HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Prospect Info: Maksim Trunev (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=626053)

RoyBoyCoy 04-02-2009 07:35 AM

Maksim Trunev

http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=19034

5 points in 32 games for Maxim Trunev for Severstal Cherepovets. While that doesn't seem good, for an 18 year old that's pretty impressive. Russian prospects usually have deceptively low numbers. But anyways, who thinks that Trunev will turn out being a 5th round steal? What's his potential/upside? (I don't really get the difference)

Heres a little sample of his skill: He's #81

Kafka 04-02-2009 07:48 AM

I wonder how he managed to fall to the fifth round. Probably the "Russian" problem with the NHL. The guy is small, but he has an increadible speed, great hands, will need to work on his shot (but any guy at that age would).

A gem.

Marc Bergevins Suit 04-02-2009 08:11 AM

If he was born a month later he would be going in this draft and would be top 2 round player. Hes got big-time potential. Hopefully he gets some ice-time in the next couple season to develop then he comes over.

npineaul 04-02-2009 08:42 AM

Woh, this guy is certainly impressive, lots of skill, hopefully he can take it ti the NHL level

Form and Substance 04-02-2009 08:56 AM

People should really stop using his Mac midget AAA tournament or whatever it's called as a talent gauge. He was a 17 year old playing against 15-16 year olds and dominated as he should have. That being said, I really look forward to his progress. I've heard he's done wonders in the tier-2 Russian league, which is quite amazing at his age.
I hope he comes over soon.

montreal 04-02-2009 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy (Post 18831335)
http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=19034

5 points in 32 games for Maxim Trunev for Severstal Cherepovets. While that doesn't seem good, for an 18 year old that's pretty impressive. Russian prospects usually have deceptively low numbers. But anyways, who thinks that Trunev will turn out being a 5th round steal? What's his potential/upside? (I don't really get the difference)

The problem will be getting him over here and keeping him here, I guess we'll see if he comes over this summer, I'd be shocked if he left the KHL money for the CHL, so then it becomes, will he come over the following year to play in the AHL for 50-60K. I don't know what he makes in the KHL, I'd guess not much at this point. I believe his contract with Severstal expires after next season, so perhaps that will be a good time to try and get him to come over.

I only saw one game where he played for Severstal, he's got speed/skating/hands, I really like his upside if we can get him over here.

NewHabsEra* 04-02-2009 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal (Post 18831781)
The problem will be getting him over here and keeping him here, I guess we'll see if he comes over this summer, I'd be shocked if he left the KHL money for the CHL, so then it becomes, will he come over the following year to play in the AHL for 50-60K. I don't know what he makes in the KHL, I'd guess not much at this point. I believe his contract with Severstal expires after next season, so perhaps that will be a good time to try and get him to come over.

I only saw one game where he played for Severstal, he's got speed/skating/hands, I really like his upside if we can get him over here.

How does he compare to Perezhogin at the same age? I saw a vid where he was skating like the wind making other guys look like pylons, just like Perez was doing when he dominated the AHL..

Habsfan18 04-02-2009 09:40 AM

I was really excited when I heard he was planning on coming over last summer to play in the WHL.

Then it never happened. :(

JHabs 04-02-2009 10:02 AM

Just by watching that vid, his flashes scream of Datsyuk like moves with Kovy like (Keep the puck) style He seems like a dynamic player, with charisma and heart. I hope he is as good as he's projected to be.

marchabsfan 04-02-2009 10:04 AM

"Maksim" ??!! :laugh: each time a russian name is written here it is changed, eheh

Em Ancien 04-02-2009 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marchabsfan (Post 18832262)
"Maksim" ??!! :laugh: each time a russian name is written here it is changed, eheh

I'm not sure, but I don't think the X exists in the Russian alphabet.

When it's translated letter for letter, it's M-A-KS-I-M

The K and S make up for the X.

SergeConstantin74 04-02-2009 10:11 AM

I believe he had an agreement with a QMJHL team (Victoriaville or Shawinigan) but the worst team of the WHL picked him. He then signed with Cherepovets instead of coming over.

maci4life 04-02-2009 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 (Post 18832299)
I'm not sure, but I don't think the X exists in the Russian alphabet.

When it's translated letter for letter, it's M-A-KS-I-M

The K and S make up for the X.

true but if you pronounce the name "max"

it would be spelled macs

therefore Maxim should be just fine.

