HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Would you throw filthy money at Franzen? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=627162)

Jack Bourdain 04-05-2009 11:38 AM

Would you throw filthy money at Franzen?

Ok, rather then trading for Lecavalier, I'm thinking we can get something (maybe not as good) equally talented and at a cheaper price:

If we don't re-sign Lang and one of Koivu + Kovalev (I'd like to see both come back for 1 more year), we would have enough money to sign Franzen at an above market price (going with the whole "Must pay UFA's more to play in MTL"). Not counting Brisebois, Bouillon and Dandenault contracts that are expiring, we'd have some moving room to re-sign others, maybe give Tanger a new contract and get our RFA's to sign cheap.

I know I am getting way ahead of myself, but bottom line is I'd like to see Habs sign Franzen to a 4.5M-5.5M deal, for 4-5 years. He could be a serviceable 1st line center and move down to 2nd line duty by the time we draft a real 1st line center?

What say?

Bill McNeal 04-05-2009 11:42 AM

Holland has incriminating photos that explain why he's called "mule."

He'll stay there and for cheap. But I'd definitely make a pitch if he were available.

MonacoBlue 04-05-2009 11:42 AM

Don't get your hopes up. Reports are that he'll re-sign at a discount in Detroit. Apparently, he realizes that he has to take a paycut to play for a competitive team. Given Detroit's ability to retain its players, this really is a pipe dream.

On the other hand, Hossa will probably hit the market. We should go after him. I still want Hossa. If there was some way to replace Kovalev with Hossa, I would do it.

Jack Bourdain 04-05-2009 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonacoBlue (Post 18887780)
Don't get your hopes up. Reports are that he'll re-sign at a discount in Detroit. Apparently, he realizes that he has to take a paycut to play for a competitive team. Given Detroit's ability to retain its players, this really is a pipe dream.

On the other hand, Hossa will probably hit the market. We should go after him. I still want Hossa. If there was some way to replace Kovalev with Hossa, I would do it.

It's exciting to play the Habs GM game this off-season, since so many contracts are expiring and money just seems to be there to go after whoever we want.

My friend wants to see Bouwmeester suit up for Bleu, Blanc et Rouge, but I'm thinking that's way too expensive in the salary cap era. He would be getting a Zdeno Chara type of deal I'm guessing.

Russian Warrior 04-05-2009 11:42 AM

He'll probably stay with the Ailes Rouges..

Myron Gaines* 04-05-2009 11:43 AM

I'd take him anytime,but he'll stay with Detroit for sure.

WeThreeKings 04-05-2009 11:45 AM

I would throw a ridiculous amount of money at him.

PhysicalTorque 04-05-2009 11:46 AM

Franzen is ours pal, I called it first, you guys don't have a single Swede in your lineup, how is he supposed to adapt?

I saw you had one, only one on your list of prospects, keys to victory: Draft more Swedes!

Good luck, go deep in the playoffs, since you guys are the only Canadian team in the East.:)

bhuya71 04-05-2009 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhysicalTorque (Post 18887850)
Franzen is ours pal, I called it first, you guys don't have a single Swede in your lineup, how is he supposed to adapt?

I saw you had one, only one on your list of prospects, keys to victory: Draft more Swedes!

Good luck, go deep in the playoffs, since you guys are the only Canadian team in the East.:)

go away troll :sarcasm: JOKING!!!

lol the key to drafting victory is swedes eh...shouldn't sens tank for hedman :naughty:

but seriously you guys have your first line centre so LEAVE HIM BE!!! he is ours for the taking................. :D

BLONG7 04-05-2009 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeThreeKings (Post 18887835)
I would throw a ridiculous amount of money at him.

He has already indicated he will take less than market value to stay in Detroit...I like these kind of guys, who think winning in the organization that drafted them, is more important than the OPEN MARKET( see Andrei Markov)

LyleOdelein 04-05-2009 12:11 PM

Franzen will sign a long term deal with the Wings at way under his market value. When it comes to negotiating contracts, Holland always gets a crazy deal. I think he uses the Don Corleone technique. "Either your signiture or you brains will be on this contract in 5 seconds."

