HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Upshall (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=626418)

Hockeypete49 04-03-2009 03:30 AM

Upshall

Well Scottie had the game winner last night. He has been playing really well since the trade. Other than the cap implications, I am still trying to figure out this move.

chaosof99* 04-03-2009 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 (Post 18849155)
Well Scottie had the game winner last night. He has been playing really well since the trade. Other than the cap implications, I am still trying to figure out this move.

I wouldn't worry about this very much. It often happens that players just play better right after a trade. Emminger also had like two goals in a span of three games right after he got traded.

Why was he traded? Cap implications and him turning RFA after the season. Simple as that. It's sad that he was traded but eventually you'll get over it. Spilt milk isn't worth crying over.

Readyrock 04-03-2009 04:33 AM

Quote:

Well Scottie had the game winner last night. He has been playing really well since the trade.

He's getting more ice time and special teams minutes.

Quote:

Other than the cap implications, I am still trying to figure out this move.

There's nothing else to figure out. It was a cap move. It might've been a bad one, but it was a salary dump right before the deadline. We weren't expecting equal value back or anything.

I predict 20 pages if the thread doesn't get locked first. I'm game to read some populist outrage.

EDIT: Apologies to you, Hockeypete49. You're a newer poster, and I'm a little cynical.

BigBanger 04-03-2009 06:42 AM

There's nothing else to figure out. It was a cap move. It might've been a bad one, but it was a salary dump right before the deadline. We weren't expecting equal value back or anything.

Huh ??if you dont expect something of equal or better whats the point? we could of dumped Salery in a lot of different ways. This was bad end of season move questioned by everyone around NHL.

Opus 04-03-2009 07:23 AM

Other than cap implications, there is NOTHING to figure out.

Upshalls production (like Scrafo said) has been up since the trade, but so what. He's on the 2nd line, and getting PP minutes...two things he wasn't getting here. While I always liked him, you need to really look at his production while he was here, not what he's done since. It's irrelevant, IMO.

The move was made to keep Giroux here, as well.

Look at it this way...

Upshall, 2nd.

for...

Carcillo, Giroux.

Not saying it was the best way to dump salary, but at the time...it had to be done.

I miss Upshall like the next guy, but seriously, it's time to move on.

LEIFey 04-03-2009 07:32 AM

scarfo, that is a disturbing avatar. flyers pirate themed lazy town?

i miss upshall a lot, and would love to see him in orange again in the future. carcillo plays a role that is different from scottie's, but i do know i would rather have upshall on richards's wing than carcillo.

tytech 04-03-2009 07:39 AM

This trade burns me more than others that I don't agree with do.

Carcillo brings nothing more to the table than Upshall did and Carcillo gets to play with Richards, yet Upshall didn't? Upshall is much better than Carcillo offensively, has much more tenacity and drive and brings much more energy (less nastiness) to his game.

flyers ltd 04-03-2009 07:55 AM

Upshall looked like a game breaker in his 18 games after the trade back in 2006-2007. Then the Flyers became a good team and he was given his proper role. Really, if you are raving about him this time next year, your team will probably be in a similar position in the standings.

GKJ 04-03-2009 08:22 AM

Why would we consider getting Giroux as part of the trade when he was already on the team, playing on the same line no less.

Two draft picks on one player.

I'll defer to my previous arguments on 'asset management'

Lab Monkey 04-03-2009 08:28 AM

I was totally against the Upshall trade at the time. Hated it. Called for Homers head on a platter. But like Opus said, if he wasn't moved Claude wouldn't be around right now. Upshall for Giroux is a trade I would do any day of the week. Best of luck to Scott, and I hope he continues to have success, but he WILL NOT win us a cup.

TheDrizzle81 04-03-2009 08:31 AM

Jones = a better salary dump. Period.

GKJ 04-03-2009 08:33 AM

How did it allow Giroux to be on the team? The game before the deadline we had a completely healthy roster (except Hatcher), everyone was on the team at the same time, which included Giroux.

TheDrizzle81 04-03-2009 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 (Post 18850236)
How did it allow Giroux to be on the team? The game before the deadline we had a completely healthy roster (except Hatcher), everyone was on the team at the same time, which included Giroux.

I think it was more of an Injury flexibility plan for the stretch run. iuno. I would have traded Jones for a cheaper dman to create that flexibility.

sa cyred 04-03-2009 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 (Post 18850355)
I think it was more of an Injury flexibility plan for the stretch run. iuno. I would have traded Jones for a cheaper dman to create that flexibility.

This is correct. It really had nothing to do with Giroux. Giroux was on the team at the same time. It has to do with getting more cap space just incase someone got hurt. We did not have enough room, without sending Giroux down, to bring someone up.

As much as I like Upshall, and think Carcillo blows, this topic is so repetitive. If Carcillo stays on the 4th line, Ill be happy. Leave Asham on the 3rd line.

