HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Ott-tor (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=627029)

I am Canadian 04-04-2009 10:12 PM

Ott-tor
 
I know a trade between arch rivals this large would be slim but anyways..

(DRAFT DAY)

To Tor:

Karlsson
1st 09 ( 8-10 range)


To OTT:

Kaberle
2nd/3rd


It gets Ottawa the puck moving defensemen they need and Toronto 2 nice prospects. Im thinking that Ottawa wants Karlsson to become their Kaberle.

Anyways, Flame Away.

I am Canadian 04-04-2009 10:19 PM

I think it depends if the sens want to keep gunning with their 3 stars or rebuild.

Chandrashekhar Limit 04-04-2009 10:20 PM

I think that Kaberle himself is good enough to get Karlsson and a first. Since we are division rivals, the sens would probably have to overpay. Anyways, not bad!

Leafidelity 04-04-2009 10:22 PM

This is going to get ugly

Schenn 04-04-2009 10:27 PM

its alright i guess... but i dont think toront oneeds to throw in a pick., this is.. how do i put this.. i guess "controversal" because they are arch rivals pretty much in the same boat right now..

Quik 04-04-2009 10:40 PM

Burke would be unlikely to trade Kaberle to Ottawa, but if a trade was on the table, with that pick and Karlsson, it would be both for Kaberle, no picks would go Ottawa's way other than maybe a 4th or later.

That said, Ottawa would never trade Karlsson and that pick, especially not to Toronto

Zubrus Coffee Maker 04-04-2009 10:43 PM

ottawa respectively says no, karlsson is going to end up a kaberle type player and the first can turn into a second line centre should they keep the big three

HSF 04-04-2009 10:46 PM

Karlsson and a top 10 pick potentially higher for Kaberle....


yaaaaa... Ottawa doesnt do this sry

T_Cage 04-04-2009 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Jersey Devils (Post 18880848)
ottawa respectively says no, karlsson is going to end up a kaberle type player and the first can turn into a second line centre should they keep the big three

Karlsson COULD turn into a kaberle type player. Kaberle already is a kaberle type player ;)

I think the OP is fairly fair. I dunno if TO and Ott would do business together for the same reason we dont see many NYR/NYI or Det/Colorado trades, but it looks decent.

however, i agree with The Bad Guys....this is going to get ugly.....

TheHMan 04-04-2009 10:49 PM

There no way that Ottawa does this. Karlsson has a great shot from the point and has great vision to go along with it as well. If we're patient with him, his upside is huge, AND we're throwing in our pick too.

I wouldn't do it, and it would probably be a move that would jumpstart the Leafs rebuild as well.

Zubrus Coffee Maker 04-04-2009 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T_Cage (Post 18880983)
Karlsson COULD turn into a kaberle type player. Kaberle already is a kaberle type player ;)

I think the OP is fairly fair. I dunno if TO and Ott would do business together for the same reason we dont see many NYR/NYI or Det/Colorado trades, but it looks decent.

however, i agree with The Bad Guys....this is going to get ugly.....

ya but ottawa would be best to hold onto the pick and see where karlssom takes himself, they are a bottom 7 team after all

I am Canadian 04-04-2009 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHMan (Post 18881048)
There no way that Ottawa does this. Karlsson has a great shot from the point and has great vision to go along with it as well. If we're patient with him, his upside is huge, AND we're throwing in our pick too.

I wouldn't do it, and it would probably be a move that would jumpstart the Leafs rebuild as well.

So bascially your telling me Karlsson > Kaberle. I can understand why you wouldn't want to make the trade but you need to stop falling in love with your prospects.

Zubrus Coffee Maker 04-04-2009 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Am Canadian (Post 18881398)
So bascially your telling me Karlsson > Kaberle. I can understand why you wouldn't want to make the trade but you need to stop falling in love with your prospects.

he's saying its not worth it for ottawa to lose a top 10 pick in a very good draft and a very good prospect for an aging offensive D, unless they are making a run at the cup next year.......are they?

Dick Whitman 04-05-2009 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Am Canadian (Post 18881398)
So bascially your telling me Karlsson > Kaberle. I can understand why you wouldn't want to make the trade but you need to stop falling in love with your prospects.

Kaberle != Leaf fan's value of Kaberle.

Ottawa does not want Kaberle for a top 10 first round pick and our best prospect. No team in the league would give that up for Tomas Kaberle of 2008/2009.

Jeff Carter and a first is no longer possible.

Chandrashekhar Limit 04-05-2009 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Jersey Devils (Post 18881538)
he's saying its not worth it for ottawa to lose a top 10 pick in a very good draft and a very good prospect for an aging offensive D, unless they are making a run at the cup next year.......are they?

I think they are...

grabo84 04-05-2009 12:23 AM

If it wasn't a divisional rival this deal would likely have a chance of happening. Kaberle is exactly what the sens need, now that they have a goalie. As it is though, there's little chance Burke would deal him to a rival like Ottawa unless they really overpay.

Edit: But yeah, I think Ottawa is planning on being a contender next year. I don't think Melnyk wants a long rebuild.

