HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Speculation: MacTavish as Coach of Coyotes if Gretzky Steps Aside (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=626834)

Jake16 04-04-2009 11:48 AM

MacTavish as Coach of Coyotes if Gretzky Steps Aside
 
If the Oilers let MacT go, I see him fitting in really well as the next coach of the Coyotes should Gretzky decide to step aside. No rumors or whispers just my speculation. Thoughts?

It Kills Me 04-04-2009 11:55 AM

Why doesn't Phoenix want a good coach?

Alamo 04-04-2009 11:56 AM

Gretzky isn't going to step down for a coach that is worse than him.

Nunymare 04-04-2009 11:57 AM

How is this 'speculation'?

This would fit into the 'other' category.

Kamina 04-04-2009 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alamo (Post 18868418)
Gretzky isn't going to step down for a coach that is worse than him.

:laugh: True enough.

k1llua 04-04-2009 12:53 PM

No thanks. I'd rather see a Sullivan or someone if Gretzky steps down. MacT gets similar gripes from Oilers fans that we give Gretzky. Also, the Friends of Gretzky angle that we've been dealing with for a while cropping up again concerns me.

Lisa Needs Braces 04-04-2009 01:03 PM

A guy like Pat quinn might be a good fit in Phoenix. I think its reasonably obvious that gretzky needs to go as a coach down there and if he wern't gretzky he probably would have been fired by the organization by now. Phoenix next year are the columbus of this year...they desperately need to make the playoffs.

weirdg 04-04-2009 01:29 PM

IMHO, MacT would be an upgrade over Gretz. That team has had more talent than us in recent years, and they still can't make it into the playoffs. Gretzky is a horrible coach... too bad for the Yotes he doesn't know when to quit.

WG

Joey Moss 04-04-2009 01:29 PM

Except for MacT wont be let go, as stated by Darryl Katz.

Joey Moss 04-04-2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alamo (Post 18868418)
Gretzky isn't going to step down for a coach that is worse than him.

:handclap: Your completely clueless if you think MacTavish is worse than Gretzky :laugh:. Phoenix is a MacT type of team, he would thrive in Phoenix as their coach.

mattihp 04-04-2009 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolate Skittles (Post 18868370)
Why doesn't Phoenix want a good coach?

In hockey, tradition is everything.

HockeyAndTheSox 04-04-2009 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OilGagner89 (Post 18869884)
:handclap: Your completely clueless if you think MacTavish is worse than Gretzky :laugh:. Phoenix is a MacT type of team, he would thrive in Phoenix as their coach.

So Oilers fans are complaining about the fact that MacTavish is a defensive coach and that Hemsky and Gagner and Kotalik need offensive minded coaches... But yet you say that MacTavish would thrive in Phoenix who is packed with offensive talent.... Turris, Mueller, Boedker, Lisin, Tikhonov, Doan, Lombardi, Prucha, Dawes to name a few.

mapes 04-05-2009 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OilGagner89 (Post 18869858)
Except for MacT wont be let go, as stated by Darryl Katz.

Gainey told Carbo a week before he let him go that he would rather step down than fire him. That doesn't mean anything.

OneSharpMarble 04-05-2009 09:45 PM

Just because someone says "Mac T is gonna get dumped in the desert" doesn't mean he is gonna coach the coyotes. :sarcasm:

Wheatking 04-05-2009 10:43 PM

MacT isn't a bad coach....just not the right one for the Oilers. Only two other coaches currently in the league have been with one team longer and there is a reason for that It's not surprising that after 8 or 9 years the message has gotten stale.

Lost of good coaches have been fired only to go on and have success with another team.

mydnyte 04-06-2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake16 (Post 18868316)
If the Oilers let MacT go, I see him fitting in really well as the next coach of the Coyotes should Gretzky decide to step aside. No rumors or whispers just my speculation. Thoughts?

why, because he's doing SO well with the Oilers?

pacobor27 04-06-2009 10:59 AM

This wouldn't even make sense, MacT hasn't in my mind proven that he can manage youth well enough to succeed with them. Maybe he'll bring the same success to Pheonix that he has to Edmonton the past couple years :sarcasm:

Doc Hock 04-06-2009 01:24 PM

I have read that Gretzky is paid $7.5 million a year to coach because his presence is intended to sell tickets therefore the abnormal salary....so Gretz wont walk unless the cash follows

;)


doc hock

Flames Fanatic 04-06-2009 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pensteel71 (Post 18873649)
So Oilers fans are complaining about the fact that MacTavish is a defensive coach and that Hemsky and Gagner and Kotalik need offensive minded coaches... But yet you say that MacTavish would thrive in Phoenix who is packed with offensive talent.... Turris, Mueller, Boedker, Lisin, Tikhonov, Doan, Lombardi, Prucha, Dawes to name a few.

Lombardi may be playing well right now, but we'll see if it sticks. He's gone on hot streaks like this before, and then his stone handitis catches up with him again.

rt 04-06-2009 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattihp (Post 18871668)
In hockey, tradition is everything.

Bobby Francis won the Jack Adams as the head coach of the Coyotes a handful of years back.

mattihp 04-06-2009 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mydnyte (Post 18900689)
why, because he's doing SO well with the Oilers?

Why would there be any chance a coach comes to the desert if his current team is doing well?

rt 04-06-2009 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Hock (Post 18902634)
I have read that Gretzky is paid $7.5 million a year to coach because his presence is intended to sell tickets therefore the abnormal salary....so Gretz wont walk unless the cash follows

;)


doc hock

That was a ridiculous rumor from the get go and has been squashed many times since.

OmniSens 04-06-2009 03:40 PM

Gretzky should step down...what good has he done there anyways? former great players dont always make good coaches >.<

rt 04-06-2009 03:44 PM

Wayne Gretzky should be fired, but he won't be. He should step down, but he won't. Even if the head coaching position were open(it won't be), and even if MacTavish were available(he won't be), he wouldn't be the answer.

mydnyte 04-06-2009 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattihp (Post 18903603)
Why would there be any chance a coach comes to the desert if his current team is doing well?

the better question is why would the Yotes want a coach that is sucking it up big time, and has lost control of his team, who doesnt have a history of success, but failure?

Perhaps they would go after a coach with a winning history who may become available? ...otherwise, Barry Melrose is available!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.