HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   taping the toe of a stick? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=627230)

dutchcrunch14 04-05-2009 03:42 PM

taping the toe of a stick?
 
how do you tape the toe of the blade properly? i see it all the time now. is there some trick?

http://hockeydraft.ca/blog/wp-conten...ex-burrows.jpg
like burrows' stick above

Gunnar Stahl 30 04-05-2009 03:44 PM

what i do when i tape the toe is, with a rounded toe, i tape it normally so the excess tape hangs off the toe then just cut the excess tape real close off from the top and bottom. this way you dont get any wrinkles

dutchcrunch14 04-05-2009 03:45 PM

i got a square toe.. any hints for that?

Gunnar Stahl 30 04-05-2009 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dutchcrunch14 (Post 18890930)
i got a square toe.. any hints for that?

it should be even easier. one of my sticks that i tape the toe of his a square toe. try taping toe to heel so you dont have excess tape on the edge of it. sometimes if you tape heel to toe, the tape doesnt quite real the toe and if you put another layer on it, it is too much and would hang off the side. so just tape it from toe to heel normally and cut off the excess tape on the top and bottom of the blade

dirtydevs9 04-05-2009 07:11 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIQKPf7St6M

dutchcrunch14 04-05-2009 07:30 PM

thanks all

Gunnar Stahl 30 04-05-2009 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 24godard (Post 18894024)

i dont do it that way. it looks sloppy. i dont do that first piece of tape over the toe like he does. i like one strip of tape the whole way through. i dont like ripping the tape and putting small pieces of tape on the exposed parts of the blade like its an arts and crafts project. i just get it all on one strip of tape

like i said, i just tape it normally, press together the excess hanging tape, then cut it off close to the blade.

hubby1746 04-05-2009 07:51 PM

sometimes it can be a pain in the ass, i dont do it for wooden blades, but i would do it for composite blades just to protect it more since they cost so much money, but idk ive never used a composite blade before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPglivB0VcU

Ive never seen anyone tape their stick like Erik Cole, but its kinda cool.

Blackjack 04-05-2009 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hubby1746 (Post 18894652)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPglivB0VcU

Ive never seen anyone tape their stick like Erik Cole, but its kinda cool.

I did that for street hockey once after I taped a stick the regular way and discovered that it would not slide on the pavement. I've never thought of doing it for ice, but I might have to give it a shot. I imagine it would actually benefit me more than Erik, since I don't get a nice smooth sheet of ice every 20 minutes. Also, I don't think I skate quite as fast as he does.

noobman 04-05-2009 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hubby1746 (Post 18894652)
sometimes it can be a pain in the ass, i dont do it for wooden blades, but i would do it for composite blades just to protect it more since they cost so much money, but idk ive never used a composite blade before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPglivB0VcU

Ive never seen anyone tape their stick like Erik Cole, but its kinda cool.

I do that for ball hockey (minus the adhesive) except I used to use separate strips for the front and back of the blade, as opposed to wrapping it around.


For ice hockey, I tape my stick like Patrick Kane:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fi5NjE0SPs

Nigelbilt 04-05-2009 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 (Post 18894418)
i dont do it that way. it looks sloppy. i dont do that first piece of tape over the toe like he does. i like one strip of tape the whole way through. i dont like ripping the tape and putting small pieces of tape on the exposed parts of the blade like its an arts and crafts project. i just get it all on one strip of tape

like i said, i just tape it normally, press together the excess hanging tape, then cut it off close to the blade.

I tape the same as you, cut the excess off around the toe

dutchcrunch14 04-05-2009 11:42 PM

wow that is interesting, gunna have to try that

cptjeff 04-05-2009 11:45 PM

Keep in mind that if you tape it up the way Cole does it'll tear up your blade a lot faster. If that's not a concern for you, go ahead, but if it is, don't do anything like that.

dutchcrunch14 04-06-2009 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cptjeff (Post 18897863)
Keep in mind that if you tape it up the way Cole does it'll tear up your blade a lot faster. If that's not a concern for you, go ahead, but if it is, don't do anything like that.

yea i was thinking of a strip on the bottom as well but wtv i taped the toe of my stick before i saw that... try it out see if i like it when my current tape job needs to be replaced

hubby1746 04-06-2009 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cptjeff (Post 18897863)
Keep in mind that if you tape it up the way Cole does it'll tear up your blade a lot faster. If that's not a concern for you, go ahead, but if it is, don't do anything like that.

Ya id imagine it would. He did say the tape outlasts the stick, but how long do his sticks last i wonder? Especially with no tape on the bottom. But for him, he has the luxury of not giving a ****.

cptjeff 04-06-2009 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dutchcrunch14 (Post 18901589)
yea i was thinking of a strip on the bottom as well but wtv i taped the toe of my stick before i saw that... try it out see if i like it when my current tape job needs to be replaced

I take a strip of shin tape and put it along the bottom, and melt it on with a lighter or heat gun before I put the wrap on.

Gunnar Stahl 30 04-06-2009 05:51 PM

who are you guys talking about? eric cole?

Blackjack 04-06-2009 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cptjeff (Post 18906858)
I take a strip of shin tape and put it along the bottom, and melt it on with a lighter or heat gun before I put the wrap on.

You mean the clear stuff?

dutchcrunch14 04-06-2009 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cptjeff (Post 18906858)
I take a strip of shin tape and put it along the bottom, and melt it on with a lighter or heat gun before I put the wrap on.

how long does this take to wear down? longer than a normal strip of stick tape?

iceman_88888888 04-07-2009 02:26 AM

i've tried the erik cole tape job for about a month now (play about twice a week) and i haven't had a problem with my blade breaking down. maybe i'm just lucky but either way, it's pretty sweet. you definitely notice how there's less friction on the ice.

cptjeff 04-07-2009 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dutchcrunch14 (Post 18911115)
how long does this take to wear down? longer than a normal strip of stick tape?

That's the idea. At the very least it won't absorb any moisture that would soften normal tape causing it to wear faster.

hubby1746 04-07-2009 06:11 PM

anybody use erik coles curve from nikebauer?

cptjeff 04-07-2009 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hubby1746 (Post 18923853)
anybody use erik coles curve from nikebauer?

Just for fun I looked it up and it's nothing like he actually uses. Look at the vid, he has a huge toe hook. If there was a reasonable lie on those things I would love to snap up a few pro stocks.

But the retail looks like a mild sakic with an unusable lie of 7. No thanks.

hubby1746 04-07-2009 07:34 PM

ya im asking cuz just for fun i made a stick on nikebauerid, just to see wat it was like, and the blade i picked turned out to be Coles. But then i saw the lie 7.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.