BigBanger 04-03-2009 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 (Post 18850196)
Jones = a better salary dump. Period.

Amen on that! talk about stealing money he must have great agent.

TheDrizzle81 04-03-2009 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBanger (Post 18851066)
Amen on that! talk about stealing money he must have great agent.

Id say. I mean there had to be something else to this Upshall deal than just salary, cuz Im sorry a similar trade but with Jones 4 a cheap Damn could have happened. or maybe not. Maybe we're all over analyzing this whole situation.

I was optimistic about the Upshall/Carcillo trade but man, wheres Carcillo been since the trade? And I keep hearing about Upshall lighting the lamp and playing great for Phoenix. I really think we could use Scotties energy right now. The guy never took a **** off. But w/e it is what it is, heres to hoping Carcillo heats up for the playoffs.

FlyHigh 04-03-2009 10:29 AM

See, everybody wants to trade Jones and I support that in the offseason, but if you traded him before the deadline, who replaces him? Syvret? Guenin?

And don't say Vaananen because the Vaananen-Alberts pairing was pretty damn bad.

TheDrizzle81 04-03-2009 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyHigh (Post 18851576)
See, everybody wants to trade Jones and I support that in the offseason, but if you traded him before the deadline, who replaces him? Syvret? Guenin?

And don't say Vaananen because the Vaananen-Alberts pairing was pretty damn bad.

I was saying to trade Jones for a cheap dman. A replacement kinda like Upshall for Carcillo. I would have voted for Kukkonen to replace Jones if we just dumped Jones.

RJ8812 04-03-2009 10:43 AM

omg...get over the trade!

upshall is nothing special. he's getting ice-time in PHO because they suck. he put up the points with us aswell when he got him during our terrible season

Dig Out Your Soul 04-03-2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ8812 (Post 18851812)
omg...get over the trade!

upshall is nothing special. he's getting ice-time in PHO because they suck. he put up the points with us aswell when he got him during our terrible season

So what does this mean? Let the kid play on a scoring line and he can produce - something very valuable in case a top 6 player gets hurt in the playoffs.

But if he's not playing on a scoring line and produces less - he stays cheap! Retarded salary dump. Versatile and cheap player for practically nothing (don't give me this Giroux crap, that's been proven wrong 100 times).

UseYourAllusion 04-03-2009 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul (Post 18852041)
So what does this mean? Let the kid play on a scoring line and he can produce - something very valuable in case a top 6 player gets hurt in the playoffs.

But if he's not playing on a scoring line and produces less - he stays cheap! Retarded salary dump. Versatile and cheap player for practically nothing (don't give me this Giroux crap, that's been proven wrong 100 times).

Has the Giroux crap be proven wrong? I seem to remember a couple games where Kimmo sat with the flu and we had to send Giroux down just to call up Nate Guenin.

Jester 04-03-2009 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyHigh (Post 18851576)

This is why you trade Lupul. Short-term and long-term helps the salary cap, paired with the fact that Briere theoretically "replaces" his offense in the lineup.

Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Hartnell-Carter-Briere
Upshall-Giroux-Powe/Asham

I would be a happy camper...nevermind that I think we should have fixed this problem a bit sooner so that we could have kept Metro, who was perfectly fine as a 3rd line center.

Dig Out Your Soul 04-03-2009 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion (Post 18852110)
Has the Giroux crap be proven wrong? I seem to remember a couple games where Kimmo sat with the flu and we had to send Giroux down just to call up Nate Guenin.

What I mean is when people say "Upshall and a 2nd for Carcillo and Giroux". That's utter BS.

Yeah, there's a point to be made that we needed cap space for an injury call-up. However (and I've said this before), I would've rather sent Giroux down for two games if Kimmo has the flu and keep Upshall for a playoff run. What's the big deal in that? Are we at the point where Giroux is so essential to our success that we can't send him down for a few days?

We're 7-7 since the trade deadline and have been fortunate to win some of those games. I don't think we've looked like the same team as before the deadline.

BigBanger 04-03-2009 11:13 AM

Dig out your soul... crap this is off topic but DaMM , your Avatar gives me a boner,

UseYourAllusion 04-03-2009 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul (Post 18852194)
What I mean is when people say "Upshall and a 2nd for Carcillo and Giroux". That's utter BS.

Yeah, there's a point to be made that we needed cap space for an injury call-up. However (and I've said this before), I would've rather sent Giroux down for two games if Kimmo has the flu and keep Upshall for a playoff run. What's the big deal in that? Are we at the point where Giroux is so essential to our success that we can't send him down for a few days?

We're 7-7 since the trade deadline and have been fortunate to win some of those games. I don't think we've looked like the same team as before the deadline.

Correlation does not equal causation. If losing their 9th best forward really made that much of a difference to this team they have much bigger problems than the Upshall trade.