HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Has Daigle managed to erase the bust image this season? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=62622)

Freudian 03-16-2004 07:47 PM

Has Daigle managed to erase the bust image this season?

I haven't seen very much of him this season but he does seem to be doing ok for the Wild.

GP 68, G 14, A 27, P 41, +/- -5, PIM 10, Atoi 15:12. (Added game in progress where he has 2 assists).

Looks pretty solid to me. Of course he will never be able to live up to being the #1 overall pick, but it seems to me he could be an ok NHLer. Any Wild fans have any opinion about him, his work ethic and so on?

Big McLargehuge 03-16-2004 07:49 PM

He'll never lose the image.

Not my opinion, but just how it's gonna be.

windowlicker 03-16-2004 07:50 PM

too little...too late

Vyacheslav 03-16-2004 07:53 PM

Doesn't really matter, this is a very "what have you done for me lately?" world.

Heater15 03-16-2004 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windowlicker
too little...too late

:teach:
1 mediocre season doesn't do it at all

Fan-of-#9 03-16-2004 07:55 PM

It'll be hard to get rid of the image, but he should be congratulated on a decent comeback

Fish on The Sand 03-16-2004 07:57 PM

If he becomes a 30 goal, 80 point guy then yes he will.

LaVal 03-16-2004 08:03 PM

a 1st overall pick having a 40 point season, playing 3rd line icetime hardly erases the bust lable. especially considering he was picked ahead of Pronger and was considered the next can't-miss super prospect.

PensFan68 03-16-2004 08:06 PM

If he can keep this up for more than just a year or two he may get a little more respect, but he'll always be a bust in most eyes.

Luigi Lemieux 03-16-2004 08:09 PM

for the hype he got, he could score 50 pts for the next 10 years and still be considered a bust.

Burke's Evil Spirit 03-16-2004 08:21 PM

If a first overall pick becomes a defensively aware 15-goal scorer, he's still a bust.

PanthersRule96 03-16-2004 08:24 PM

No, he'll always be a bust just because of his career. He would've been good if he worked when he was young.

USC Trojans 03-16-2004 08:27 PM

he was a bust in hockey, and a bust as an actor.

he's a double bust and will never shake off the title

No Quarter 03-16-2004 08:27 PM

I'd say he is always gonna be considered a bust because he never will live up to that next best prospect since Lemieux lable.

MLSE 03-16-2004 10:26 PM

I think even if he does have some great seasons he will still be a bust because that draft had so many better players than him and he was picked before them all.

edmontonoilers89 03-16-2004 11:29 PM

He's only a bust because people built him up too much. He's having a pretty good year for someone who was away from the game for a while.

Trottier 03-17-2004 12:14 AM

Daigle was on his way to shedding (or at least lessening) the "bust" image in October and November. He has cooled down bigtime since. Once again, stats don't tell the story.

GKJ 03-17-2004 12:23 AM

The first overall pick is not supposed to be a role player at any point in his carreer, but I would say this is the best he's played since being in Ottawa. Lemaire has him playing defense, he's coming back into his zone backchecking. I think he's turned his carreer around so far, but he's never going to shed the bust label unless he puts up 30 goal seasons for the rest of his carreer, and even then he wouldn't shed the bust label to be frank. I think he HAS established himself as a legit, NHL player who serves a role and produces in his role.

thestonedkoala 03-17-2004 12:47 AM

*shrugs* He's done well for Minnesota personally, I mean with Gaborik sucking and Dupuis sucking, we didn't have very much. Remember this is a defensive-first team so Daigle might not get as many chances. I know he's still a bust but we like him for I believe 500,000 a year.

Go Habs Go 03-17-2004 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful
He'll never lose the image.

Not my opinion, but just how it's gonna be.

lol, that avatar is awesome!

I believe Daigle is still a bust not because he sucks but because he's supposed to be a superstar. He failed to live up to his potential and by far. He's a decent player now but still nowhere near his potential.

Freudian 03-17-2004 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
*shrugs* He's done well for Minnesota personally, I mean with Gaborik sucking and Dupuis sucking, we didn't have very much. Remember this is a defensive-first team so Daigle might not get as many chances. I know he's still a bust but we like him for I believe 500,000 a year.

That's what I mean. He deserves some credit for taking a small contract under a demanding coach. At least he can partially remove the reputation as a floater if he sticks around and contributes. I would expect him to be better next year since he couldn't have come into this season 100% fit for elite hockey (after PIT dumped him).

Surly Furious 03-17-2004 09:11 AM

IMO, the bust label will stick with him, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's justified - he had the bad luck to be drafted in front of some pretty amazing players, but that's the nature of the draft. If Daigle can have some success over the next few seasons, and finish his career with something like 200 goals and 500 points, I think that's too good of a career to be considered a bust. Bust should be reserved for guys that never make it. A disappointment maybe, or the victim of others disappointment due to great ecxpectations, but not a bust -

He's been great for Minnesota, in spite of a midseason slump.

SensGod 03-17-2004 09:18 AM

considering that Pronger and Kariya were drafted after him...he'll have to have a couple of 90+ point seasons before he sheds that "bust" label...

Surly Furious 03-17-2004 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SensGod
considering that Pronger and Kariya were drafted after him...he'll have to have a couple of 90+ point seasons before he sheds that "bust" label...

A majority of players have someone drafted later than they are drafted who is better. In theory, one forward, defenseman, and goalie will be the best of their draft. Does that mean every other player drafted ahead of them is to be considered a bust?

SensGod 03-17-2004 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bookman
A majority of players have someone drafted later than they are drafted who is better. In theory, one forward, defenseman, and goalie will be the best of their draft. Does that mean every other player drafted ahead of them is to be considered a bust?

Not at all...but if you remember the year he was drafted...he was slated to be "the next one".

He was supposed to be better than any player in that draft by a HUUUUUGE margin and was to have his name mentioned with the likes of Gretzky and Lemieux.

Now...considering that is what he was supposed to be...and what he is right now...he's a bust.

Actually, I dont' think that it's possible for him to shed the "bust" image he has considering what he was supposed to be.

No way in Hell he can unless all of a sudden he becomes what he was supposed to be all of a sudden and takes over the NHL.

The chances of that happening are even slimmer than the chances that Patrick Lalime making a clutch save ;)