DeVries* 04-02-2009 10:45 AM

Actually I like the spelling with a 'ks'. Would be original to name my boy like that in North America. :)

Joey 04-02-2009 10:50 AM

Look at the left hand side-bar....is Niklas Sundstrom 5th in league scoring?

Mtl6 04-02-2009 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey (Post 18832690)

Yes...! lol That's because he is not with the Habs anymore, he's angry Bob didn't offer him a contract...!

Dripper 04-02-2009 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey (Post 18832690)

Impressive :amazed:

And the 3rd scorer is a 22 year old swede. There's a topic about him in the main board.

Darz 04-02-2009 11:16 AM

Good high risk, high reward pick in the 5th round.

Timmins seemed very high on this guy when he was drafted, so......

Belso 04-02-2009 11:19 AM

I saw that video before and I can't see how that kid could not make it to the NHL. The only thing that worries me is his size.. He may be better suited for the KHL. :( So he may chose to stay there. But hopefully he'll come over..

JeromeHP 04-02-2009 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz (Post 18832999)
Good high risk, high reward pick in the 5th round.

Timmins seemed very high on this guy when he was drafted, so......

not a knock on Trunev but Timmins is high on every pick he make!!! and by being high on that x players he get the hyped machine going and when they get in montreal we have unrealistic (sp) expectation (see price) :shakehead

montreal 04-02-2009 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewHabsEra (Post 18831952)
How does he compare to Perezhogin at the same age? I saw a vid where he was skating like the wind making other guys look like pylons, just like Perez was doing when he dominated the AHL..

Well Perezhogin was on the WJC at his age, (although he got injured and didn't do much), but the next year Perezhogin ripped it up, playing for both the junior and senior national team (just euro cup not wc's)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 (Post 18832308)
I believe he had an agreement with a QMJHL team (Victoriaville or Shawinigan) but the worst team of the WHL picked him. He then signed with Cherepovets instead of coming over.

It was Victo I believe. But I personally wonder if he would had come over with them as the lure of money can be hard to overlook. Plus the Russian Hockey Federation was making a big deal about juniors leaving Russia, saying they would not be allowed to dress for the WJC's, so it might have also impacted his decision.

bipolarhabfan 04-02-2009 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 (Post 18832308)

Ya. I think it was Portland. I was waiting for them on the sked but than I saw Trunev was not on the roster so I decided against it. Hopefully he can develop into a St. Louis type player.

JeromeHP 04-02-2009 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal (Post 18833070)
It was Victo I believe. But I personally wonder if he would had come over with them as the lure of money can be hard to overlook. Plus the Russian Hockey Federation was making a big deal about juniors leaving Russia, saying they would not be allowed to dress for the WJC's, so it might have also impacted his decision.

i heard it was shawinigan (i think shawinigan had the 8th overall pick in the import draft)

btw, as for him not being allowed to play for russia at the wjc...well he stay in russia and didnt even make the team and not even make the team for the russia vs chl challenge in november (here its more the case that is russian team didnt let him go for this series) but russian federation still pick guy like gratchev, ospachuk, kulikov who play in the chl for team russia at the wjc so i really dont know??? my guess Trunev didnt really wanted to be in portland, maybe it will have been different in shawinigan (russian seems to like to play in the Q)

Biggsy 04-02-2009 11:32 AM

kid has some good skills made some nice passes goes hard to the net and is pretty smooth with the puck and his skating ability hopefully he can break out and be a solid player

montreal 04-02-2009 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markov79fan (Post 18833130)
i heard it was shawinigan (i think shawinigan had the 8th overall pick in the import draft)

btw, as for him not being allowed to play for russia at the wjc...well he stay in russia and didnt even make the team and not even make the team for the russia vs chl challenge in november (here its more the case that is russian team didnt let him go for this series) but russian federation still pick guy like gratchev, ospachuk, kulikov who play in the chl for team russia at the wjc so i really dont know??? my guess Trunev didnt really wanted to be in portland, maybe it will have been different in shawinigan (russian seems to like to play in the Q)

I'm too lazy to look it up but I thought it was Victo cause he knew the coach. But it was one or the other. I was a little surprised he didnt' make the team for the wjc's since he seemed to be doing well in the KHL in the games he played. I know that over the summer, is when I heard that the RHF was putting pressure on their players to stay, guess they changed their minds. :sarcasm:

My guess is that I think he would have stayed in Russia either way as the money is hard to turn down.