HSF 04-05-2009 12:36 AM

Ottawa just cant afford to lose a prospect that has this much hype to him

i havent been this pumped for one of our prospects since we drafted Jason Spezza

Our pool is already sorta weak, we can't be giving away prospects AND another top 10 pick prospect

wubwubwubwub 04-05-2009 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Am Canadian (Post 18880016)
I know a trade between arch rivals this large would be slim but anyways..

(DRAFT DAY)

To Tor:

Karlsson
1st 09 ( 8-10 range)


To OTT:

Kaberle
2nd/3rd


It gets Ottawa the puck moving defensemen they need and Toronto 2 nice prospects. Im thinking that Ottawa wants Karlsson to become their Kaberle.

Anyways, Flame Away.

Take out our 1st and I still say no. Easily.
Kaberle is obviously better now, but Karlsson will be a top defensman for 15 years. Not worth it.

GeoffreyPaul 04-05-2009 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Am Canadian (Post 18880016)
I know a trade between arch rivals this large would be slim but anyways..

(DRAFT DAY)

To Tor:

Karlsson
1st 09 ( 8-10 range)


To OTT:

Kaberle
2nd/3rd


It gets Ottawa the puck moving defensemen they need and Toronto 2 nice prospects. Im thinking that Ottawa wants Karlsson to become their Kaberle.

Anyways, Flame Away.

I have a hard time seeing Burke trade Kaberle to a division rival, you is also a Canadian team, who are in the same sort of position as the Leafs are in. Not to mention that Burke can have his pick of teams that would love to have Kaberle once the season ends.

The deal you propose isn't horrible, but I just don't think that is makes sense team wise.

obsenssive* 04-05-2009 01:39 AM

The value is sorta good. I'd rather not give up our first, giving a 2nd and another prospect perhaps.

But, that value wise. I'd never do this deal in real life. Kaberle is great and all, but Ottawa isn't going anywhere next year either. Maybe they'll make the playoffs, but chances are they aren't gonna be a top 5 team in the East.

Ottawa also has a lot of money tied up in forwards. We need to bring in cheap, cheap D. Kaberle is cheap for his level of play. He's not cheap for Ottawa's salary cap. Karlsson would be much cheaper, even though he's most likely not gonna come over until 10/11.

And Kaberle is a UFA after next year (or is it in two years?). Not worth throwing away a young D-man with huge potential that will be rather cheap for a few years along with a chance at high level player this draft.

KingKarlsson 04-05-2009 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grabo84 (Post 18883033)
If it wasn't a divisional rival this deal would likely have a chance of happening. Kaberle is exactly what the sens need, now that they have a goalie. As it is though, there's little chance Burke would deal him to a rival like Ottawa unless they really overpay.

Edit: But yeah, I think Ottawa is planning on being a contender next year. I don't think Melnyk wants a long rebuild.

I desperately hope that Murray doesn't make a move like this. We're finally getting some solid prospect depth, and Karlsson's our only real blue chipper. I don't think the value is really that far off for a team really going for it, with a deep prospect pool, and only a very good puck mover away from being put over the top.

With that being said, Ottawa's not in that position. We need to re-tool, and we're best off keeping our draft picks instead of trading them for 30+ year old veterans. Ottawa doesn't, and shouldn't do this deal.

I also believe Ottawa stands a helluva lot more to lose by this trade to a division rival. Karlsson could bust, but he has looked promising so far, and looks like he could be a gamebreaker from the back end. Kaberle's play with the Sens wouldn't really affect the Leafs because they should be in their rebuild for the duration of Kaberle's contract. Karlsson, on the other hand, could haunt the Sens for the next 10-15 years, like Rask could do with Boston.

The Leafs pick would absolutely have to be included for this deal to make sense, IMO. At this point in his career, I don't believe Kaberle's worth a top-10 draft pick and another first round prospect.

IdiotsPickedMyName* 04-05-2009 01:40 AM

The only realistic part of this thread is Burke trading TO's second, he hates second rounders.

danishh 04-05-2009 04:46 AM

this would mean ottawa saying "all in" on the next 2 seasons. I'm not sure if kaberle is worth doing that.

SixthSens 04-05-2009 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingKarlsson (Post 18884382)
I desperately hope that Murray doesn't make a move like this. We're finally getting some solid prospect depth, and Karlsson's our only real blue chipper. I don't think the value is really that far off for a team really going for it, with a deep prospect pool, and only a very good puck mover away from being put over the top.

With that being said, Ottawa's not in that position. We need to re-tool, and we're best off keeping our draft picks instead of trading them for 30+ year old veterans. Ottawa doesn't, and shouldn't do this deal.

I also believe Ottawa stands a helluva lot more to lose by this trade to a division rival. Karlsson could bust, but he has looked promising so far, and looks like he could be a gamebreaker from the back end. Kaberle's play with the Sens wouldn't really affect the Leafs because they should be in their rebuild for the duration of Kaberle's contract. Karlsson, on the other hand, could haunt the Sens for the next 10-15 years, like Rask could do with Boston.

The Leafs pick would absolutely have to be included for this deal to make sense, IMO. At this point in his career, I don't believe Kaberle's worth a top-10 draft pick and another first round prospect.


This.

Scrambllllle 04-05-2009 08:16 AM

I'd rather at least 6 years of Karlsson and our 1st rounder this year than 2 years of Kaberle


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.