GoldenForum 04-05-2009 12:27 PM

Absofrigginlutely! He and JBo are the prizes to be had...but I too doubt the Wings will not resign Franzen. The guys a tank with hands of butta, great shot, and a beautiful stride. He's going to be one of the premier NHLers in a few years.

Coldplay 04-05-2009 12:36 PM

I'd throw ridiculous money at either Hossa or Bouwmeester.

Kirk Muller 04-05-2009 12:36 PM

J-Bo is likely the only guy i'd throw ridiculous amount of money at. At his age, where is game is currently and where it could end up, he could be your corner stone for a long time.

Personally i am hesitant about Hossa. Two years in a row where production isn't close to 7 million dollars worth.

sheed36 04-05-2009 12:43 PM

According to the Detroit Free Press Franzan is in negotiations with the Wings on a new contract and is close to re-signing to a long term contract....

http://www.freep.com/article/2009040...904030460/1048

SNM87 04-05-2009 12:47 PM

should be a very interesting off-season, very excited to see what happens

Chomsky 04-05-2009 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheed36 (Post 18888546)
According to the Detroit Free Press Franzan is in negotiations with the Wings on a new contract and is close to re-signing to a long term contract....

http://www.freep.com/article/2009040...904030460/1048

The same was same about Hossa. And they can't sign both.

Oh and Franzen:

Miller Time 04-05-2009 01:35 PM

tough call, on the one hand, he's exactly the kind of player we've been dreaming of (power forward willing to do the gritty stuff and talented enough to do the pretty stuff), on the other hand, without a real/consistent top line centre signed for next year, it would be a waste to throw money at him and then have no one left for him to play with....

that said, if we were to massively overpay someone, i'd want it to be JBo or Hossa, both are better and more valuable than Franzen.

Redux91 04-05-2009 01:36 PM

I would do unforgivable things to get 1 of :

Gaborik
Hossa
Franzen
Bouwmeester

trade for : vinny or kovalchuk

just get me 1 of these guys and im happy, but i wouldnt mind getting tanguay back

mongoose7385* 04-05-2009 01:43 PM

I would Sign Jbo, and trade for Vinny. Strong defenceman and young too, and with Vinny he might have a high price tag but he will be worth it for the Habs when he is scoring 40 goals.:handclap:

Redux91 04-05-2009 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SledgeHammer (Post 18889332)
I would Sign Jbo, and trade for Vinny. Strong defenceman and young too, and with Vinny he might have a high price tag but he will be worth it for the Habs when he is scoring 40 goals.:handclap:

id be in favor of this as well..we just, we MUST get a center, we just have to, i wouldnt mind shipping any pleks akost or sergkosts, not anymore, i love em still but i can see now how it is with these guys... it hurts but :/

habtastic 04-05-2009 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirk Muller (Post 18888441)
J-Bo is likely the only guy i'd throw ridiculous amount of money at. At his age, where is game is currently and where it could end up, he could be your corner stone for a long time.

Personally i am hesitant about Hossa. Two years in a row where production isn't close to 7 million dollars worth.

Same here. J-Bo is all we need, plus throwing ridiculous amounts of money at Tony Robbins who would hopefully make all the players play at their full potential. Just imagine right now that Higgy, AKost and Pleks were burning it up like the first line. WOW. I think we would be amongst the best. Also, that includes Komi and Hammer playing like blueline studs and having that all important co-no.1 D in Jay.

Iwishihadacup 04-05-2009 02:14 PM

I would throw boatloads of money at him

habtastic 04-05-2009 02:16 PM

I would throw an octopus at him. Maybe he'd change his mind about the whole Det thing given we might get rented by PETA (not)

DeVries* 04-05-2009 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux91 (Post 18889254)
I would do unforgivable things to get 1 of :

Gaborik
Hossa
Franzen
Bouwmeester

trade for : vinny or kovalchuk

just get me 1 of these guys and im happy, but i wouldnt mind getting tanguay back

Same.