01-2009 01:39 PM

You are all welcome ;)

anyone going to the Phantoms game tonight?

bennysflyers16 04-01-2009 01:40 PM

YES

Now light up the AHL and get up to the 3rd line for the playoffs

MiamiScreamingEagles 04-01-2009 01:40 PM

Sorry, Jules. We had multiple threads. :)

Brophy 04-01-2009 01:40 PM

Him and Sbisa better be ready playoff time.

I bite my tounge now.

sa cyred 04-01-2009 01:41 PM

lol... hfboards is so messed up. 3 people posted before MSE did....

Hollywood Couturier 04-01-2009 01:41 PM

Yes!!!!

captainpaxil 04-01-2009 01:41 PM

with the phantoms season ending so soon do u think hell see any time with the big club this season?

LEIFey 04-01-2009 01:42 PM

woo, that's a relief. i hated hearing people say that JvR would be the next Blake Wheeler.

BerubeBox* 04-01-2009 01:42 PM

I seriously didn't think it would happen.

Anyone know if csn is showing any more phantoms games this season?

FlyLife 04-01-2009 01:42 PM

Thank god!

Jim Schennson 04-01-2009 01:42 PM

Welcome to Philly!

TheDrizzle81 04-01-2009 01:42 PM

This is certainly welcomed news. and uh, Eklund was right guys...... Still dont like him.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=625033

Opus 04-01-2009 01:43 PM

That's what I'm talking about

Atta boy JVR, welcome to Philly!!!

Rick Deckard 04-01-2009 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainpaxil (Post 18818974)
with the phantoms season ending so soon do u think hell see any time with the big club this season?

No, he won't. His Entry Level Contract starts July 1st 2009, he isn't allowed to play for the Flyers previously.

Jules801 04-01-2009 01:43 PM

Arrrghh! MSE! You beat me to it! Delete my thread please, so I don't look like a doosh! LOL

This is good to hear, but I'm sure a hard decision for JVR to leave school. I feared if he had stayed, he would not have stayed with us....

bennysflyers16 04-01-2009 01:43 PM

Might have to change my avatar to 50 % !!!:handclap::handclap:

Unstable 04-01-2009 01:44 PM

Excellent!

DeadPhish5858 04-01-2009 01:45 PM

Just got the text. Awesome!

Hopefully the Phantoms make the playoffs.

Jim Schennson 04-01-2009 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainpaxil (Post 18818974)

They still have a decent shot at making the playoffs.

JSTAFF 04-01-2009 01:46 PM

yay JVR!

MiamiScreamingEagles 04-01-2009 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules801 (Post 18819019)
Arrrghh! MSE! You beat me to it! Delete my thread please, so I don't look like a doosh! LOL

This is good to hear, but I'm sure a hard decision for JVR to leave school. I feared if he had stayed, he would not have stayed with us....

Technically, I could infract someone for calling another person a doosh but... if someone calls herself one? Talk about conundrums. :)