HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Anyone else find it suspicious Sather helped out the Canadian clubs? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=62769)

Habs 03-17-2004 10:16 AM

Anyone else find it suspicious Sather helped out the Canadian clubs?

Reflecting back on the trade deadline, a little late I know, does anyone think old Sather was helping out the Canadian teams with a little preference?

The trades:

Montreal - Kovalev
Toronto - Leetch
Ottawa - De Vries
Calgary - Simon
Edmonton- Nedved
Vancouver-Rucinsky

I realize all the teams gave up some sort of asset to acquire these players, but Sather had no problem trading within the division, and the Canadian teams helped themselve's out nicely, seemingly with priority over the US market.

Maybe old Sather had an agenda?

Darz 03-17-2004 10:21 AM

Sounds a little to conspiracy theory to me.

I believe it was a coincident, personally. Those teams just happened to be in the buyers group and slats was in the sellers group.

#44_delivers 03-17-2004 10:22 AM

the only team that i see that sather really helped waz edmonton by paying nedved's contract for the remainder of the season.
some of those other teams payed alote to get who they wanted.

Prrebel 03-17-2004 10:51 AM

I don't think he was being nice. He absolutly fleesed Toronto, Ottawa and Vancouver.

Toronto - Leetch, conditional pick
Rangers - Maxium Kondratiev, Jarkko Immonen, 1st and 2nd round pick in '04 & '05
The Rangers got 2 prospects that the Leafs were high on (abit, the Leafs farm is rather barren)

Vancouver - Rucinsky
Rangers - Martin Grenier, R J Umberger
The Rangers get 2 good prospects.

Ottawa - Greg De Vries
Rangers - Karel Rachunek, Alexandre Giroux
Again the Rangers get 2 good prospects

I think Sather saw them coming and unloaded old $$$$ tallent for some really good young talent. I think the Rangers are set to make a playoff run in 3 years, and be contendors for years after.... unless they didn't learn anything from the last 6 years, and start to buy old guys again. Of course they would have to fight Toronto for the rights to any players coming out of the "Sunshine Acres" retirment home.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse 03-17-2004 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prrebel
I don't think he was being nice. He absolutly fleesed Toronto, Ottawa and Vancouver.

Toronto - Leetch, conditional pick
Rangers - Maxium Kondratiev, Jarkko Immonen, 1st and 2nd round pick in '04 & '05
The Rangers got 2 prospects that the Leafs were high on (abit, the Leafs farm is rather barren)

Vancouver - Rucinsky
Rangers - Martin Grenier, R J Umberger
The Rangers get 2 good prospects.

Ottawa - Greg De Vries
Rangers - Karel Rachunek, Alexandre Giroux
Again the Rangers get 2 good prospects

I don`t think any of those prospects were exactly highly touted guys. Umberger was unsigned so it`s not like the Nucks lost anything there. Rachunek isn`t a prospect, from what I`ve heard he sounds alittle mistake prone. And you can ask the leaf fans but I don`t think anyone is high on Immonen or Kondratiev. The best prospect the Rangers added during the trade deadline was probably Balej. Hands down.

Marksman 03-17-2004 11:35 AM

Sather also traded Barnaby to Colorado and Malakhov to Philadelphia. I dont think he had a special agenda, it just seems like it because all six canadian teams were playoff bound, looking for improvements.

PaulPosition 03-17-2004 11:38 AM

Don't forget that, all in all, the canadian dollar had one of its best year in a decade or so. Maybe canadian team owners felt that that was it, if they wanted to trade it was now or never?